PDA

View Full Version : Oil levels....

NMills
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Well... stumped again.... i'm having a problem checking my oil.... well.. that's not really the problem... the problem is misreading... it'll read full.... then the next it'll read empty.... so i'll add and get it where it needs to be... then the next check it'll be over full....

I'm wondering if my oil pump can be screwed up... But i'd like to know how to do any kind of test on it.. or can this be a different problem??? anything to look for??

Any help would be nice...

Thanks...

01boneless
11-29-2011, 07:12 PM
i cant seem to figure out where the oil is going! your sure its not burning oil or having blow by?

NMills
11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Let me clear your confusion.... it's not leaving the engine... it's there... just not where it should be...

The level is dead on....
Go riding...
check next ride...
Reading is empty....
Add a quart or so...
Reading is fine...
2 hours later i'm overfull....

It's not that i'm losing and losing... just misplaced and resurfacing...

BlasterEaten250
11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Are you always checking it when it is warm?

Also, it doesn't take a full quart to go from the bottom of the dipstick to the top.

NMills
11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes.... start... let it run.. check it.. been doin it that way since i got it.... i was not being exact about how much oil...

01boneless
11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
ic ic seems oil is getting trapped somewhere then resurfaced may be check all cooler lines for clogs maybe oil pump

jgar
11-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Mine has always done the same thing. I would cange the oil and before the second ride it would read 1/2 qt low. What i do now is ride it first for about 10 min. then check it. I think the problem was i was to eager to ride and didnt let it warm up properly.

Pipeless416
11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by jgar
Mine has always done the same thing. I would cange the oil and before the second ride it would read 1/2 qt low. What i do now is ride it first for about 10 min. then check it. I think the problem was i was to eager to ride and didnt let it warm up properly.

^this and what brandon said. let it completely warm up before checking. also, make sure that it was idling for at least a minute or so before shutting it off and checking. it can take a while for these engines to fully warm up to operating temp.

Thumpin440ex
11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
The oil is running back into the engine after sitting, so it will fill it up(engine).. When it is running the oil pump is keeping it moving.. Let it run, check it warm..

John

wolfe 21
11-30-2011, 05:44 AM
yeah, always let it warm up. I had a hard time with this idea at first cause it seemed like a really bad idea to start an engine when the dipstick showed no oil. Then somebody explained how it all drains back into the block and it made some sense.

James.

tripicana
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
you need to let it IDLE for atleast a minute, two is better.
NO REVING OF THE THROTTLE AT ALL
then check it

NMills
12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Ok... i think i get the "how to part".... but IS THERE any way to check proper operation of the oil pump??? i know it's mechanical... but just to see if it's part of the problem...

I know how to check the oil... do it ever ride... and it started doing this right after my top end rebuild... and was thinking maybe i screwed something up that i do not realize...

Thumpin440ex
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM
You could always pull a return line off the oil tank and hold the line in a cup, start the bike and see if it is pumping. IMO if it has not blowed up yet it's working fine.

John

NMills
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
You could always pull a return line off the oil tank and hold the line in a cup, start the bike and see if it is pumping. IMO if it has not blowed up yet it's working fine.

John

Looking at the side of the case.... which would be the return line?? or should i just double check flow from both???