PDA

View Full Version : Piston Cir clips

05DodgeDakota
11-24-2011, 08:15 AM
When yall do a piston replacement, do you replace the cir clips with new ones or reuse the old ones?

jkosakowski
11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Ya you want to replace them id sudgest just getting a piston kit it comes with piston, rings, cir clips, sometimes gaskets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISECO-PISTON-KIT-HONDA-TRX400EX-STD-10-1-85mm-/390061573537?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ad17b45a1

CJM
11-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Replace. Not the end of the world if you reuse, but replacing means one less worry.

01boneless
11-24-2011, 09:04 AM
replace ive reused them befor but always worried so replace them and dont worry :macho

05DodgeDakota
11-24-2011, 09:21 AM
sorry just noticed my piston came with new clips and pin lol.

Having a hell of a time getting the cylinder over the piston rings by myself. any tips?

also is it okay to have oil on the gasket surfaces while assembling? I cleaned them real good but while oiling the cylinder wall and piston it's getting on the gasket surface too

01boneless
11-24-2011, 09:58 AM
some oil wont hurt th gaskets if worried just wipe it up. take your fingers and compress the rings and slide the jug over 1 ring at a time MAKE SURE you stagger the end ring gaps and grind the gaps down to spec's.

05DodgeDakota
11-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Also, the o-ring at the base of the cylinder. Do I let it rest on thAt groove or do I press it into the groove?

CJM
11-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Press the o-ring into the grove, Ive not run one before and it was fine but if it goes on there I like to leave it the way it should be.

The piston should be put in with a ring compressor. You put the compressor over the piston and then smack the piston into cylinder. You need this if you arent using it: http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-KDT1720-Piston-Compressor/dp/B000I14H1E

I would try not to get oil on the gasket surfaces either.

01boneless
11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
you dont NEED a ring compressor would help but ive never used one jmho

Baileygunns
11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I slide the piston into the bottom of the cylinder up to the wrist pin hole then slide the wrist pin and circlips in the piston then slide the jug down.. A little wd40 or light oil helps it along. Get ready to pinch your finger tips and don't expect to just drop it on. It takes a little pacientce...

mineralgrey01gt
11-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
sorry just noticed my piston came with new clips and pin lol.

Having a hell of a time getting the cylinder over the piston rings by myself. any tips?

also is it okay to have oil on the gasket surfaces while assembling? I cleaned them real good but while oiling the cylinder wall and piston it's getting on the gasket surface too

Engine builder locally showed me and my brother to put the piston in the cylinder with the rings and such as if it was going in for good then slide the pin in and put the clip in, 100000x easier this way and saves a lot of time and headache

CJM
11-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
Engine builder locally showed me and my brother to put the piston in the cylinder with the rings and such as if it was going in for good then slide the pin in and put the clip in, 100000x easier this way and saves a lot of time and headache

Agreed, 2nd set of hands makes this method work quite well. I leave the end of the piston hanging out while the helper holds the jug and then I slide the wristpin in. Make sure you have the circlip on one side and then just slap the other circlip in once the pins in. Make sure to put rags into the bottomend so nothing can fall in.