PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on from the 300EX?

dirtdawg
11-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Like it says, should I move up? I have a 300 that is in limbo, as I wanted to do a build but never could get the money in order to do it.

I think if I sell it off, I'll get a decent chunk of change and then try to save up for a little and then buy a 400ex in the spring or during the summer.

From what I've heard about the 400, they are easier to handle and obviously have more power. Ever since I've had the 300, it just seems bulky, heavy, and it throws you around a lot, even with my shocks and stuff.

So, at this point, I think it is best to sell the parts off on here and save up for a new machine. I've had this for 3 or 4 years now, and I'm 19, so I think it's time to move on. It only took me 2-3 years to get sick of my 250, so the time seems right.

Let me know what you 400 owners think. Thanks.

finsteratv
11-20-2011, 12:34 AM
are the shocks set up for you? they should be smooth since theyre aftermarket. but if you're needing to build a 300ex you might as well get a 400..

ish416
11-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I'd check prices on an LTZ-400, KFX400 or DVX400 before I dropped coin on an EX. They are better quads with more potential than a 400EX and similarly priced, at least around here.

Either way you go, a 400 will be quite a bit better than your 300 as far as power and handling capabilities.

dxcody
11-20-2011, 07:11 AM
I started on a 300ex also, its a great jump from a 300ex to a 400ex. Its the best thing i ever did.

I still ride my old 300ex sometimes, since my buddy owns it now, and let me tell you, after riding a 400 you will be like holy cow that thing is slow.

400ex's are the top 400's in my opinion and yes i am biased. :D
You can go a long long way on a 400ex, before you feel the need for a 450.

Especially for you, my 300ex lasted me about 6-7 months before i was like "Man this thing is slower than time" but alot of that comes from me riding with my buddies, who all have 450's and trying to keep pace with a 450, when on a 300ex is not quite so easy, but i will tell you, i learned more on my 300ex than i have any other quad.. Thats why i try to tell my buddy who just bought his 300ex like two months ago to just keep it and get used to riding as he says he wants a 400 already.

Let a kid for example (age 13-15) start riding on a 300ex and work his way up to a 450R by the time he is, say, 17. Then throw a rookie on a 450R and put them on an obstical course, the kid who has worked his way up is going to be a far better rider thanks to working his way up, rather than just hoping on a fast machine.

You will love a 400ex especially if your just your everyday trail rider. They are reliable, peppy, and can do just about anything to the rider abilities.

My opinion to this is.... DO IT! You wont regret it. :)

DnB_racing
11-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by dirtdawg
Like it says, should I move up? I have a 300 that is in limbo, as I wanted to do a build but never could get the money in order to do it.

From what I've heard about the 400, they are easier to handle and obviously have more power. Ever since I've had the 300, it just seems bulky, heavy, and it throws you around a lot, even with my shocks and stuff.

if your 300 seams heavy and bulky then im not sure if your really ready to move up... years ago when i had my 300 it really seamed light and very nimble, just not that fast....

even to this day after owning or riding almost every sport quad made, the 300 was one of the top tight woods quad Ive ever road, followed closely by the 400ex and ltz400...

if I was to choose a quad to ride all day long in the tightest technical course, to this day Id probably still pick the 300... but if the courses you ride are at all opened up and you can get some speed going then the 400ex is the quad for you:)

the ltz seams a little faster but not quite as nimble as the ex but a very good option depending on your riding preference

Ruby Soho
11-20-2011, 08:39 AM
go for the 400. way more fun lol.

honda400ex2003
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
imo i would go with a 400. the 300 is great for just messing around but just falls flat quickly without a ton of mods.

400 FTW.

steve

HondaRacing83
11-20-2011, 11:08 AM
i hate to be the downer here but if you think your 300ex is heavy and bulky then im not sur ehowd you like the 400. i came off a raptor 250 to my 400ex. that raptor was the lightest and most nimble quad ever to me. it was crazy easy to throw around. tthen i get on a 400ex, god it was heavier than hell. tank was a lot bigger. harder to jump. but fast. now , i think its just as light and nimble as my raptor was. i guess it just takes alot of getting used to. now, im losing interest in quads. the 400s getting slow. i dont wanna do any motorwork eaither

finsteratv
11-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe a 250r would be more your style if your looking for lightweight and nimble.

dirtdawg
11-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Based on some research I've done, it looks like I either want a DVX 400 or the ex. The specs on all of them are basically the same, just the bore and stroke are different. The DVX has a couple more cc's, weighs like 2 pounds less, and it looks better. But obviously I'm not gonna buy just on looks. Haven't heard too many negatives about either.

