PDA

View Full Version : New to the 400ex scene

rockbrook
11-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Sup guys, I just recently traded my Scrambler in for this 03' 400ex. I am really impressed with it so far. Only few things i dont like about it right now is how tight the clutch is when pulling it in, and the Throttle is stiff too, well compared to the throttle and clutch lever on my dads raptor 700 it seems stiff.
Other than that i love the bike, i wanna start giving it more power maybe start off with an 450r carb then go from there. Any other ideas on what upgrades i could use would be helpful as well. I'm riding with Raptor 700's btw i know i wont see them on open roads but in the trails is where i plan on shining the most.
heres a lil walk around of i did the other day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYH-paAmOMg

CJM
11-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Lube the throttle cable, but yes its stiffer than a raptors will be.

Also lube your clutch cable and check to see if its melted near the headers. If it is buy a 92 honda 250x cable and route it along the frame instead of the stupid stock design where it goes into the headers.

Best power is following:
-Slip on
-Air filter
-Stage 1 hotcam
-450r carb

You wanna spend more a hi comp 11;1 piston and a stage 2 hotcam combo will be super nice.

finsteratv
11-30-2011, 08:39 AM
welcome! you may also want to make sure your throttle cable doesnt have any slack in it and you can grind your inner header welds for a little more umph.

DirtyBirdRacing
11-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Welcome, Most members will tell you to upgrade the shocks first you can only go as fast as the bike and you can handle. then look in to playing with the motor Some ideas of what to look in to
450R front stock shocks - Easy cheap up grade
Hot cam stage 1
Sparks +6 Timing key, (about $20 gives it more throttle response CAN NOT USE if you are going with hi Compression)
Grind you stock header welds as someone has said
04-05 450R Carb, Zrpilot sells an adapter for them that makes it easy to bolt up...
Maybe open up the air box to let it breath a little better
Aftermarket Slip on
and properly Re jet the carb.

rockbrook
01-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
buy a 92 honda 250x cable
I think i am just going to buy one of these, will it fit without modifications?

dxcody
01-30-2012, 12:12 AM
yes sir, it fits right up.

As mentioned, you have to route it different but no mods required.

steve181
01-30-2012, 09:39 AM
if you have the cap for your exhaust put it back on

it will ruin your valves

Stickman400
01-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Looks like you scored a pretty good, clean bike man. Welcome to the forums, everyone has pretty much mentioned what you can do for good, easy power on these things. Have fun with it!

TheAwesomehonda
01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice 400ex man!! hey i've fixed the problem of the clutch pulling hard it isn't the cable its the clutch lever its self don't waste your money on a cable....http://www.ebay.com/itm/clutch-lever-pro-style-quick-adjust-clutch-lever-honda-250r-400ex-banshee-yfz-lt-/230696040215?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b68e3717 < this is the link to the lever i've got it will fix your problem and be MUCH ezer to pull but You'll need the parking brake broke off to http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lonestar-Racing-block-off-plate-Honda-TRX400EX-2000-through-08-Lonestar-L-K-/230671809082?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b51c7a3a < this is the one i've got and then You will get rid off the E brake cable and all that junk. and your question on the trottle cable don't waste your money on a new one because you'll need a new 450r trottle cable when u get the 450r carb. I wouldn't recommend getting the 450r carb until you have exhaust and K&N air filter with no lid because it wont do as much with no other mods. Its alittle hard to install but I just installed mine and i'm still getting the jeting right.. so thats what i think.

rockbrook
01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks! Took her out for a ride yesterday and the bike drove pretty good I love how i the bike handles, it bogged a couple times while riding. but other than that I got whooped on by a 700 Grizzly though lol. That was a complete shock to me as i didnt know how quick those things are. After i get that Clutch Lever i think i'll look into getting a Sparks Key to help with my throttle response. Oh and i dont have the cap for my exhaust, it came like this when i bought it. Guess i should grab one off of Ebay?

