PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid track

finsteratv
11-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I started building just trails this summer and found out how easy it is to just uncover old skid trails from logging (where we drag logs out). Where our property is the soil is very rich and moist near perfect for riding conditions. we have 80 acres but our family combined is somthing around 300 acres and im able to ride all over the family property and we're actually looking to buy more. Basically what i've done is opened skid trails and after branches/rocks are removed you have an 8 foot wide high speed trail. My plans are to add jumps into these Skid trails then have them become downsized into just a usual trail leading to another section of skid trails/jumps.Also going to throw in some single track for dirtbikes. Has anyone else built somthing like this or a track in general? im looking to put in some small jumps and table tops would be cool too, my main problem is bringing dirt in would be a big project or if i should just dig it. I'm basically looking for jump building advice and general input on my idea. Thanks guys! sort of GNCC style but with some smaller MX style jumps.

slightlybent47
11-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Even if you have equipment to move the dirt, it takes a LOT of dirt to make jumps. The best and safest jumps are tables and they take the most dirt. I would put any jumps fairly close together so it becomes a rhythm section. (Way more fun)
I would also try to put the jumps where there are fewer trees on the sides, if you land wrong it will give you time to gather it up before you hit a tree.lol

Using dirt from on site will probably be the best way unless you can get it fir free from a construction site.
Use logs on the bottom of the jumps and put dirt on top. That will get rid of the logs and save on dirt. Make sure you cover them with a good layer so if it ruts out you are not getting down to the logs.

Good luck, post a vid of the track.

HondaRacing83
11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
for table tops use logs as filler for the most part then a smal layer of dirt but you have to pack dirt in between to

finsteratv
11-20-2011, 04:13 PM
ahhh maybe finally a good use for the stumps and broken logs! and Bent, im definately planning on putting the jumps in more open areas haha..

KingpinsEx
11-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I would recommend going with small doubles. If you skip on building the tables tops, you will be able to build 2-3x more jumps. More dangerous yes, but I remember my buddy tried building a track one time. With all the dirt he had, he ended up building one huge table top and a berm. That used up all the dirt he had, not much of a track. He could have built at least 5 doubles or put in a rollers sections if he left that table out. Something to keep in mind. I like your idea though, similar to worcs style racing. I would love to race one of those tracks!

finsteratv
11-21-2011, 05:44 PM
alrighty thanks! table tops would be alot of work but i think some doubles would be good and i'll need to lear to jump them considering im hoping to start MX next summer on my CR.

KingpinsEx
11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Alot of people are intimidated by them, but theres nothing to it once you get the speed down. Just like a big table top. I actually think they are more fun. Good luck!

slightlybent47
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Doubles are fine but I would more concerned with my friends not knowing how to clear them safely. Your track, your land, your liability.

finsteratv
11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Doubles are fine but I would more concerned with my friends not knowing how to clear them safely. Your track, your land, your liability. exactly..but im planning on building a sort of lane around jumps so people dot have to jump.

mirror_racing
11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
just let them roll the jump if they are not cofmortable. You are going to want the doubles as wide as you can for quads. The typical skidder width should suffice.

Logs def work as a filler. All of my family (once me) are loggers so we used a bunch of old logs for jumps

Be carfull taking dirt out of the ground. You dont want to create a low spot that will hold water. My buddy built his track in the woods and it turend out great. The dirt was perfect for riding!

finsteratv
11-23-2011, 12:05 AM
thanks for the tips guys! looks like i'll be using extra logs and stuff as filler. im not sure how well our skidder would push dirt. i know not like a cat but it should be able to do atleast a little bit.

racer36
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
ive started to do the same thing over the summer, one thing ive learned is to make sure you can get to all of the jumps so you can get the ruts out, and make some sections that you can easily change up, i think ive changed something on mine everyweek since i started

hunter61
11-23-2011, 11:12 AM
the main thing i would keep in mind is top soil will never pack and hold like the dirt under the top soil will.

OldGuyonaQuad
11-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Let me know once the guest quaters are complete, I will load up and head out to check it out ;)

Rocks will help bind the dirt in the base layer too. I've never built any tracks but god knows I have filled in my share of puddle holes.

finsteratv
11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Let me know once the guest quaters are complete, I will load up and head out to check it out ;)

Rocks will help bind the dirt in the base layer too. I've never built any tracks but god knows I have filled in my share of puddle holes. Well in june we completed our gravel trailer parking and camp area..but we have no weekend vacancy due to our trailer and quads bing there often with good weather :D

mirror_racing
11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
The hardest part about using a skidder is getting the jumps packed down

finsteratv
11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
thats what i was expecting due to the nature of the tires..maybe shovels and my dads UTE? then smooth it over with shovels

slightlybent47
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Sounds like you need to learn how to use a loader.lol
I spent about 6 ours a day on one for about 5 years so I can talk!...lol