PDA

View Full Version : Kick Start Or 24volt

THR36
11-21-2011, 06:12 PM
What do you guys think about using kick start or using batteries?

also if you use kick start how much wiring does that actually get rid of??
and about how much is a kick start kit??

mx Eli
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
cheapest kicker kit iv found was 405 bux, but its worth it. no more buying starter clutchs and having to charge a battery. well worth it in my opinion

audioworks04
11-21-2011, 06:27 PM
On a 450r, the weight loss comes mostly from the battery. As far as a delete kit cost, its not cheap you have to buy each part from honda, honda does not offer a kit like yamaha does IIRC.

THR36
11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
do i pretty much lose all the wiring on the bike?
its a honda 450 btw, do i need to get a hotstart?

audioworks04
11-21-2011, 06:50 PM
No, you retain all of the wiring except what goes to the battery and from the battery. still need stator coil cdi. Could also delete lights if you wanted. Hot start would be helpful. Every fcr carb that i have always seen just have a plug in the hot start of the carb, remove that plug and hook up your cable. If you do delete your lights, I would be interested in your tail light.

DnB_racing
11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
I put a kick start on my quad about 2 years ago,along with 24 volt

and at that time I kept my e-start saying the next hiccup of trouble from the e-start system and its all coming out...

its been starting flawless with the duel batteries, im actually considering removing the kicker and still keep the batteries

im running 2 5lb batteries and I cant tell any difference with weight,

one day of not hitting the all you can eat buffet line and i keep the same amount of weight..lol

leev26
11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
I run the 24 volt and the kicker...love it! The electrical system on my 07 is still all original, haven't touched anything.

grant14
11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I have the 24 volt on my 06. works great! :D i have had no problems with it, and am going to add one to the 2012 i just bought. fwiw

mx Eli
11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
a couple dealers have a conversion kit for sale

THR36
11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
all you guys running the 24volt, how many starter cluthces, starters did you guys have to replace??

can you get me the info on one of these conversion kits? about how much??

Scro
11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by THR36
all you guys running the 24volt, how many starter cluthces, starters did you guys have to replace??

can you get me the info on one of these conversion kits? about how much??

I never had to replace a starter. I only replaced one starter clutch, which I'm convinced would have happened even if I were using one battery. You can buy a kit from Dirtworks, but you don't really need a kit. You only need to take the wire from the post of the starter, connect it to the negative of the second battery, and run a new wire from the positive of the second battery to the post on the starter (DnB correct me if I'm wrong). Just fabricate a mount, and you're ready to go.

THR36
11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
well i have the 24vlt already, but i was thinking abotu siwthcing only to kick start to get rid of buying batteries, starter clutches etc,

airmobile101
11-22-2011, 07:00 PM
I run a 24v setup. Kinda what Scro said........ I just run a extra battery under my hood with a fabbed bracket. I have a 2007 and have yet to replace the starter clutch. Plenty of racing on it also.
IMO, if your gonna run 24v system, you best have sealed AGM batteries. And......... if one goes bad, you replace both from what I understand.

quad2xtreme
11-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Toby at moto-xperts can add a hotstart to an existing carb. It isn't as simple as just taking a plug out and installing the cable...at least on the 2006 carb.

I converted to kickstart and discovered this.

DnB_racing
11-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by THR36

can you get me the info on one of these conversion kits? about how much?? 0 starter clutches after adding the second battery... it starts and engages the starter clutch so quick there is no slipping at all...

I have however had to replace the brushes in the starter itself once.. but that's because I do quite a few dead motor starts in second gear....that's having the quad in second gear pushing the button without clutch and going

the conversion is just adding a second battery in series, anyone can do it, its just as Scro says your lift the negative from old battery and wire to positive of new and neg of new battery to starter ground
I prefer to have the charging circuit on the second battery, but it doesnt change the results either way

do a search there have been many topics about adding the 2nd battery

DnB_racing
11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
here is a pic, notice the series loop on the batteries and were the charging circuit is, it actually on the wire to the positive of the second battery... but you can put it on the negative terminal of the first as that is actually the same wire as the 2nd battery positive, and in a battery electricity wont flow from negative to positive, only positive to negative
I found it to keep a better charge this way on the extra battery and still maintains a 12volt system along with a 24v start

but I still have to occasionally put a charge on the non system charged battery

and as airmobile said always use the same size and type of battery or the weaker will drain the stronger

