XCRacer236
11-27-2011, 06:09 PM
:huh :rolleyes:

huntertaylor98
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
whats the alien dude all about

audioworks04
11-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Not really a fair comparison. The yfzr is alot more expensive than the trx is. All depends on what you want to do with it, the trx is very dependable and very powerful. The yfzr is almost race ready in stock form and a great fi bike. But really to be fair this should be a ktm vs yfzr vs can am. The trx is more comparable to the yfz and kfx.

huntertaylor98
11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by audioworks04
Not really a fair comparison. The yfzr is alot more expensive than the trx is. All depends on what you want to do with it, the trx is very dependable and very powerful. The yfzr is almost race ready in stock form and a great fi bike. But really to be fair this should be a ktm vs yfzr vs can am. The trx is more comparable to the yfz and kfx. Now that I think about it your right but I'm talking built vs built because how long will it before I want more power and handling and how dependable Is yfzr the because I'm a die heart honda fan because of the how dependable they are

audioworks04
11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Then I would get a trx, but I also am biased. The yfzr is a great bike, and with some suspension revalves and spring you would be in good for a track. With the trx you need a few more parts to make it there, but like I said it depends on what you ride. If you ride alot of tight trails then a yfzr is deff not for you. They both shine in their own ways.

Kovatch
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Two built bikes... I would probably go with the Honda, but it takes a lot of $$ to get a Honda bullet proof. The Hondas have weaker transmissions whereas Yamahas do not need any sort of mods in the tranny. The Yami gears are larger and slightly stronger.

I like my position on a YFZR with stock stem over the TRX with JB +1 & Flex bars. The Yami stock seat is very comfortable, but a Honda needs different foam to get soft.

Honda engines are very reliable, if they are done right. You can't throw in cheap @$$ valves or springs and not expect something bad to happen. Yami is quite reliable too, but they have con-rod bearing issues. You MUST stay up on oil changes & maintenance or you will fry your (yami) crank, I promise you.

Honda engines are a little easier to work on and have only 1 cam, 1 less valve too (cheaper for replacing parts in the head).

For the YFZR, you NEED to get at least new upper a-arms to change castor to the correct angle. Castor brackets help to maintain that angle through wheel travel. Some companies offer a-arms that don't need castor brackets.

In the long run, I believe you can get more power from a Honda, but the trans is a weak spot.

After a quick msg to Thomas Brown, he has his practice bike for sale $8000 and a few race bikes. I saw a nice MX built TRX 450r for $7500. I used to see this TRX at some races and the kid could FLY!

Built vs. built... I may sway towards Honda. It may cost more, but I think the power just hits harder. Thomas can ride, but Upperman is snagging a lot of holeshots (apples to apples). If you were to start with a brand new bike (which you said you wouldn't), YFZR. As stated, a new TRX takes a lot to get MX ready.

.. fingers are cramping. Sorry for the long post.

veselymr
12-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Two built bikes... I would probably go with the Honda, but it takes a lot of $$ to get a Honda bullet proof. The Hondas have weaker transmissions whereas Yamahas do not need any sort of mods in the tranny. The Yami gears are larger and slightly stronger.

I like my position on a YFZR with stock stem over the TRX with JB +1 & Flex bars. The Yami stock seat is very comfortable, but a Honda needs different foam to get soft.

Honda engines are very reliable, if they are done right. You can't throw in cheap @$$ valves or springs and not expect something bad to happen. Yami is quite reliable too, but they have con-rod bearing issues. You MUST stay up on oil changes & maintenance or you will fry your (yami) crank, I promise you.

Honda engines are a little easier to work on and have only 1 cam, 1 less valve too (cheaper for replacing parts in the head).

For the YFZR, you NEED to get at least new upper a-arms to change castor to the correct angle. Castor brackets help to maintain that angle through wheel travel. Some companies offer a-arms that don't need castor brackets.

In the long run, I believe you can get more power from a Honda, but the trans is a weak spot.

After a quick msg to Thomas Brown, he has his practice bike for sale $8000 and a few race bikes. I saw a nice MX built TRX 450r for $7500. I used to see this TRX at some races and the kid could FLY!

Built vs. built... I may sway towards Honda. It may cost more, but I think the power just hits harder. Thomas can ride, but Upperman is snagging a lot of holeshots (apples to apples). If you were to start with a brand new bike (which you said you wouldn't), YFZR. As stated, a new TRX takes a lot to get MX ready.

.. fingers are cramping. Sorry for the long post.

what he said...I have a race ready 450r and I love it but Honda's do make a lot of power

I would say the 450r has better handling than any other quad I have been on...I threw the Houser front end on with the cecco bracket and it is soooooo easy to control

funyun
12-07-2011, 09:04 AM
stock for stock its not even a comparison I couldnt think of one reason to get the honda. Built for built the honda is probably better especially motor wise for sure, but like people said it takes so much to get there.

You don't really need castor upper a-arms on your YFZR. You can just get some nice shocks on the stock arms and call it a day. Some companies dont even offer the caster bracket on thier mx arms like walsh because they say its not needed. If you want to race and not spend a small fortune to get the bike ready get the R. The trans wont ever let you down like a honda and the motor is reliable aswell.

If you want power though the R is not the bike, the honda will make alot more power and be alot cheaper to get there. Cheaper to pull power out of but the rest of the bike is where it kills your wallet.

I've thought about making the switch to another bike but just can't bring myself to do it I love my R and the problems with the other bikes keep me away.