PDA

View Full Version : Just curious as to this...

4WheelinDemon
11-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Ok, i know my timing chain tensioner is very bad. And i def noticed a bid drop in speed. i use to be able to go around 80, now id be lucky to hit 60-65. Would it be possibile that a bad tensioner can decrease power and speed and overall performance of the 400 engine?

Also, when i first start the bike up it decides it wants to spit like whore out the carb all the time. Right now im running the stock carb instead of the 450r carb since the 450r cable kinda snapped :,[
All the things about the bike are below in my signiture. Can you tell me the best possible carb settings for her? Right now its winter near me in scranton, PA. Thank you!

400man
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
it may have jumped a tooth on the cam sprocket...? Either way I probably wouldnt even start it with a bad tensioner, your running a fairly high risk of doing some major damage to your topend if it was to jump time quite a bit.

ish416
12-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Unless you feel like destroying the engine I would not start it until you fix the tensioner.

Pipeless416
12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
with stock gearing, you are not running 80. top speed is also definitely not a good way to be checking for engine issues. definitely get the new tensioner and reset your valve clearances.

DragonGunner
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
with stock gearing, you are not running 80. top speed is also definitely not a good way to be checking for engine issues. definitely get the new tensioner and reset your valve clearances.

This^...not sure about your carb spitting...usually in real cold weather you may need to lean up the main jet, make sure your air filter is clean too.

Your future gearing will drop your top speed of around 65 (if your running stock) down to around 45......ooooch.

01boneless
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
how high was the airplane you droped the quad out of to hit 80 ?? :devil: jk

honda400ex2003
12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
This^...not sure about your carb spitting...usually in real cold weather you may need to lean up the main jet , make sure your air filter is clean too.

Your future gearing will drop your top speed of around 65 (if your running stock) down to around 45......ooooch.

which is completely WRONG and would be really bad since it is already leaner in the cold than when it is warm...

richen it up for cold, 1-2 jet sizes bigger on the main depending on the temps it was jetted at in the summer and what you are running in during the winter. another 1/2 turn out on the f/a screw usually covers the pilot enough to have it run good once warmed up. usually it is about 1 size for everyone 20 degree drop or increase for up or down on jetting from where it was jetted at originally.

get your tensioner fixed, fix your lean jetting, adjust your clearances and clean the air filter. after that see how it does.

steve

DragonGunner
12-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
which is completely WRONG and would be really bad since it is already leaner in the cold than when it is warm...

richen it up for cold, 1-2 jet sizes bigger on the main depending on the temps it was jetted at in the summer and what you are running in during the winter. another 1/2 turn out on the f/a screw usually covers the pilot enough to have it run good once warmed up. usually it is about 1 size for everyone 20 degree drop or increase for up or down on jetting from where it was jetted at originally.

get your tensioner fixed, fix your lean jetting, adjust your clearances and clean the air filter. after that see how it does.

steve

YOUR RIGHT!!! I must of had a brain fart on the jetting, Thanks for correcting me....I'm getting old I guess.

JOHNDOE83
12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
how high was the airplane you droped the quad out of to hit 80 ?? :devil: jk

I dont know about 80mph on a 400ex, I know for a proven fact that mine will do 70mph flat out in 4th yes 4th gear, I dunno about 5th.

The gearing calculator says I would be doing 82mph in fifth, not yet proven.

70mph in fourth gear is a fact.

01boneless
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
no doubt a 400 set up for dragging will run 70 in 4th 5th maybe 75.

ish416
12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I dont know about 80mph on a 400ex, I know for a proven fact that mine will do 70mph flat out in 4th yes 4th gear, I dunno about 5th.

I've trapped 78 at the drag strip on my EX with stock gearing and stock 300 EX rear tires with way to much air in them.

Stickman400
12-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Not trying to start a mph war but I've had someone on a Harley ride beside me and he said I was doin 75 when I was still on my stock bore, compression and 15/38 gearing with 20s. Again, not trying to start a war, but it seems people underestimate what a 400 can do. I plan on taking a gps unit on mine sometime and see what it can do. 80 is far fetched but 75 seems very reachable.

4WheelinDemon
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Ok, here it is...

ive adjhusted the valves to the correct clearences, the k&n air filter was just cleaned and recharged the day before i posted this. New HiFlo oil filter as well the day before this post. and i have ordered a new tensioner but the guy has taken over 4 weeks to get in (Cycle Playground) is the shop name. Hes right down the street from me.
As for the 80mph i kid you not, my buddy has a 2010 Raptor 700r se that has the speedo on it and i toped out at 80 or 79 mph. Thats no lie with stock gearing. I have an aftermarket CDI so that helped out as well with the top speed.
As for the rejetting, i think ill just go up in a pilot size as well as go up in main. Right now in the stock 400 carb im running 185m and i think its 48p? not to sure about the pilot jetting right now lol. I believe its on 3rd clip, which i might go to the 4th just to richen her up a bit because when im whinning it out it has trouble in high rpm's(not getting enough gas for sure).
And my question still wasnt answered...Would a bad timing chain tensioner rob the bikes top speed and power and overall performance? Because ive definitely lost alot of power and top speed.
Sorry for spelling, i just woke up hahaha.

audioworks04
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
The amount of power has nothing to do with how fast you can go. A stock bike can go just as fast as a built bike with same gearing and same rev limiter. All you are changing is how fast you get to that speed, assuming it has enough power to pull itself in its top gear.

finsteratv
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by audioworks04
The amount of power has nothing to do with how fast you can go. A stock bike can go just as fast as a built bike with same gearing and same rev limiter. All you are changing is how fast you get to that speed, assuming it has enough power to pull itself in its top gear. winner winner

01boneless
12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
to answer ur question. bad tentioner can hurt performance dont know about top speed just replace it and go on with your day mho

ish416
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
As for the 80mph i kid you not, my buddy has a 2010 Raptor 700r se that has the speedo on it and i toped out at 80 or 79 mph. Thats no lie with stock gearing. I have an aftermarket CDI so that helped out as well with the top speed.

Those speedo's are known to be 7-10% high. According to my WR250R (which has the same instrument display and speed sensor in the tranny) I am doing 68 - 70 following cars down the highway when I know they are only doing about 60. I am going 50 when the car I'm following is doing 40. So, they are off by quite a bit.

4WheelinDemon
12-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Alrighty well the bike is now tuned in for winter. All i need now is my tensioner to come in -_- its been weeks....Its BS lol anymore im just getting all my parts off of ebay new.