PDA

View Full Version : '88-'89 front spindle question.

Threewits
11-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I have both an '88 and an '89 trx250r. The front spindles are tapered as are the collars that fit between the front wheel bearrings. I recently had to replace one of the spindles, and the replacement spindle which I purchased off Ebay is identical in every way except that it is not tapered. It has the round boss for the inner dust seal, then steps down to the inner bearring race diameter for approximately 1.25" then makes an abrupt drop to the outter bearring inner race diameter and stays that diameter till the threaded portion.
Did Honda make two types of spindles for the '88-'89 trx250r's? I can not put the front hub on the non tapered spindle as the tapered collar will not slide over the non tapered spindle. I replaced the one spindle originally due to someone having ground the spindle to a taper with a grinding wheel. I assumed someone had bearring failure and simply resurfaced it with the grinder, now I am wondering if they changed it from a non taper to a taper for the same reason that I am having issues with. Anyone have any information on this?

danhung11
11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
You can simple remove the tapered sleeve, it should work fine.

Threewits
11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I ran that option past my mechanic, as it seems like the face of the spindle where it steps down would do the same thing that the collar does, but he advised me not to. He stated that it would put to much stress on the bearings from tightening the nuts down. Have you done this before?
Still curious where the non tapered spindle comes from. Even the 400ex's have tapered spindles and I have had this particular 250r long enough that it limits what other models it could have come from.

spintly
11-25-2011, 10:00 PM
The spindle you have is an 88 only spindle. Simply, don't put the spacer on and they will work great. I ran a set of 88 spindles, then 400ex, then back to 89's. The 400ex were tapered as are the 89s. The bearings will work for 88, 89 & 400ex with no issues. Hope this helps.

danhung11
11-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Check out the microfiche, they are basically all the same. There is a collar on the outside of the hubs, so the nut holding the hub onto the spindle does not touch the bearings. The top hub is a 86-87 style, the one I am referring to is the one that looks more like a cross.

The collar I am referencing is No. 2. To answer your first question, 88 spindles and 89 spindles are different.

Threewits
11-26-2011, 05:16 AM
I had looked up both the '88 and the '89 micro fiches and they both showed the collar, but the '88 did not list it in the parts column. This is what I was expecting. Just curious though, since Honda went back to the collar for 1989 and stayed with it, did this prove to be an essential part?
I guess I will know the answer for sure if I have bearing failure. Thanks for you input!

Jpiceman789
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I am having the same exact problem. Was it safe to ron the bike on the hubs without that inner collar or should I try to find '89 spindles and get rid of the '88 ones?

Jpiceman789
02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know if the '88 hubs even had a collar in them or was it just left out? I have been reading without a collar there would be extra stress on the bearings, especially during turns that will lead to bearing failure. Not sure what to do. Any help would be appretiated i know this post has been quiet for a while.

Threewits
02-08-2012, 04:43 AM
What I found is the spindle on the 88 model has the sleeve built into the design. I removed the sleeve and stored it in case I get another 89 spindle to put on it. I have never heard of the 88's having an issue with premature bearing failure, however in 89 Honda did put the sleeve back in so there must have been a reason.
The spindle that was on this quad was also an 88 model, however someone used a grinder and ground the spindle to match the 89 spindles. It worked, I just did not like it.

Jpiceman789
02-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks so much. Probably no place else to get this type of info, not even the dealership. Great forum!!