PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on FOX SHOX

rd2005
11-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I need some info/opinions on Fox Shox. We run a 08 Apex 90cc MXR pro with stock set a-arms & swingarm. Apparently the only shock they offer for stock set of a-arms is the Float R & the rear Podium X not sure if it’s the piggy back or remote. The Float R does not offer the Low Speed Compression like most other shocks. I need some input on these shocks & your opinion on them. My rider weighs est 68-70 pounds with gear. Thanks

fastrnrik
11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Elka has shocks for the Apex. Elka has the fronts and a rear listed on Ebay right now. Motowoz offers shocks for the Apex, and PEP will make shocks for it too

We recently bought a '10 Apex and it had the Fox Float/Podium shocks on it. I have never been a fan of Fox float shocks on any quad, especially on the mini's. The guy I bought the bike from ordered them and put them on just the way they came with the Fox general "set up". They sucked... BAD. I was going to switch to Motowoz, but just for kicks I took them to our local shock guy we use and had them set up the way I wanted, specifically the rear. Now, after being reworked, they are great, very plush, and we are happy with them. I am picky about suspension and my son will p.iss and moan if his shocks aren't the way he likes. He says the Fox's are just as good as one of his other bikes that has PEP's on it, which is saying a lot because that's his favorite bike LOL. My son is 65lbs, similar to yours.

Me personally, I'm a PEP guy. If I were buying new, I'd want PEP's, but they are spendy, so I would more than likely buy Motowoz. We have a set on a long travel DRR that are very good, and they are priced about the same as the Fox, plus their customer service is great too. If you really want the Fox's they will work good once set up properly. Elka's are just ok. I've never had a set, full size bike or mini quad, that I really liked, no matter how much we tried to set them up.

Just my $.02
Good Luck

rd2005
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks fastrnrik for the info. Got another question regarding your input...when you said you took them to a "local shock guy we use and had them set up the way I wanted, specifically the rear"...what exactly needed to be done? How much will I be spending to have them properly adjusted? I will not use Elka but we are toying with the idea of Motowoz or FOX Shoxs. I'm trying to get as much feedback on these from Fox users. My concern is are the Float R's adequate for our rider? I hope more folks jump in on this conversation...Thanks again fastrnrik :)

Doug10
11-24-2011, 03:41 AM
What has been your experience with Elkas?

I am in the same situation with a purchase on an upcoming 2011 Apex and my rider weights 45lbs so i know the stock shocks are not going to work.

I was leaning twords the Elka Stage 3's, Piggy back in the front and external in the rear.

fastrnrik
11-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I just re-read your first post. Are you buying the Fox float R or float X? We run the float X and they are compression and rebound adjustable. The float R's are only rebound adjustable, and are not very good. We tried them on a DRR last year.

Anyway, the Podium rear comes with a big ol single rate spring and when set right & with the fronts aired up, it had no sag, it's ride height was crazy high, and just as a package generally sucked. My kid rode one lap with it like that, pulled in, and told me to fix it or he wouldn't ride it LOL. I had our shock guy convert the rear to a dual rate setup and re-valve it accordingly. Simple deal, but night & day difference.

The fronts are a little different because the air pressure controls ride height AND compression, so it's not like they can be revalved & resprung like a standard shock. Once we got our rear shock sorted out, our fronts were much better so we didn't have to do anything to them except to find the air pressure that worked the best. After riding it hard we will be changing to a heavier shock oil though, to help with compression without adding more air (which changes ride height... stupid air shocks haha)

Again, if buying new I would say Motowoz over Fox. They are a better shock and they have the setup for the minis pretty dang close. Motowoz is more of a custom shock builder, where Fox is a cookie cutter mass producer. Not, thats bad, but the Fox's will require being setup to be "right". Just my opinion.

mmsoup
11-24-2011, 11:57 AM
We've run Fox Float X (Resi's)and Podium X (Remote) for two years on our Apex

One of the if no the plushest setups we run with

had Motowoz a couple of years ago and have nothing but good things to say..

