PDA

View Full Version : Charging issue?

2fastlx
11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, I had an issue while riding on Friday night. My headlights slowly dimmed to the point where they would not do any good. Once shut the off, the bike would not even turn over (obviously). The next morning I checked the voltage and it was about 12.1 or so. I jump started the bike and read 13.2-13.3 volts at the battery while idling. Earlier on Friday I had a problem getting the bike running because of what turned out to be bad fuel (water). The bike was cranked over quite a bit in attempts to get it started so the battery was drained pretty well to begin with. I would think that after starting and riding for 2 hours the battery should have been charged 100%. We were riding fast trails so the rpm's were up high as well, very little putting/iding. Does this sound like a rectifier issue, and is there any way to test it?

Thanks, John

DnB_racing
11-27-2011, 11:49 AM
yes there are ways to test the rectifier,

but from your symptoms it sounds more like it might be your stator, or battery itself or even a problem with wiring in your lights.. but if you have a multimeter you can check the rec..

check all your grounds and harness to make sure nothing is out of order

google rectifier testing and it shows better then I could explain...

hope this helps some

Thumpin440ex
11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Check all you connections to the battery.. Could be a lose or corroded terminal wire.. Other then that it could be the stator or rectifier..

John

2fastlx
11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys. I just looked over the bike in the yard and it was charging at 14-15 volts at a high idle. Is there any way the stator could fail once it gets hot? I have looked over the whole harness, shook it while the bike was running and saw no change on the voltmeter. I played with the lights also. They worked fine and I saw no change at the battery.