THR36
11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
yah i have that hooked up already but wanting to maybe switch. idk hard decision of about what i want to do

quadfmx
11-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Which system are u guys running, Ive been told if u go 24V dont hold he start button for more than 5 sec at a time, and it would keep from having those starter issues, i dont know if this is true or not,
i got a 06erw/ kicker but i added an extra larger battery before the 24 v kits came out and put a street bike battery on there basically,
I been looking at
GT Thunders kit, it has a lithium battery, and the battery is small, but i already have an extra fabbed battery box where i dropped the stock batt and went with the larger battery.
Anyways what battery are u using and are u using a battery tender on it, the GTT charger was like 250 i heard they was getting a new charger for the lithium batt that is like a 100 but i dont know if they have them yet, so i was curious what others was using

mikey726
12-02-2011, 03:07 AM
I run two stock batteries and charge the second one with a battery tender. Every race when I'm racing, otherwise, i've gotten probably a couple hundred starts on a single charge (all within about two weeks) with no sign of slowing down. As for the kits, I know of dirtworks and ockerman racing products and maybe one more, and I think they're like $180 without a battery, but I built my own.

THR36
12-03-2011, 03:57 PM
think im gunna run a kickstart and one battery

sdxp787
12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
that diagram is very helpful.

DnB_racing
12-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by sdxp787
that diagram is very helpful. thanks,
I spent a couple sleepless nights doing just about every combination of components to eliminate and different ones to keep,

I did them all in the correct wire colors here is a link if you need to modify your harness, hope its helpful http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461586

mikey726
12-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
thanks,
I spent a couple sleepless nights doing just about every combination of components to eliminate and different ones to keep,

I did them all in the correct wire colors here is a link if you need to modify your harness, hope its helpful http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461586
Is there any advantage to doing it that way instead of just wiring the second battery between the solenoid and the starter?

DnB_racing
12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mikey726
Is there any advantage to doing it that way instead of just wiring the second battery between the solenoid and the starter? no, I dont see any difference,

its all about whats the easiest for you,this way just shows the basic principle,as with all wiring there are many ways to accomplish the same thing,

as long as you keep your auxiliary circuits Isolated to 12 volts, its all good:)

the regulator is designed to only allow 13.5 to 13.8 volts to charge the battery, even tho it will actually allow up to around 18 volts, to handle the total voltage drop of the system

any volts over 13.8 above the total volts used by lights, fan, line loss, etc.and battery charge, will be limited by resistors in the regulator and dissipated through heat.

making the charging system only able to handle one battery, no matter how its hooked up, you will always have to occasionally charge the second battery

rlord_4
12-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Well Dad, I think it's my '06 now hahaha

grant14
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Have any of you used the new lifo batteries from ballistic? I am going to add the 24 volt system to my new bike and the 4 cell ones will both fit in the stock battery box

gr race
01-29-2012, 07:02 PM
has anyone tried running dry cell battery they put out more cranking amps and are lighter ????

anderson3064
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
i am sure i read somewhere that the complete electrical system on the er's weights about 22 lbs. and goging to kicker only adds back 4 lbs.

310ESR
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Has anyone run the Ballistic batteries yet? I'm thinking of putting the 8 cells in because they fit in the stock box and additional box and are still lighter. My problem is I've herd they don't have the starting capabilities of the stock batteries.:D

grant14
02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Going with the same theme.... 2 of the 4 cell ones will fit in the stock box.... making a 24 volt system that weighs less and is all in the stock location... but i would like to know if anyone else has done it? Not that i mind being the first, but if it didnt would be good to know.

OTMTRX
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I pieced my kicker conversion together from parts on the forums / ebay / OEM.. did it all for about $300... lots of time searching though! Sold all the E-start stuff then for about $130.

I got a couple of set of picture instructions for the conversion I ripped off from various places if anyone wants them. PM your email if you do.

I never bothered with the hot start either fwiw... no probs starting.

DnB_racing
02-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by OTMTRX
I pieced my kicker conversion together from parts on the forums / ebay / OEM.. did it all for about $300... lots of time searching though! Sold all the E-start stuff then for about $130.

I got a couple of set of picture instructions for the conversion I ripped off from various places if anyone wants them. PM your email if you do.

I never bothered with the hot start either fwiw... no probs starting. just curious what did you set the starting compression at?

I still have my e-start so I have my compression at around 65, this way my 24volt system has no issues, im sure I could still bump it a little higher, if i start using the kick more often, ill probably bump it up to around 70-75, but with no e-start hooked up, you could go even more then that

OTMTRX
02-04-2012, 04:55 AM
When i first did it I left it about 65psi (more out of curiosity)..it started fine..never had a problem. Later when I changed cams I set it about 90... again still no problems.