steve181
01-30-2012, 12:54 PM
you could prob grab a end cap off a member on the forums for alot cheaper

ive seen the whole muffler sell for that much

beastlywarrior
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rockbrook
Thanks! Took her out for a ride yesterday and the bike drove pretty good I love how i the bike handles, it bogged a couple times while riding. but other than that I got whooped on by a 700 Grizzly though lol. That was a complete shock to me as i didnt know how quick those things are. After i get that Clutch Lever i think i'll look into getting a Sparks Key to help with my throttle response. Oh and i dont have the cap for my exhaust, it came like this when i bought it. Guess i should grab one off of Ebay?
dont worry about it your valves will be fine

HondaRacing83
01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Nice 400ex man!! hey i've fixed the problem of the clutch pulling hard it isn't the cable its the clutch lever its self don't waste your money on a cable....http://www.ebay.com/itm/clutch-lever-pro-style-quick-adjust-clutch-lever-honda-250r-400ex-banshee-yfz-lt-/230696040215?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b68e3717 < this is the link to the lever i've got it will fix your problem and be MUCH ezer to pull but You'll need the parking brake broke off to http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lonestar-Racing-block-off-plate-Honda-TRX400EX-2000-through-08-Lonestar-L-K-/230671809082?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b51c7a3a < this is the one i've got and then You will get rid off the E brake cable and all that junk. and your question on the trottle cable don't waste your money on a new one because you'll need a new 450r trottle cable when u get the 450r carb. I wouldn't recommend getting the 450r carb until you have exhaust and K&N air filter with no lid because it wont do as much with no other mods. Its alittle hard to install but I just installed mine and i'm still getting the jeting right.. so thats what i think. Your dumb..
If you ride a lot of trails, a K&N will ruin your motor. Especially with the lid open! I don't know what this guy is thinking! So, get a foam filter. UNI, Twin Air, Moose, CSR, etc. You could even get an Outerwears cover. Just keep your Airbox lid on. At most, drill holes just keep it on. Grind the welds in the header, other than that the stock header design is pretty good. Deff just get a slip on. Don't waste your money on a new tip. Whatever you do, don't buy a DG,COBRA,PHOENIX, or Lexx. The Lexx can actually be a decent exhaust with modifications to how it mounts up. But for that I'd just buy a Motoworks. It's 209.99 shipped on Ebay. Great pipe. The Timing Key will be a nice upgrade with a stock motor. If you do any motorwork take it out. It will cause heating issues. My clutch cable is stiff to. It's not a big deal, what's that guy awesomehonda gonna say next, put a can of ether on it before you start it because there hard to start? No. The 400's are cold blooded machines. Are those 20" tires and 9" beadlocks in the rear? If so you already have a really good setup. Like a lot of people say, 450r shocks is a good suspension upgrade. Later you can get it revalved for your weight with triple rates or something. But in stock form those are still a good upgrade. Yeah my Dad's Grizzly 700 will put a whoopin on my 400 to lol. Lube your clutch cable that should help, I just use WD-40. Stage 1 hotcam would be really nice and so would be the 450 carb. But before anything get a slip on and a filter.