Comes down to personal choice but like these both better than Elkas

chunky0071
11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I haven't run ether on a mini but I can tell you this by the time you get the Elka's reworked so they function like they should you could have bought ether of the other options and put change in your pocket.

rd2005
11-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
I just re-read your first post. Are you buying the Fox float R or float X? We run the float X and they are compression and rebound adjustable. The float R's are only rebound adjustable, and are not very good. We tried them on a DRR last year.
I was told by FOX that the only shock available for stock Apex a-arms are the Float R's. Which seem very basic.
Doug10...I personaly have not had Elka shocks but I have done my research & they are good shocks but they are pulled off the shelf, then set to weight blah, blah & sent to you. From what I have researched about Motowoz they are more designed for the individual using them & as stated earlier by others has great customer service. My son has raced 22 races this year on stock 2010 Apex shocks. He is taking a beating & breaking things now. The only reason we did not put him in better shocks was due to our budget (seat/race time vs having custom shocks). He certainly has earned a new set of shocks. He never complains about needing better shocks but as a parent watching him bottom out or hit his chest into the bars is terrible. So when I get him a new set of custom shocks I want to make the right choice!
Sounds like the FOX shox is not what he needs & thank you all for helping me do the math on this.

chunky0071
11-24-2011, 07:06 PM
http://derisiracing.com/home/ Give Santos a call he can help you out. If you have the long travel a-arm's then you get the Float X. The R's are for standard travel.
Santos has been working on the set up of these shocks for the mini's for a while. Out of the box they are ok but with his mods they are much better!

redonkulousruntsracing
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
thats why if you buy Elka's you call Jon at the factory and have them built for you riders weight, machine and riding style. When I had mine built for my son 3 years ago, they had to get special springs for them because he was only 45 lbs. When we got them my son told me they "were smooth like butter!" 3 years of use now, and except for routine rebuilds and valving changes due to a growing kid, they have preformed flawlessly. Where we run, 80% of ALL minis run Elka's over any other brand. Because they are built for minis, not just something that fits, which you will find with others.
my 2 cents...maybe 3,lol

chunky0071
12-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Just FYI any shock you buy will have to be set up a little after you get them they are NOT bolt on perfect they have to be adjusted. The biggest thing I see is people getting new shocks and banging on them because they are to hard or to soft bluh bluh bluh. Keep in mind you may have to find a shock shop that can help get them tuned in!

edwardsp&b
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Not trying to get into a pissing contest here but...........
I am going to tell you what a very, very reputable shock builder told me once when I asked that question. The Elka's are pretty good shocks, when set up correctly. But they are generic shock parts. In other words, Elka buys a couple of truckloads of shock bodies, a couple of truckloads of valve heads, etc etc... and puts them together. They are NOT custom shocks. Now Im sure you can take them and rebuild (valving and shimming) them for your liking afterwards, but thats on you and your wallet. Its kinda like Works Shocks, better than stock, but not as good as you can get. We have had a couple sets of Elka's and like them until we discovered Motowoz.

We really like Motowoz. Thats what we have been riding for a year or so now. If you want to see how they perform, go on youtube and look up "Cole Shake hitting the whoops at Pell city"
That should give you a great idea of where you want to be.

The biggest issue for me would be customer service at the track, when I need it most. Ive tried to deal with the Elka guy at the track, but he seemed a little too busy mounting tires at another trailer to help us. My thoughts are that if we are spending the bucks for a good shock, I would like to have just a little service if I needed it.

If you really want to ask the guru on shocks, call Norris Quinn at Quinn Motosports. He sets up and builds shocks for pros and minis. After a couple of hours talking with him you will be alot more knowledgeable than you are now. He will also inform you on how much shock performance will help your rider, so you want to be right when spending the bucks.

As always thats just my `2 cents........
Bryan

redonkulousruntsracing
12-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Bryan good point on customer service. That is key. I guess its a matter of preferance and past experience. In reality, anything, motowoz,elka, fox, or peps are a vast improvement over the stock shocks. I know what I like you know what you like, all we can do is offer our advise and share how things have worked for us in the past. Then its up to the people to decide...

chunky0071
12-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey Bryan you left Fox out of the generic list just sayin! But in truth your right.

Bens Dad
12-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Brian hit the head on the nail ask a shock builder or someone thats rebuilds, and sets up quads for a living. Brian ,and myself and everyone that races with us has seen what a correctly!! set up looks like on the track. Or ask the kid ridding he will tell you, and show you the differance. Call Norris Quinn I have his number let him tell what he thinks! my opinion is Moto-waz coming from personal experiance!!!!!

wickestangwv
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
ok back from the deep. Where is the best place with the best price to buy motowoz?

jandjracing
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wickestangwv
ok back from the deep. Where is the best place with the best price to buy motowoz?

I can help you with that. Call or text 615.818.1858 - Kevin

wickestangwv
03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
can you e-mail me wickedstangwv2003@gmail.com i'm over seas at the moment and cannot call.

RCR_531
03-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Jim at Motowoz is great to work with and Doug is at the track in the Root River pits to help with any problems. My son says his Apex feels like a floating on a cloud.

wickestangwv
03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
PM sent j and J