PDA

View Full Version : 250 starter ????????

leager-n-ky
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Ok, 3 starters, 5 batteries, new starter relay. This time the starter sounds like the armature is rubbing the inside of the housing (brand new), i took it apart re- assembled, the noise was much quieter for about 3 starts, then it got loud again, then it wouldnt even turn over. Brand new lithium batt, new relay, and i also took the gear out that runs from the starter, to the starter clutch, the starter still makes this noise. PLEASE HELP, I am about to give up...

jweidner
11-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Hello Leager,

Did you try taking the starter out of the quad, but connect pos cable and just see if the starter works as it should. If it turns over fine, pull the cover off so you can watch the starter engage with the intermediate gear. Pull spark plug wire off so engine does not start. Crank engine and see what happens.

I know starters are not the best in the 250's, but you seem to be having more trouble than just a starter. I would dig a little deeper in that side of the engine.

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks,
Jason Weidner

leager-n-ky
11-27-2011, 06:21 PM
I left the starter mounted, but i removed the gear set that connects the starter to the fly wheel, so there was no load on it. The noise was definitely coming from the starter, i cant even describe the noise, but once it does this, it gets to the point the starter wont turn over at all. Got home checked the battery, it was fine, started right up twice, then started again on the third try.

jweidner
12-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi Leager,

Sounds like your trying all the right this, What I would try next is putting a meter on the starter when cranking and see if your getting 12 volts, you could be possible losing voltage, like a car when battery dies. You could have a grounding problem. When cranking you should have same voltage as you do when checked at battery. If the sound is coming from the starter and continous cranking the starter stops turning something in elect circuit is causing your problems.

I have a raptor 250 here right now that I can test starting voltage

Thanks,
Jason Weidner

leager-n-ky
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
It was a broken brush, a piece of it was in there and would get hung up every other couple of starts. Got it workin good now, Thanks for your help.

racekids
12-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Hey guys Yamaha has a service bullitin on this very issue and they will warranty all of the starter parts and labor to fix it. Just had mine done last month. you have do take it to a dealer and have them do the work to get it warrantied though.

leager-n-ky
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Where can i find info on this Service Bulletin ?? Thanks

racekids
12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
My friend works at a dealership and said it is a dealer bulletin. It will be warrantied when you take it in. They replace all of the gears in the starter. Work has to be done at the dealer tho.