PDA

View Full Version : Still won't start...

cobrarthunder
11-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Well I have been working on my no start for over a month now. Off and on, and finally got some time to dedicate some time to it.

A little Background. I was riding it when the oneway starter bearing came apart. It dropped metal into the flywheel and took the stator out. I took it home, ordered a flywheel, bearing, ring gear, and stator. I cleaned out the crankcase, assembled the quad and went to start it. Nothing!

Some info
440 11:1, Hotcam#2, Stock carb with 190/42 jets, HMFheader and pipe, UNI filter stock box....

Now...
-I have 100 PSI compression.
-Spark when I ground the removed plug to the jug.
-I checked cam timing good, and I actually installed a NEW honda
tensioner, and a NEW honda CRF 450 chain. SO it is in time.

The quad wont start on starting fluid, it has gas, yes the start/run switch is on, I do not have a rider kill switch.

Things I have tried
-Known good Coil and 2 wires
-Known good CDI box

I'm lost....It doesn't make sense....

Could the new (aftermarket) stator keep it from starting?

CJM
11-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Compression PSI is low, should be at least 120ish in most cases.

Did you try changing the plug? Adjusted the valves?

If its getting spark I doubt the stator is the culprit, but if something wasnt installed right it is possible.

CDCHONDAS
11-30-2011, 11:07 AM
when you put the flywheel on did you accidentally knock out the woodruff key and not know it and now you are way out of timing? 100 psi, valves opening and closing, it should hit on ether if your ignition is right.

cobrarthunder
11-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Valves are adjusted, and brand new plug. Forgot to mention that. I took the bolt back out of the flywheel. and I can see the key in the grove on the crank and flywheel.

powerbomb400
11-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Is a good blue spark? You can have spark nut if it isn't a good spark it won't crank. What about the pickup coming off the flywheel. It has to be some little something. Hopefully you will get it figured out.

cobrarthunder
11-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Well it will shock the bejebus out of you, and it is bright blue....Still stumped.

powerbomb400
11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
I know you said that you checked the timing but something isn't timing right. The low compression reading keeps popping up in my head. If you are getting that good of a spark it should at least turn over and putter little bit.

sheweezy
11-30-2011, 10:58 PM
This may sound crazy, but it is worth a shot, Had a very similar problem while riding one day, and was limited of tools on the trail, But had some of the same symptoms from what you listed that I could tell while on the trail, but put it in 2nd gear and pulled in the clutch lever and got my buddy to just push me til I got up to speed and attempted to push start, tires just kinda skiddin and he kept pushing, and after about 100 foot it eventually forced into to turn over and crank and was good to go...

cobrarthunder
12-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
I know you said that you checked the timing but something isn't timing right. The low compression reading keeps popping up in my head. If you are getting that good of a spark it should at least turn over and putter little bit.

Yea, but the dang thing ran and was running when the stator went out. All I did was replace the stator. 2 connectors...4-wire and the single blk/rd wire. Put the cover back on and oil...to get nothing.

So if it was running before at the compression i have then why not after just the stator replacement?

cobrarthunder
12-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by sheweezy
This may sound crazy, but it is worth a shot, Had a very similar problem while riding one day, and was limited of tools on the trail, But had some of the same symptoms from what you listed that I could tell while on the trail, but put it in 2nd gear and pulled in the clutch lever and got my buddy to just push me til I got up to speed and attempted to push start, tires just kinda skiddin and he kept pushing, and after about 100 foot it eventually forced into to turn over and crank and was good to go...

people keep telling me to try and pull start it with another quad. haven't tried it yet, don't see what difference it would make. The starter is strong and really moves the engine over.

CJM
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Dont even need to pull start it, just push it a good bit and dump the clutch in 2nd gear. It will fire up more than likely.

Friend of mine had a YFZ450, cranked over and over and over wouldnt start-did the above and bingo fired right up. Why you ask did it not fire up-valves out of adjustment.

Im telling ya man, somewhere along the line something is seriously out of time. be it the cam (lobes gotta be down when installed and piston ad TDC), the cam gear (1 mark faces up, other 2 parallel to head) or the flywheel is out. You have fuel, you have spark, its jetted right, you tried starting fluid, etc, etc, etc.

Even so still 100 psi is low compression, something is outta whack.

cobrarthunder
12-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Did a leak down today at TDC. No air escaped the intake or exhaust.

I have a Snap-On Borescope and used it to take a look at the top of the piston. Clean and no signs of PTV. No signs of piston damage to detonation either.

Pulled the head cover off again and tripple checked the sprocket..1 up and 2 level with the head, Cam lobes are down.

Tomorrow I am going to run the valves again and be sure of the lash.

ridinwide02
12-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by cobrarthunder
Did a leak down today at TDC. No air escaped the intake or exhaust.

I have a Snap-On Borescope and used it to take a look at the top of the piston. Clean and no signs of PTV. No signs of piston damage to detonation either.

Pulled the head cover off again and tripple checked the sprocket..1 up and 2 level with the head, Cam lobes are down.

Tomorrow I am going to run the valves again and be sure of the lash.

by the sounds of it it sounds like ur lash is off on ur valves i had a problrem similar to this ad it was my valves had to much lash

cobrarthunder
12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ridinwide02
by the sounds of it it sounds like ur lash is off on ur valves i had a problrem similar to this ad it was my valves had to much lash

I hope so...

sheweezy
12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah man, the time I tried my starter was doing fine as well, I had no problems at all, only think I couldn't check was timing or if it would have cranked on starter fluid....but it just seemed like it forced it to start....If you get it back together its worth a try, can't hurt anything, And that trick has rarely ever failed me when I have no more answers

CDCHONDAS
01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
How did you make out on this? Recently I was replacing a fried stator on a 660 raptor and after it was installed the engine would hit very hard on the compression stroke and not start, it was obviously an ignition timing problem. I called the stator supplier which are very sharp people and we went through all possibilities and it tested out fine. Sent the stator back and they found no problem but swapped out the trigger coil as it could have a problem that doesn't show up doing normal tests. I put the stator back in and it fired right up. Sometimes you get some weird problems.