TheAwesomehonda
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Your dumb..
If you ride a lot of trails, a K&N will ruin your motor. Especially with the lid open! I don't know what this guy is thinking! So, get a foam filter. UNI, Twin Air, Moose, CSR, etc. You could even get an Outerwears cover. Just keep your Airbox lid on. At most, drill holes just keep it on. Grind the welds in the header, other than that the stock header design is pretty good. Deff just get a slip on. Don't waste your money on a new tip. Whatever you do, don't buy a DG,COBRA,PHOENIX, or Lexx. The Lexx can actually be a decent exhaust with modifications to how it mounts up. But for that I'd just buy a Motoworks. It's 209.99 shipped on Ebay. Great pipe. The Timing Key will be a nice upgrade with a stock motor. If you do any motorwork take it out. It will cause heating issues. My clutch cable is stiff to. It's not a big deal, what's that guy awesomehonda gonna say next, put a can of ether on it before you start it because there hard to start? No. The 400's are cold blooded machines. Are those 20" tires and 9" beadlocks in the rear? If so you already have a really good setup. Like a lot of people say, 450r shocks is a good suspension upgrade. Later you can get it revalved for your weight with triple rates or something. But in stock form those are still a good upgrade. Yeah my Dad's Grizzly 700 will put a whoopin on my 400 to lol. Lube your clutch cable that should help, I just use WD-40. Stage 1 hotcam would be really nice and so would be the 450 carb. But before anything get a slip on and a filter. If he don't want a K&N he wont get one and hey bud find me some proof that the K&N will let in dirt or "ruins your motor" and i have the prefilter/outerwear on mine. Ok and if you like at to be hard to puller to pull your clutch thats fine this person oveously doesn't. Get a aftermarket lever and u'll see the difference. What about it not being a big deal the thread starter wants the must power out of his quad so i'm just telling him what i think r good mods for max power. Stage 2 hot cam is more power for your money and can be ran with a completly stock motor. Just stop hating cuz we don't need haters on this web site.:p

powerbomb400
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM
If you ride alot of old strip pits or in the sand the K&N filters even with outerwear on will let microscopic dust in. I agree get a Uni,Twin Air, etc. I personally like Twin Air myself and some good foam oil and you won't have to worry about dust getting in. Also the angle of the lever along with lubing the cable will help with stiffness of the pull on the clutch lever.

HondaRacing83
01-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
If he don't want a K&N he wont get one and hey bud find me some proof that the K&N will let in dirt or "ruins your motor" and i have the prefilter/outerwear on mine. Ok and if you like at to be hard to puller to pull your clutch thats fine this person oveously doesn't. Get a aftermarket lever and u'll see the difference. What about it not being a big deal the thread starter wants the must power out of his quad so i'm just telling him what i think r good mods for max power. Stage 2 hot cam is more power for your money and can be ran with a completly stock motor. Just stop hating cuz we don't need haters on this web site.:p See, with Hotcams its personal preference if you knew something. A stage 2 disperses power on top and bottom end evenly. A stage 1 disperses a large amount to either top or bottom one of them I forget. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..? Ask anyone on here, A K&N isn't a good filter for your quad! I have an MSR Clutch lever and Perch btw, sure it helped but not tremendously or a big deal. Plus a diff clutch lever doesn't add any power.. I'm giving him better advice, to get a foam filter. Especially for trails. You wanna use a K&N for drags then yeah then it'd be beneficial.

HondaRacing83
01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
If you ride alot of old strip pits or in the sand the K&N filters even with outerwear on will let microscopic dust in. I agree get a Uni,Twin Air, etc. I personally like Twin Air myself and some good foam oil and you won't have to worry about dust getting in. Also the angle of the lever along with lubing the cable will help with stiffness of the pull on the clutch lever. Yeah, I forgot always oil your filter. I like my Uni and I always used Uni foam filter oil even with a stock filter, always keep your chain lubed to!

powerbomb400
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM
The 400ex has always had a ton of torque on the bottom end. Where it lacked was mid to upper end rpm's. The stage 2 HotCam will bring those area's to life. If all you do is hillclimb or drag the stage 1 would be the way to go. But if you are trail riding or alot of woods riding the stage 2 is the way to go.

HondaRacing83
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh alright. When i get a hotcam ill prob got stage 2 because i ride trails heavily and plan on racing xc

rockbrook
01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Im about 95% sure that i saw Uni on the filter yesterday when i looked at it. Whoever had the quad before me was running it without an Lid. So i think i'll grab one of those as well. I dont think i'll do any engine work anytime soon. i'll probably Look into these things as far as power goes: Sparks Key, Stage 2 Hot Cam, Slip-on pipe.

