PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter

440ex_rider21
12-01-2011, 11:21 PM
i have a 00 and i have heard two other 400s that bounce off the rev limiter. but i rev mine up really high and get scared that something will get messed up. i still never hit it. is there any way of adjusting it??? please help!!

smorris1
12-02-2011, 08:26 AM
There is no way to adjust the rev limit unless you have a dynatek or vortex programmable ignition. Do you have the stock CDI? These 400's shouldnt be hitting the rev limits anyways.

ish416
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
If you hit the rev limiter, your riding an EX wrong.

atvrider13
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
More than likely the "other 2" 400exs are off on their jetting causing this,or highly mdded. Sounds like either yours is jetted properly and or not as modded.

01boneless
12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
the rev limeter is there to stopr the engine from over reving it stops reving at safe rpms. HITING the rev limeter is not going to hurt the engine. i wouldent hold it there for 2 secs tho .

dxcody
12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
i have only hit my rev limiter once. I was dragging out in the backyard and i hit neutral

Just like boneless said, they are at a safe rpm range, but i wouldnt just sit there and try to blow it up haha

The 400's rev pretty high before the limiter kicks in, but there isnt any need to back it down.

It doesnt help you any to hit the rev limiter... I just wanted to type something in color haha

JOHNDOE83
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Bouncing off the rev limiter isnt the rev limiter!

I know from experience and in my jetting thread I show that its from being slightly to rich!

If they back down the jetting till it stops it will be jetted perfectly...lol.

But that is NOT the rev limiter!!!

It "IS" jetting, related to being to rich!

Even www.jetsrus.com describes it.

ish416
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Bouncing off the rev limiter isnt the rev limiter! I know from experience and in my jetting thread I show that its from being slightly to rich! If they back down the jetting till it stops it will be jetted perfectly...lol. But that is NOT the rev limiter!!! It "IS" jetting, related to being to rich! Even www.jetsrus.com describes it.

So when I hit 9100 rpm on my EX where the rev limiter is supposed to kick in, it's actually just my carb not being jetted correctly? Because I'm quite sure that a rev limiter stops the ignition from firing once a certain rpm is reached. Hence the stuttering sound any vehicle makes when it hits one.

Are you sure you aren't mistaken for a fuel cut off? Mostly found on automobiles, it is where the computer only allows a certain amount of fuel to be dumped into the engine thus limiting engine rpm.

JOHNDOE83
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
No, I unlockd the computer on my EX with a iphone ;)

Im positive, ask jetsrus.

Ive tried several different rev limiters also, Ive seen the difference.

And if it backfires with that, its to lean.

It sounds like a sport bike rev limiter right?