I've owned a blaster, 250ex, and the 300 so far. The blaster was too fast for my trails at home, could barely get out of 2nd. Well, that was 3-4 years ago and I've done some work since then. Just hated the kick start.

I don't have the cash right now, but I probably will in the spring or summer. I saw a really nice 400 for like $2000. Other than that, they all look old like 99's. I want one thats at least 2004+.
Here's the ad for the 400 I saw:

http://providence.craigslist.org/rvs/2644637939.html

HondaRacing83
11-20-2011, 12:30 PM
good deal

Stickman400
11-20-2011, 01:12 PM
The LTZ400 and Kawi 400s are liquid cooled too, which makes then alittle more reliable in the heat and when you start boring them. But that would make them alittle more difficult to work on too(I would assume), never worked on the top end of a liquid cooled machine, so don't quote me. I'd go with a 400ex, they are solid, easy to work on, reliable and if you throw a few parts at it its a pretty good contender on a track too.

chronicsmoke
11-20-2011, 01:51 PM
The Ltz and clones are a better bike than a 400 all around. The liquid cooled is only a bonus IMO. They are a little more complex, but liquid cooling means less overheating. I had a stock LTZ that I sold because my 400 is ready built up and I don't want to loose my shirt to sell it. The ltz400 with a full exhaust and filter ran neck and neck with my 426. I still love the 426 though, it has way more torque

powerbomb400
11-20-2011, 03:14 PM
We do mainly woods riding and long distance. Its nothing for us to 25 miles away from the trailers and the 400ex is a reliable machine. Has lots of torque and for the wood trails you can't beat them. I use a GPS and my 05 had over 17,000 miles on it before I had it rebuilt. We go to WV two or three times a year and would put 400 to 500 miles in a week. You can even get a Clark Desert tank for the 400ex. Its 5.5 gallon and there are a ton of aftermarket parts for them. Another good thing about the 400ex in the 05 and later models is they have reverse.

HondaRacing83
11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
ltz and clones had its bugs and issues and im fairly sure they still do but ive seen more of them blown up then i have 400exs

finsteratv
11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
plus there are TONS of used parts for the EX's due to them being so popular.

chronicsmoke
11-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
ltz and clones had its bugs and issues and im fairly sure they still do but ive seen more of them blown up then i have 400exs

Mine (z400) was more reliable than my 426. It takes some work to make them even against each other.

I'm Honda guy too, but I appreciate the other bikes for what they are. They are more reliable than the 400ex when you bore them out, or mod them at all really. More potential period.

My advice: find the best deal out there, if it's a KFX, then get it, if it's a 400ex, then get it. I speak from personal experience that the LTZ is a better bike (stock for stock) and has more potential. It's funny how some hardcore honda fans just can't admit it..

dxcody
11-21-2011, 06:06 AM
lets not turn this into a huge debate about which model is better though guys, just as Chronic Said, Find the best deal, if its a honda its a honda, if its a suzuk its a suzuk.

HondaRacing83
11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
i am by no mean a hardcore honda fan. im pretty unbiased. i like my 400ex. i like my cr125. id take something else its not like "go honda or go home!" . the z had some probs when it first came out. the whole dohc and liquid cooled thing gets me a little sketchier. i guess its not that bad. the 400ex is fairly proven

ish416
11-21-2011, 03:22 PM
The only known issues I have known on the Z400 and its clones were weak swingarms and soft axles. Those were both fixed after the first year of production.

CJM
11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
LTZ/KFX/DVX all are the same quad, decently built and reliable but more complicated than a 400ex will ever be.

What a 400ex has going for it is simplicity. Anyone and I mean anyone with barely any skill can fix and maintain it. While it will never be an insane powerhouse, its easy to modify and add some power too. Most of all its been in production for a long time so parts are quite easy to find.

