PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Apex Dads! Putting one together, need some wisdom!

Doug10
11-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Okey everyone, here shortly I am going to start building a little on another quad for next year that i got a great deal on. Its a 2011 Apex 50, but currently has a DRR 50 engine with alumn. cylinder and 90 pipe on it.

I would like to return the bike back engine wise, so my 4yr old can race it in a Limited class if need be even though we run a unregulated series quite frequently. This will require a cast iron cylinder correct & the stock carb/intake/airbox configuration. I am getting all the stock parts with it. The engine cases are going to be the same right between a DRR and APEX?

The bike is currently all stock. What have you folks found to be good improvements on the Apex's that we should do in the off season for next year? I was thinking about putting all our cash into shocks. Im figuring I will have around 1500.00 to play with. My two options at this point are FOX Float X on the front and Podium X on the rear (used but going to have them sent off and worked over) or we could buy a new set of Elka Stage 3's.

We have to adapt this quad for a short guy so I will probably have to have the seat shaved down etc.... He is only about 45" tall and 45-50lbs tops. Allready got the Mach 1 throttle cable and honda throttle.

Last but not least, what has been everyones experiences with rear tires for 50cc classes. We have been running 16's this year but i see more and more popularity with the 18's. New bike has DWT's all the way around. Currently we have been running DWT's on the front and 16" hogs on the rear. We race typical MX race tracks only, normally sandy, loose, and bumpy.

Thanks guys and gals!

Doug

Christiansdad
11-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Yea cylinder has to have that special name but at the same time made by the same company. I havent had the problem of the rider be little except at the hands..but redounkolousruntsracing make the footpegs extenders that raise up the height making him have the extra clearence so bucking him over the bars wont be that big off a issue. Any type throttle is cool but just make sure he has the leverage just right..the thumb buddy works great but also makes him have to extend more in or out to get that throttle. I used a yamaha blaster thumb i had laying around in the shop and works perfect....a short and sweet push without that much leverage...we did have a eton before but just wasnt as good as we have now...keep us posted

Doug10
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
is the stock cylinder name a Sanchen or something like that?

Doug

Doug10
11-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Here has been my solution to the thumb buddy! Have to cut stock arm to a certain angle, bed alum. to certain angle, and its tricky drilling and tapping the old arm but it really turned out great and worked wonders for TINY hands. There are 2 allans that hold it on, the 2nd is in the glare on the 2nd angle of the arm.

Doug

redonkulousruntsracing
12-01-2011, 08:24 AM
when my boy started riding his Apex, he was 5, 42" tall and 45 lbs and I had to adapt it to fit him, hence the development of the riser foot pegs, they are 2" taller so his butt would clear the seat. Another helper is putting an adjustable front brake lever on it. There is a certian YFZ or YZF brake lever that I used. I have the part# in the trailer some where as well as 2-3 of the brake levers. The DWT MX tires have been the hands down best tires I have used to date. They steer great and the rears hook up!! I have 25+ races on the set on my sons quad now, and they look great still, they are soft and bite but thet have held up better than I would think for a tire so soft. All we run is MX and I will use the DWT's on all my quads next season. As far as shocks go, I love the Elka's. Order them from the factory and have them built for your sons weight and riding style. You wont be sorry, it has been the best investment to date for my sons quad. The Fox shox are for a Blaster and are valved for a heavier rider/machine. Last I checked they didnt specifically make a shock for the Apex, they just used something that would fit. I maybe wrong, I havent called them since March '11. I have 3 seasons on the Elka's and besides routine rebuilds, they have preformed flawlessly. Another item that helped his confidence and safety is a set of ATV Fourplay Soft Bars. Worth every penny, saved him from crashing many times.

Doug10
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I need to give you a jingle on those pegs for sure.

Did you all find that running the 18's on the rear of the limited prod. 50 worked out ok? Alot of guys swear by 16's.

Doug

redonkulousruntsracing
12-01-2011, 08:36 AM
heck I tried 18x8x8 ITP Quadcross on the rear of our limited quad. 18's give you more ground clearence, less chance of getting stuck in ruts. The only advantage of the 16" sno pigs give you is a slight gearing change. That is easily solved by changing your rear sprocket. The most common setup I see is a 19/32 sprocket set with 18" rears. You could try a 35 rear sprocket if you need more lowend, but the 19/32 is what I ran on the limited bike, and still my set up of choice.