PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain replacement is seriously a nightmare! (advice needed)

Tommy '02EX
11-20-2011, 12:20 PM
So this cam chain replacement is turning into a nightmare. Any easy way of getting the chain off/new chain on without having to remove the clutch? Also can't seem to get the cam sprocket off of the cam. Any easy ways to remove that? Any help would be much appreciated, before I start breaking/ damaging things. Thanks.

Baileygunns
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Clutch is easy to take off... Take out the 5 clutch bolts/springs, pull out all the fibers and steels, Hold the clutch basket with a glove and hit the center nut with an impact gun... If you don't have an impact gun put it in 1st gear and have some one stand on the rear brake and use a breaker bar and maybe a little heat. You could even tap the handle of the breaker bar with a hammer to shock the bolt to get it loose... Comes right off.

Unless you are swapping cams you don't need to take the sprocket off. After taking the cam chain tensioner out you can wiggle the bearings off the ends of the cam and have enough slack to slip the cam out from under the chain with the sprocket still on...

05DodgeDakota
11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm in the same boat. How do you "unstake" the locknut?

Tommy '02EX
11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
I've been running with not only a stretched cam chain but also the tensioner was completely shot...so the cam sprocket teeth are now a little rounded. Hence the replacement. I'm known to break everything I touch, so im just looking for some tips/hints before I try to muscle something and screw myself in the long run.

Reece616
11-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Taking the staked nut off is very simple...
if you have an impact wrench that is...

It'll come right off. I didn't have one so I ran to lowes, grabbed the most powerful electric impact they had and it zipped it right off. I returned the wrench when I was done with the job without any issues.

The cam spocket is easy enough as well.
I believe it was 2 6mm allen head bolts.
They're on pretty good (loctite) so it takes some force. I used a ratchet on the left side (how you turn the engine over to get to TDC) to hold it back while I loosened the cam sprocket bolts.

The job really isn't that hard, it just takes some time, and if you dont have an impact wrench it can be a pain.

Good luck.

CJM
11-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Take a small punch and a hammer and you will notice one part of the nuts pushed in towards the center, smack it out. When done smack it back in.

Stickman400
11-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Next best thing to us on here is buying a Honda or Clymer service manual. They have step-by-step instructions with clear pictures on how to do EVERYTHING to these 400s. But if you can understand what everybody is telling you, then it isn't hard at all.

CJM
11-20-2011, 08:56 PM
^ Downloading it works too, but having the manual next to the bike is nice.

Reece616
11-21-2011, 06:41 AM
I actually downloaded the manual and then transferred it onto my droid phone so when im out working on my quad I can look something up without going to my computer.

Tommy '02EX
11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I've actually had the clymer manual next to me the whole time. I've found over the years that talking and learning from people who have already gone through the paces, seems to help me out much more. Some of the stuff ive read on here has come in pretty handy. Appreciate all the help guys! Hope to be up and running soon!

05DodgeDakota
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
yea, for instance the clymer's manual says to grind off the thing to unstake it...

CJM
11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
yea, for instance the clymer's manual says to grind off the thing to unstake it...

thats real smart...

Ive used those cylmer manuals before and they always have odd ways of doing things that could turn out horrible sometimes.

05DodgeDakota
11-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
thats real smart...

Ive used those cylmer manuals before and they always have odd ways of doing things that could turn out horrible sometimes.

yea that's why I asked. I was about to just say f*** it and not replace my timing chain lol. So basically I just pry that ring out of the indented spot right?

Reece616
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM
If you have an impact wrench and 27 mm socket you wont even have to think about it. It'll come right off.

CJM
11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Still need to unstake it. Just push it out with a small cold chisel and hammer.

Reece616
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
When I did mine I didn't even touch it.
Hit it with the impact and it came off.

When I put it back on I staked it, but not to get it off. Weird.

CJM
11-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Reece616
When I did mine I didn't even touch it.
Hit it with the impact and it came off.

When I put it back on I staked it, but not to get it off. Weird.

Perhaps yours was unstaked or removing it with an impact just jammed it off. I also used an impact but unstaked it to make sure I didnt damage anything.

Reece616
11-22-2011, 05:38 PM
It just powered it off.
Afterwards I checked it over and nothing was damaged.
I was pretty impressed with how well the impact worked.

05DodgeDakota
11-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Still need to unstake it. Just push it out with a small cold chisel and hammer.

Still having a hard time understanding how to unstake it? I tryed to pry it out with a flat blade screwdriver but I can't get behind it. I don;t see how you can get a chisel behind it and I don;t wanna screw nothing up

BlasterEaten250
11-25-2011, 09:11 AM
I didn't unstake mine either, just hit it with an impact and it's off and everything is fine.

05DodgeDakota
11-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I gonna buy a chisel and punch set on the way home and if that don't work I'm gonna buy a 19.2V cordless impact wrench

tripicana
11-25-2011, 11:02 AM
skip the chisel and punch, get the impact, return it after you're done if you need to.

Baileygunns
11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
^^^x2

I have taken countless clutch baskets off between atv, dirtbikes, streetbikes and have never tried to unstaked that nut. An impact will push it out as it spins. All that little tang does is keep it from walking on its own, not going to keep an impact from taking it off. You risk damaging the nut or the treads with a punch/chisel...

05DodgeDakota
11-25-2011, 12:38 PM
and how do yall hold the basket if not using that special tool?

Baileygunns
11-25-2011, 12:41 PM
With my hand... Or you can pop it in gear and hold the rear brake.

Thumpin440ex
11-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Yep no need to unstake it.. A impact will pull it rite off. It is not necc going to mess any thing up because it is at the very end of the thread.. If it was deep on the thread I could see trying to do it.. If you def want to do it a small punch or flat head, get the steak point facing down, tap out on it with a hammer.. But like said it is not a must.. It is a good idea to set it again
after the nut is back on and tight..

John

CJM
11-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I bought the clutch holding tool from rocky mtn, I think its worth it but its not needed.

Stuffing rags around the basket will also work.

Tommy '02EX
11-26-2011, 04:49 PM
I can't get it unstaked either. I've tried to hit it with two dif impact wrenches and no luck. Ready to go back to a two stroke. Lol!

Thumpin440ex
11-26-2011, 05:08 PM
What are you using a 3/8 impact ? lol.. It is a right thread nut.. it is only on there @ 80lbs.. Should buzz right off..

John

Baileygunns
11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
They're staked on a 2 stroke also, lol...

Hold that basket tight so it isn't bouncing around. Try the "in gear on the brake" method.

Tommy '02EX
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
They're staked on a 2 stroke also, lol...

Hold that basket tight so it isn't bouncing around. Try the "in gear on the brake" method.

I meant that two strokes are a little easier to work on. I've never had this must trouble/frustration working on a motor. Just gonna bring it with me to work on Monday and take the air impact to it. Thanks for all the help guys.

05DodgeDakota
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
what size socket is that locknut btw? I bought an impact wrench but I don't have a socket that big...

also, do yall replace the locknut?

Reece616
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
27mm socket.
If the nut is in good shape, you can re use

05DodgeDakota
12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
it seems like the cam sprocket doesn't fully seat into the HD timing chain....

Stickman400
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
it seems like the cam sprocket doesn't fully seat into the HD timing chain.... When I put mine back together it looked that way too. Once you get it all tightened back up and release the tensioner it will be more than tight enough to hold it to the sprocket.