Thats just my take. If Im going to be spending the cash on something with liquid cooling and such Im buying a 450..why waste my cash on a 400cc machine at that point??

chronicsmoke
11-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ish416
The only known issues I have known on the Z400 and its clones were weak swingarms and soft axles. Those were both fixed after the first year of production.

To add to your points, the 03-04s also had weak frames, but were corrected in 05. The 05+ are king of the 400 class. In terms of potential/stock performance anyway

If you do your own engine work, and don't want to race, get an EX. If you want to race, get a stock 450! They aren't so powerful in stock trim..

ish416
11-21-2011, 04:57 PM
To add to your points, the 03-04s also had weak frames, but were corrected in 05.

I have personally broken 3 gusseted EX frames so the same could be said of them, just that Honda has never updated them.

I think that a DVX/KFX/Z400 is a better long term investment. It's a quad that you could easily modify once you get bored with it and have something that will run just as well as a 450 without having to sell it and buy a quad with questionable history.

I bought my EX brand new in 99 and have loved it ever since. It has been a great quad and I will never part with it unless I absolutely have to. On the other hand, if I would have been in the market for a new quad in 03 I would have picked up a Z400 and said the exact same thing as my Honda except I wouldn't own my KFX450 because I could have just dumped some money into the engine and chassis and had a quad that would have been just as good or better than my KFX450 and saved myself several thousand dollars.

It just makes more sense to me to look for a Z400 or clone as a first choice over a 400EX.

Honda4life05
11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I would jump to a 450, your going to get bored with the 400ex after awhile.

dirtdawg
11-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't have a ton of places to ride, and my trails don't have that many straights so the 450 wouldn't be practical. Plus they cost more.

mineralgrey01gt
11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I had a decently stout 400ex and it was fun but much heavier feeling than what I was used to. My first quad was a 250r then I got the 400ex, then a banshee (which was fun but only for a straight line) now I have my 450 which is a totally different animal. I will say though id love to have another 400ex for the trails. I had a blast riding it through trails and not caring how bad it got tore up and such. Cant do that with my LTR.

Ill add also that dont think you have to have long straights and stuff for a 450 cause you dont. Trust me I rode my LTR in some tight stuff and it felt way the hell faster than my EX did in the same trails. Made it more fun personally but like you said in your post, they do cost more and much more to maintain.

trailrider894
11-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't get a 400ex??? Is that good advice enough for you?? I mean don't get me wrong... they are great, if you are marginal rider who likes to do a little of everything and is looking for a EXTREMEMLY versatile quad with a INSANely long life span, then this is for you. But, for me I wished i woulda got a 450r, the power of the 400ex just isn't enough to race MX, or even dune really. Stock that is, but once you spend $750-$1250 on EX engine upgrades then you'll be about up to a 450r, with a slip-on.

Here is the deal... the 450r's are selling dirt cheap, almost as cheap as the 400ex, just do the math on the upgrades, 2200 dollar 400ex with 750 in engine upgrades, 1500 in good suspension... thats 4450 dollars... or buy a race ready 450r for 4500 with everything done to it. Just saying, though... ha ha BUT, i still love my EX, i'll get rid of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Thumpin440ex
11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Alot of people like to look at the reliability factor.. Yes the 400 ex engine design is almost 30 years old, has not changed.. Reason is it is a extremely reliable engine, about bullet proof.. From all of the z 400's I have seen, they were far from the actual quality then the ex is imo. My friend just bought one(z400) he is kicking his self in the *** now because it is a pos.. Other buddy bought a trx450r, has been nothing but a mess, maint issue ect.. He said F it and bought a 400, likes it alot better for the trails, is actually considering selling the 450.. It doesn't take to to much to get the old ex peppy.. Will it be the fastest out there?? Prob not, but it is a great overall bike.. Parts for these things are like small block chevy parts.. They are cheap and are every where. I myself had a 450r also, it was a fast snappy bike, but for my style rising, I opt to keep my old ex.. But like said if the 300 feels bulky to you the suspension is either not set up rite, or it is to heavy of a bike for you. The 400 is a bit bigger.. Do a pipe, drop a tooth off the front, add a timing key, the 400 will wake up a bit..

