PDA

View Full Version : apex 90 pipe OPINIONS

chunky0071
11-19-2011, 11:07 AM
What pipe for a limited class Apex 90 with the air box. Lets hear it what the best pipe out there?
I was leaning to ether the PCS or the HETRICK Racing GenII. Is there any other choice if not which one of the above.

chunky0071
11-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Looking for best overall power will be used for XC racing. Just looking for a little more power.

chunky0071
11-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Bump

FISH ON!
11-20-2011, 08:06 AM
IMO...... All good pipes but my "other" choice was the Maximum RPM pipe. Justin has done dyno comparisons and can tell you what he found. I'm not sure how much he has compared them in stock form but he can tell you what gain has seen with his pipe on a stock motor.

I can tell you it is very strong on our machine......... although it is funky looking.

Oh...... big consideration......... If you are running GNCC limited class, I don't think any of those pipes will fit with a stock reverse intake airbox. Be sure to check that before you buy. Maximum RPM's pipe will work with a reverse intake but you would need his airbox which I don't think is legal for the limited class.

mmsoup
11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Todd is right on the airbox thing.

The Apex stock pipe is close to the Hetrick Gen II pipe according to Rick Hetrick, apparently his pipe was used for the template...........Rick mentioned that his Gen II pipe had an excellent torque curve and matched up well with the power curve from a stock cylinder

The Snyder pipe pulls very well on a stock 90 as well and tends to run at slightly higher rpm. This years GNCC 90 limited Champ ran a Snyder with great results.

The Trackside pipe is excellent as well but works better with a ported motor.

We ran a PCS on my sons 70 cc GNCC quad in 2009 and it was a torque beast. But we ran it on a Stage 6 cylinder, not a stock jug.

The latest generation of super pipes which we currently own a couple of (Mach 1 and Malossi's new ATV pipe) run best on cylinders that turn considerably higher rpm than stock cylinders and may not work best.

chunky0071
11-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input will give Justin a call and see about fitment with the stock air box. I know The PCS hp pipe has 2 models one for the air box and one for no air box. Not sure how many Gncc's we will run this year mostly the Mideast which is stock appearing. Again thanks for the input we will see what best fits our needs.

asadad00
11-20-2011, 04:59 PM
your not going to believe our results. we have tried each of these pipes on our 2010 apex ( had to remove airbox to test most pipes) and just for goofs we pulled the Mach-1 off of our 2fast and gave it a try it was blistering fast the Mach-1 pipe was much better than the others even with stock cylinder , don't really know why, but it has huge torque and increased the rpm alot. Oh yea and it bolts right on with airbox in place , no modifications required.

chunky0071
11-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Has any one tryed the MXR pipe. It also fits with the stock air box. Thanks for all the insite.

mmsoup
11-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Asada

You said that the Mach 1 ran a stock cylinder?

That's interesting. Did you get any RPM notes?

We have a 90cc Mach 1 but have only run it on a Malossi BB with a Stage 6 44mm crank (90mm rod) It absolutely rips. It was easily the biggest performance gain we have ever seen.

We tested a Trackside on a stock cylinder year before last and found the Snyder better but I would never have thought that a Mach 1 would drive a Stock cylinder. I guarantee you that news will make Marc @ hotquads a proud parent

chunky0071
11-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by FISH ON!
IMO...... All good pipes but my "other" choice was the Maximum RPM pipe. Justin has done dyno comparisons and can tell you what he found. I'm not sure how much he has compared them in stock form but he can tell you what gain has seen with his pipe on a stock motor.

I can tell you it is very strong our machine......... although it is funky looking.

Oh...... big consideration......... If you are running GNCC limited class, I don't think any of those pipes will fit with a stock reverse intake airbox. Be sure to check that before you buy. Maximum RPM's pipe will work with a reverse intake but you would need his airbox which I don't think is legal for the limited class.

The MXR pipe will fit with the stock air box. The only others that I know will fit is the PCS HP, and possible the GEN II. Want to hear form Justin and Mark to see where I need to head.

hotquads1
11-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I can verify the Mach-1 exhaust does fit the Apex with the airbox , I have not personally run it with a stock cylinder, but the apex cylinder timing is pretty good so i suspect it does work well .
Marc

chunky0071
11-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey Marc I am in north GA if you would like to try it and see how it works could open a new market for ya. Would like to try it and see what would work the best just don't have the money to just try it. Let me know what you think.

chunky0071
11-23-2011, 09:15 AM
I will tell you one thing I would really like to see a Pipe shoot out to see the difference in power and torque on a stock 90. I think it would give every one something to go off of and give every one true options on pipes. Every thing you read of ask now about pipes is just opions there is no hard #'s to go off of. That would be great to see.

hotquads1
11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
a custom specific pipe could be built for the stock cylinder , if there was enough demand which
I doubt there are many racers wanting to stick with a stock cylinder, where in N ga are you running a limited 90 class? and if it is limited and they let you change exhaust then I am sure porting is allowed, that is the answer. Instead of developing a weaker pipe for the stock port time, we can port the cylinder to run with the race pipes, no we be making some progress.

bloodswet&gears
11-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Does anybody have a pic of the stock air box on these? Where is it located? what class would you have to use one in?

I have seen the battery box in the way but not air filter box.

chunky0071
11-24-2011, 07:25 AM
I will see if I can Get a pic up of the stock air baox and location.
Marc we will run a few of the GNCC 11-15 Limited races this year but the Mideast on the other hand is stock appearing. But as of right now I don't want to port the motor just want a good pipe the helps out and will take mods well such as porting or possibly a kit later.
Just was wondering if any of the pipe builders would be willing to do a shoot with a stock 90. Would be interesting to see wich pipes worked well. Of course this would not show the potential of the same pipe on a built 90. But itt could show the potential of the pipe for later builds which in the long run could save us parents some money. Just think of it this way as a builder if your pipe makes good power on a stock 90 , and the buyer was planing on building the bike later then they would know your pipe was a good choice to start moding their quad.

Keep in mind I am not looking for the fastest motor out there we race XC and the motor doesn't win the race the rider does. Out stock 90 has finished ahead of many mod bikes.

Hetrick Racing
11-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Justins pipe will NOT fit with the stock air box can say that for sure.
Dont know much about Marks pipe