PDA

View Full Version : Sprockets Size

duvall45
11-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I have recently changed my rear tires to Holeshot HD 6ply on ITP Baja rims. The setup seems heavy and I don't get the performance I had with stock. I ride in a variety of conditions from sand trails to hard pack. I love the toughness when I get in the woods and don't have to worry about stumps and large rocks but they don't seem to get much traction in sand or mud. I have trouble climbing the sand hills that I never had problems with before. I am going to replace my chain and sprocket over the winter and wondering if I should change the sprocket size. Thanks in advance for the advice.

finsteratv
11-26-2011, 10:35 PM
maybe gear down a tooth in the front. what year is your 400? going down one in the front will make it feel more powerful, but in reality more acceleration/"tourqey" feeling.

CJM
11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Im assuming you have 20's? You probably could use a bit more torque.

1. Lower the sprocket size 1 tooth on the front. The only downside is if you do this, depending on how fast you normally go you may lose quite a bit of topend. But the torque is excellent.

2. Up the rear sprocket to a 39 tooth, you may have to space the skidplate out slightly so it doesnt contact. The torque is there but not overly noticeable compared to going down in the front.

Your sure your just not used to the tires perhaps since they are heavier? Maybe use more throttle?

I have heavy kenda klaws on mine, granted its a 426-but I just jam the throttle and go. I climb most things in 2nd pinned or half throttle 3rd gear.

Another option would be a stage 1 hotcam, it would really wake your bike up and give you added power when you need it.

finsteratv
11-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Mark it looks as his is an 07 thus leading me to how honda geared em down. 05+ was 1 tooth lower up front then the pre 05 400ex's. so he has a 13 already..correct me if im wrong.

CJM
11-27-2011, 01:03 AM
15/38 99-04, 14/39 iirc (least I know its 14t front) 05+

I dont really understand how he doesnt have enough power to turn the tires, my buddies stock 05 had plenty to turn some 22 razrs lol.

Id go up a tooth in the rear, wont give you much but it will do a bit. Like I said, cams in your future. Proper jetting may also help if it hasnt been done.

finsteratv
11-27-2011, 01:14 AM
14t front and i spin paddles fine too? then again im like a buck fifty haha..Maybe some modding is in line ;)

duvall45
11-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Yes it is an '07 and the motor is all stock. The tires are 20x11x9. My weight is 200lb. The quad is at my cabin right now but I looked up stock sprocket size on Rocky Mountain and they list it as 14 and 39. I am on the throttle more and shifting down to keep my rpm's up. I like the tires but really notice how much they bog down the motor. I also have a '99 that is all stock and I can really see the difference in the sand. There is a hill that we ride (Bull Gap Trail in Mio, MI) and the '07 you really have to know what your doing to get it up the hill and can't take the steepest part but the '99 can run up any part and have power left over. Even on hard pack trails the '07 has to be in 2nd where the '99 can climb it easy in 3rd. We don't go muddin very often but when we go the, '07 is the first one stuck then everyone rides by throwin mud at me. Just don't know if changing the sprockets will help or maybe I should just get different tires.

Stickman400
11-27-2011, 03:50 PM
I do know for a fact that those HDs are heavy *** tires. My buddy had a set on his 450R, 20x11x9 on stock aluminum rims, and I had a set of Razr 2s same size and on stock rims and if you picked his tire and rim up with 1 arm and mine with the other it felt like mine wasn't even there compared to his. I don't see how they would bog the motor down that much though, even on a 400. I'd do the gearing everyone is suggesting and then do a filter and a slip-on sometime if it's still starving for power.