John

dirtdawg
11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! lol. I'm just saying that i'm not sure because i've owned hondas before and i just want to mix it up.

I like the whole liquid-cooled concept of the DVXs and such, and i just think i'd like to try a new manufacturer. I'd like to try and ride both and see what they're like before I make up my mind. I just want to test the market if u know what I mean.

I've never had problems with my hondas, (except my 300 had a cracked case when I got it but I didn't see until much later. ******* had skidplates on so I couldn't tell), but like u said the design of the EX is old. I'm not writing either quad off until I take them for a spin.

But I had a works quadstar rear shock that was freshly built, and a set of works front shocks so that wasn't an issue. I think like u said it wasn't set right.

I had to change the rear shock when I got it cuz the first small jump I went off it bottomed out so hard I lost control and almost fell off! That was NOT fun.

But I have a while to make my decision cuz I have to get the money in order. Can't buy a quad without the money!

dxcody
11-22-2011, 02:19 AM
my 100% honest opinion, if you dont get a honda, get a suzuki.

I know the suzuki and kawi just have different plastic, but a white Z400 looks amazingly badas* in my opinion. Especially the new one.

The main reason i say get a honda is, its hard to find a z400 in decent shape for under $2000, when you can get a pretty good 400ex all day around here for $13-1500

99_300ex
11-22-2011, 03:18 AM
I went right from a 300ex to a 450r and love it haha it also helped that I got it dirt cheap but I would say if its mostly trails I would get the 400ex like a newer one with reverse cause that always helps just my opinion tho.

cheater13
11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
In my opinion, i would go with the 400ex just because it's honda haha. IF you happen to wreck it or something, most likely your only bend your handlebars compared to other 400's because the quality of the material. I just think the honda is a better, all around quad.

chronicsmoke
11-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by cheater13
In my opinion, i would go with the 400ex just because it's honda haha. IF you happen to wreck it or something, most likely your only bend your handlebars compared to other 400's because the quality of the material. I just think the honda is a better, all around quad.

Lol, post this in the Suzuki section and see what the biased opinion is over there.

My 400ex had EVERY possible problem when I first bought it NEW in 2001 (dealer even charged me $1500 for a harness replacement, hell I was only 13 when I bought it). I know I had a lemon, but still. The only thing that has proved reliable on my 400ex was the bottom end.

Most people are saying buy a 400ex, they are the best when they hav never spent more than an hour on the Z/KFX/DVX. The Z I had was an awesome machine and I would have kept it if I didnt have everything into my 400ex already. The ONLY advantages to the average rider is easy top-end replacements. (stock for stock the 400ex DOES NOT out handle the Z, I'd say they are about even)

I dont care what you end up getting, as said before just go for the right deal. I just don't want to to base your decision off of biased opinions in this thread. The "Reputable" members all say the same thing; The Z/Clones are a better base. Period.

JMO based on EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH! lol

Drfat400ex
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
About 2 months or so ago, I switched from a 2001 300ex, to a 2007 400ex, this is what I find. The 300ex is crammed when you are riding, the 400ex is more comfortable and breathably if you get what I mean. 300ex suspention=JUNK!!! Hit a 3 foot jump on a 300ex and you bottom out, hit a 35 foot flatland ramp, not even close on the 400ex. Depending on how modded your 300ex is compared to a modded or stock 400ex, there could be a dramatic power increase, or a small increase, my 300ex had a uni filter and a full system powercore 4, and when i got my 400ex it had a k&n, I found that it had a tad more power, but it has so much more potential, after I got a T-4 slip on, it has way more power and once I get my jets in I'm hoping it's even better yet. The only problem is that, if your doing wall to wall trail riding, you're 2 inches wider on a 400ex, and if you're going for a 99-04 400ex, reverse will be dearly missed. Hope that helps man!

dirtdawg
12-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah. Pretty much made up my mind. I'm gonna b looking for an 05 400ex in the spring. Don't have the funds yet, but probably $2,500 range.

05DodgeDakota
12-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Z400s are faster, but I went with honda for the simplicity. and 2500 should get you a nice 400.