PDA

View Full Version : Yah here we go, VID inside, input please

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Ok this thing is really kicking me in the nuts here.. it is hunting for a happy spot on idle.. I am not a idiot, am pretty good with engines, mechanics ect.. Not tooting my horn but I am not bad.. What the hell can this be?? I have been through this carb 5 times. All is clean, the jets are clear, the seat on the float needle looks to be fine.. I have checked for air,vacuum leaks with propane and starter fluid.. doesn't seem to affect the idle at all.. The valves were just done not 2 hours ago, yet it is doing this.. I can pump the throttle 3-5 times and it will fire rite up, if i do not pump it, it will have a tendency to back fire out the pipe though.. Needle is 3rd clip, 52 pilot, screw is ruffly 2.5.. Input input input.. I am ready to sell this thing..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/th_IMG_0262.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/?action=view&current=IMG_0262.mp4)

John

DnB_racing
11-27-2011, 06:13 PM
have you tried adjusting a/f screw? if so any changes at all

and just for kicks remove the new air cover and see if there is any changes

I dont know what cover you had before the new one, but it might have let more air in at idle... it sounds rich to me...

how does it run at wot and does it hang at all coming down to idle?

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Yep it changes when running the needle in and out.. Not really hangin from a rev back to idle.. No diff with or with out the cover.. never had one on it before.. its getting freaking silly.. I can hold it part throttle and it runs fine, only at the idle it does this.. WOT it runs spot on, no back fire or popping on the decel..

John

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Just to let ya know if ya didn't read my sig this is a 450R carb, not a stock ex carb.. The 48 pilot was way lean, so I went to the 52.. the needle was on the 5th notch, closest to the needle point, I changed it to the 3rd notch, with the 52.. Only thing that is diff is the 52 I have is the long 52. But the long side is on the part of the jet that does not have the metering holes.. So i do not think that has anything to do with it.. Thanks

John

DnB_racing
11-27-2011, 07:04 PM
LOL I just saw that you had a 450 carb and deleted my previos post... give me a minete and ill rethink with 450 carb settings insted

Baileygunns
11-27-2011, 07:11 PM
52 sounds a bit larger to me... I have a 50 in my 450 with no airbox, full pipe and cam... I can't imagine a 440 would need more fuel then that. Turn that screw in or pop your filter off and see how it idles..

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Seriously?? That is what I have read numerous guys using in the 04-05 carbs on 440 bikes.. :face palm:

John

DnB_racing
11-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Seriously?? That is what I have read numerous guys using in the 04-05 carbs on 440 bikes.. :face palm:

John it sounds rich to me also, try seeing what happens when you adjust the a/f screw

im guessing when you turn the screw in you will find the carb to just start to sound better when it runs out of adjustment

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, have 2 vids.. First one is with the screw turned in 1 full turn from the 2.5ish where it was.. Yes I am aware that I turned the idle down a bit, but that is where it really is noticeable.. When it is at normal(I think) idle it is still there just not as much.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/th_vididle1-1.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/?action=view&current=vididle1-1.mp4)

Next is with it all the way in. Bike only idled up but never died.. Should it die out with that screw all the way in?? I never took it in any further once it started to idle up before.. I just adjusted back out like your supposed to do, due to the fact I have read a ton of guys running this size pilot.. I never really paid that any mind as it did like it was supposed to do...It seems as if it def helped the issue, as you can tell from the first vid.. I have read that it should kill the engine when all the way in, but duno how true that is. Cars will sometimes, sometimes they will not, but again 2 different beasts.. I also went from closed to wide open rev, you can here it the one time, bogged.. Should it rev up with out bogging every time i do this.. I have yet to see a 400 rev every time with out a bog.. I know the 450's will but they are made to rev.. From a little better then idle it will not bog, only from closed to wide open it does this..

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/th_idlescrewin.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/?action=view&current=idlescrewin.mp4)

John

crownandmonster
11-27-2011, 10:38 PM
That little bog off idle could be caused from the accelerator pump...its said to be very common. I had to mess with the linkage to get to to squirt earlier than it was and it fixed my bog (which was just like yours).

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
That is another thing come to think of it.. What did you adjust to get the accel pump to fix it self.. I know that the 06 up fcr carbs have a kit to address this, but never heard anything for these 04-05 carbs.. Unless you have a fcr carb on your bike..

John

crownandmonster
11-27-2011, 11:35 PM
This is probably not the correct way, but I took the black plastic cover off the side of the carb and there is a little tab that pushes on a rod (which in turn moves the diaphram and squirts the fuel). Anyway I just put a very slight bend in that tab so it would contact the rod slightly earlier and push it a bit further down. Like I said I'm sure its the wrong way, but it worked for me.

Thumpin440ex
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Hmm I might have to look into this after I get all this jetting BS fig out..

John

wolfe 21
11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
In my very limited experience with small engines and motorcycles, yes turning the a/f to seated should allow it to idle up noticeably before running out of fuel and sputtering to a stop. YMMV. I have no experience with modded engines or 450 carb, so I can't say for sure, but I agree with the others that it sounds rich. For the price of a pilot ($4) and 15 minutes to change it, you might be farther ahead to try it and find out.

Thumpin440ex
11-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes after running it all the way in and it smoothing out it would appear to be the issue.. I am gona say screw it and rip it with the current setting and see if and how it runs..

John