PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buyin 400ex #2, few ??s

wolfe 21
11-30-2011, 05:50 AM
I found a newer model 400 locally and just wondered if you all could answer a few questions before I think about purchasing it.
First, it's got a +2 axle and 2" spacers on the fron wheels. what would be the reasoning behind this and would it hinder performance on trails?
Also, I heard spacers were hard on wheel studs. Is this the case?
Its an 06, so are there any model year specific issues I should know about? Tranny issues with reverse added?

My current ride is ok and running once again. Just want a second bike for either my buddy's farm or my grandmothers house. And it'd be nice to have reverse too:rolleyes:

JOHNDOE83
11-30-2011, 06:18 AM
spacers arent any harder on working parts then the +2 a-arms would be.

The wider the quad the more stability you have when tunring.

It might keep you from going down tight trails, if thats a worry of yours.

I would recommend a-arms instead of spacers, thats just my personal preference, the spacers are fine but they are the cheap way to add width to the front.

If the price is right, it may be worth buying.

CJM
11-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Im not a fan of spacers, put too much stress on the wheel studs and such. But if you dont jump it might be ok. Id remove them and the extended axle and buy a stock axle and sell it all off. Unless your ride MX its pointless and to wide for the woods in most cases.

trailrider894
11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I would get rid of the spacers ASAP... They are NOT as good as extended a-arms... and Extended a-arms do not cause half as much stress as spacers. Because if you think about it, the a-arms would be taking the brunt of all the stress, where as with spacers, the hubs, tie rod ends, spindles, bearings, wheels, etc would all be under massive amounts of stress. I ran spacers for a few years, on the front and the back. I can tell you now, that after getting my extended axle and extended a-arms that it handled completely different. There was significantly less bumpsteer also... SO, just don't get spacers... You never see pro's running them for a reason, and if spacers were all that good, then why do people spend 1000$+ on a-arms???? BECAUSE SPACERS DON"T WORK....

wolfe 21
11-30-2011, 09:45 AM
thank you both for replying. That's basically what I figured too. Yes, the intent was to remove the spacers and the axle (I'd have to so it would even fit in the bed of my truck. damn skinny ***** s-10's anyway).

Anyway, it's got renthal fatbars, looks like ac nerfs, chassis skid, alu bumper, & white bros exhaust (isn't this discontinued.) What would be a fair price for both parties, assuming it runs good and no problems. Oh, front fender is cracked, but so's the rear on the one I've got now, so....eh?

James.

^^sorry, all 3 of you. must of replied while I was typing and checking the ad again.

ridgeracer
12-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Fair price really depends on your area. but here a 400ex in good condition is around $2000, give or take.

Also some people think because a bike is heavily modded they can change the price accordingly, but you will Never get what you put into it back when you sell it.

tbrackman84
12-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
thank you both for replying. That's basically what I figured too. Yes, the intent was to remove the spacers and the axle (I'd have to so it would even fit in the bed of my truck. damn skinny ***** s-10's anyway).

I hear you there, i have an s10 too, it's like a circus act getting the 400 into the bed