PDA

View Full Version : good or bad idea

IRISH-RACER-14
11-19-2011, 05:37 PM
sold my 450r, miss it now and i want to build a quad..

would i be better off buying a used quad ?

i would like to do it this way and buy parts as i go, for example buying a frame, powercoating it, getting it rolling on 4 wheels, engine etc over a long period of time as i have money.

feuerstack411
11-19-2011, 05:42 PM
If you were going to do that, your best bet would be to get a parts quad. There's going to be a lot of stupid little parts that you'll need too. It'll probably be easier in the long run to just buy a used one.

buck440
11-19-2011, 06:00 PM
my friend bought a like new trx250r for $5,000 and he listed $15,000 in parts that were on it. aluminum frame and sub frame. new esr motor, fox shocks, longtravel suspension, lstar swingarm, walsh steering stem, hiper beadlock wheels, high flow radiator, fullbore, esv levers, galfer rotors...

i think it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a used race quad and fix the worn out parts than to build a quad with the same parts.

ATVMX33
11-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
sold my 450r, miss it now and i want to build a quad..

would i be better off buying a used quad ?

i would like to do it this way and buy parts as i go, for example buying a frame, powercoating it, getting it rolling on 4 wheels, engine etc over a long period of time as i have money.
That was what i always wanted to do...until i did it...
way too expensive

250x_kyle
11-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ATVMX33
That was what i always wanted to do...until i did it...
way too expensive

x2 but i didnt learn after the first one. its an addiction

honda400ex2003
11-20-2011, 10:02 AM
depending on what you want to build it is cheaper to just buy one used and mod it imo.

a 250r i would build frame up

a 450r i would buy and build, along with anything new enough to buy easily and get mods for.

just my .02 though,
steve

wilkin250r
11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Buy it used, ALWAYS buy it used. I'd give the same advice whether it's a basic build or a full-aftermarket racer.

Seriously, you're looking at $10,000 in parts, or well over $15,000 if you're going with high-end parts, for just the basic stuff. If you're actually building from scratch, you've got a ridiculous amount of money (thousands of dollars) in stupid parts like brake calipers, throttle cable, swingarm pivot bolt, shift lever, brake lines, ignition coil, wiring harness, steering stem bushing, fender mounting brackets, ect ect.

Or, you can buy a used quad with all the goodies for $4500, and then spend another $1200 getting it fine-tuned and freshened-up to your exact liking.

So it really comes down to $15k or $6k, your choice.

mirror_racing
11-20-2011, 08:18 PM
My brother bought a YFZ brand new in 06 and had 18,000 total in it (including the bike price) and ended up selling it for around six. Def better to get one used IMO.

I just traded my complete fully running Moto 440 for a houser rolling chassis because i liked the suspension and overall set up better. Now I get to go through it and know exactly what is in my quad. Yes expensive but its worth it to me (so far) Plus it will be like new when i finish