PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Sleeve Removal

dxcody
11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
How hard is it to get a sleeve out of a cylinder?

I google'd the question but nothin really came up.

Not for my quad, for my friends.

trailrider894
11-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by dxcody

they have to be pressed out, there is no other way to do it. (atleast that is reasonable).... BUT, you can freeze the sleeve and heat up the cylinder and then put them together, it just shrinks the sleeve and expands the cylinder so its a better fit... BUT i suggest that you have a professional machinist do it all.

01boneless
11-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by dxcody

it is next to impossible without the right machine's

hocman123
11-18-2011, 02:52 PM
its vary easy to do with out a press a friend of mine swapped mine a year ago or so and i watched him do it. he just sat the cylinder down on his table so the sleeve was on the table holding the cylinder in the air. then he just put a ordinary torch to it that u can buy at the home depo and in about 10 min or so the cylinder feel down onto the table and that was it. to put the new one in he proped the cylinder on some wood heated it really good again and dropped the sleeve right in gave it a few taps with a rubber mallet to make sure it was setted good. and that was over a year ago and not a problem yet with his work

01boneless
11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
^^ sounds like a idea but youd think the torch would warp the clyinder :huh

dxcody
11-18-2011, 05:33 PM
i was just curious because when my old cylinder had that helicoil in the headstuds and i had to put my sleeve in a different cylinder my buddy did it for me and he doesnt have any machines, so i thought if it was easy i would just try to do it, but sounds like im gonna have him do it again.

I have heard that if you heat the cylinder enough they do drop right out, but like boneless said i would hate to warp or do any damage to something, since it isnt mine.

So one more thing, i heard CJM talking about regrinding the valves, whats the process of that? Like what do you do?

01boneless
11-18-2011, 06:51 PM
its so the valves reseat when put back in there seats. easy. buy some valve laping compound apply very little to the vale seats and little to the seat of the valve and put them in the seat then out the other side chuch in a power drill and lap the seats when it feals smooth pull the valve and see what it looks like if it needs to be dne again do it again :D thats how i done it on my ex worked great :D

CJM
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
How boneless describes is how to do it. Just use a power drill at a medium type speed and I usually pull on the drill a bit as it spins then release a few times. takes like 10-20 seconds a valve.

I also clean the hell out of the valves with a grinder and wire wheel to make sure they are clean as a whistle.

When your all done spray with copious amounts of brakecleen.

01boneless
11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
as for the top head of the valves if they are carboned up take 80 grit sand paper let the valve head soak it gas and sand mine was all carobned up and black carbon like .006 thick!!! here is after i sanded (yes i know the exhaust valve is in the intake port) lol

dxcody
11-18-2011, 11:08 PM
alright thanks, wheres a good place to buy some compound? Just like autozone?

01boneless
11-18-2011, 11:54 PM
yup^^

dxcody
11-19-2011, 12:04 AM
cool, thank ya Boneless and CJM

:muscle: