PDA

View Full Version : 250 simple mods

Lquad71
12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello, my friend is going to race a bone stock 250 in a 6 hour endurance race and i was just wondering what would be some simple things he could do to make the ride a little better. Anything super cheap or things that you can do already stock that would make a difference. Ive never dealt with these quads before so sorry if im a little ignorant.

RyanWsly
12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Take the clutch actuator arm and flatten it out. you can do it with it still in the engine and it will reduce the clutch pull big time. you may have to adjust that little loop holder thing so it is a straight shot again and you may also have to take a small amount of material off of the side of the cylinder so it will clear because it is longer. you can do it with vice grips, just keep working on it and then start tweeking on that loop till it pulls easiest. I will warn you it will look bit funny unless you remove it and use something besides vice grips but is well worth your effort. any added length by flattening will help out his "arm pump" from running the clutch. you can also "clip" the throttle spring or get a weaker one and put it in, if you "clip" the top off make sure you go in small increments, you take too much off and the slide will hang. these are two things I have done to mine that are easily done and make life a lot more pleasant.

bean-oil
12-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Well I see that you have a 450r, If you had a set of stock 450r shocks sitting around and if you let him borrow those it would sure help out the suspension a bit. I put 450r shocks on my bike and it felt much better over stock.

markk
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
i also see your in cali- tire selection is huge deal man! proper air preasure in the tires make sure the front end is setup properly and if the frame is guseted you might wana get some peices of strap steel and make some homemade gussets for the thing!

Lquad71
12-01-2011, 08:29 PM
yea i have some of my stock shocks so ill try that out. do they bolt right on fine? We have tires already figured out, that was like the first thing.

bean-oil
12-01-2011, 08:51 PM
The should bolt up with no problems. You might want to adjust them because they will be a bit stiff. Once you soften the settings on the shocks they feel pretty good. Just curious, what kind of terrain is the endurance race?

RyanWsly
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
He's right the 450R shocks will bolt up, but the shrouds may be in the way if he still has stock ones. you can stuff them behind the with some work or run the shocks backwards, as in resi facing forward. the problem with those shocks is they are very stiff even with the spring backed off and the compression backed out. unless he is a fairly heavy guy they will beat on him and make it push in corners. I have ridden them both ways and would personally run the stock shocks if not blown over 450R take offs, just my opinion though.

HAYESTRX250R
12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?src=directory&view=AMBTestimonials&srctype=AMBTestimonials_lister