HondaRacing83
01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
That would be perfect, UNI's are good filters to

TheAwesomehonda
01-30-2012, 04:26 PM
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/ProductSearch.aspx?page=1 Read the dicription on the hot cams... none of them r made for more bottom end power so your all mistaken......:D :D :D

quadmanw
01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Still run the stock cam and makes no difference. theres not enough duration to make it any higher anyways. they do very little. If your motor is built right, you dont need one. IMHO

TheAwesomehonda
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
Still run the stock cam and makes no difference. theres not enough duration to make it any higher anyways. they do very little. If your motor is built right, you dont need one. IMHO I'm prity sure that your quad has more power then mine because its rebuilt but a hot cam would give it a very noticable amount more power at the mid and hot end.

rooster300ex
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by steve181
if you have the cap for your exhaust put it back on

it will ruin your valves

Naw it won't. Don't worry bout it.

quadmanw
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I think it would give me a little more noticeable but not much. my mechanic will not let me run a stg 2.. so i go by his word and his motor.. lol

TheAwesomehonda
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
I think it would give me a little more noticeable but not much. my mechanic will not let me run a stg 2.. so i go by his word and his motor.. lol Your mechinic doesn't know what hes talking about a stage 2 can be ran with a stock motor i'm doing it my self no problem.

rockbrook
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Are those 20" tires and 9" beadlocks in the rear? If so you already have a really good setup.
This was my next question, i'm assuming thats what size my tires are, there relatively small, I didnt know if thats good or bad? For some reason my dad thinks i should have bigger tires. I dont necessarily understand the importance of bigger tires except for maybe better ground clearance.

quadmanw
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
assuming that he builts all of my race motors and I smoke 450s.. Id say he knows what hes doing. but you do what you do. Im not gonna argue with ya

beastlywarrior
01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by rockbrook
This was my next question, i'm assuming thats what size my tires are, there relatively small, I didnt know if thats good or bad? For some reason my dad thinks i should have bigger tires. I dont necessarily understand the importance of bigger tires except for maybe better ground clearance.
hm they looked like 18's on an 8 to me

and i agree on the k&n statement ive seem them let a lot of stuff through. im running a gytr but i make sure to keep it oiled and i have an outerwares over the filter and one over the box

CJM
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
From stock to just a stage 1 cam its quite a jump, you get more useable power out of the rpm range. From stock to stage 2 its disappointing b/c the motor cannot take advantage of the power due to other restrictions. A good mix is the XR400 cam, little bit of both.

Honestly with the stage 2 cam I have alot of mid to topend power, with the stock cam I the power was much lower in the RPMs. But with the bigger bore, open airbox lid, slip on and other goodies Ive made up for that difference.

If a longer duration and lift didnt work in most applications you would see people running stock cams in everything from chevy 350s to ford 302s and such. A cam doesnt make more power, what it does is allows the valve to open longer and higher and allow more air and fuel to get in. More air and fuel = more power.

But of course anyone is free to believe what they want.

TheAwesomehonda
01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by CJM
From stock to just a stage 1 cam its quite a jump, you get more useable power out of the rpm range. From stock to stage 2 its disappointing b/c the motor cannot take advantage of the power due to other restrictions. A good mix is the XR400 cam, little bit of both.

Honestly with the stage 2 cam I have alot of mid to topend power, with the stock cam I the power was much lower in the RPMs. But with the bigger bore, open airbox lid, slip on and other goodies Ive made up for that difference.

If a longer duration and lift didnt work in most applications you would see people running stock cams in everything from chevy 350s to ford 302s and such. A cam doesnt make more power, what it does is allows the valve to open longer and higher and allow more air and fuel to get in. More air and fuel = more power.

But of course anyone is free to believe what they want. Exactly true man you need other mods to optimize an stage hot cam. I just beleave what hot cam say on there site and what i've felt on my quad.

crownandmonster
01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Nothing agaisnt hot cams as I am currently running one my self, but you get what you pay for. I am very disappointed in my stage 2. I hardly notice any power gains over stock. A Web cam will be my next investment.

quadmanw
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
exactly why I do not run one. Maybe when my cam and rockers wear out I will put an aftermarket one in.. but not if it does not need it

CJM
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Im quite happy with mine tbh. But I dont know anything else besides HCs.