PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2012 YFZ the new racers choice?

mirror_racing
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I picked up the latest Dirt Wheels edition and saw the review on the "economy" YFZ. Dumbing down the shocks (rumor has it they are the old raptor left overs) changing the cam to a WR, going with stainless steel valves and ditching the fuel injection only to replace it with a better carb than previous years.

Seems to me this thing is ready to be bought by someone who wants to upgrade from factory but still wants something new! This is def the way to go. There is no need buying the R version to race when you know you are going to just ditch the stock set up and LT the thing... And with the price around the price of a new 400, you cant go wrong...

I think this is def the way to go if your buying new! What do you think?

CJM
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I think its an odd attempt at marketing a cheaper quad for those who dont want to spend a few bucks more on the R. If I was to buy one Id buy an R over the new standard yfz.

Id still rather a honda tho.

btw I still say dirtwheels is biased.

XCRacer236
11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I think you just now figured out what everyone else figured out the day it came out...

Their marketing strategy is, the average trail rider doesn't want to spend the money for an R, and the racer doesn't want to spend all the money for parts they are just gonna swap out anyway. So they put throw-away parts on it to drop the price. HOWEVER, they went about it wrong. They changed too many things to lesser parts, and did not drop the price enough.. but that's my opinion.

People who don't understand their concept, are just dumb Yama-haters and want something to ***** about since Honda is still in the dinosaur age...

I'm just glad I got my 09 carb'd when I did.. :devil:

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
I like what Yamaha tried to do here, but I think it was a complete failure. They stripped everything the YFZ was good for and you're still paying what I paid for my '08 new. The pogo stick shocks are a joke and the Boyesen carb is garbage. You're forced to run an air box with a lid and they're a PITA to tune. I'd pick up a used YFZ before I bought this nonsense. Then again I'd take it over a Honda anyday of the week.

tt racer
11-17-2011, 10:12 PM
I see what Yamaha is tryin to do and i applaud it cause Honda isnt helpin the sport. I should say not even tryin! Yamaha is always helpin support trail systems for us to keep. Do i think its goin to blow up no but atleast their making efforts in the sport quad world unlike Honda.

mirror_racing
11-18-2011, 04:22 AM
Sorry I'm out of the loop but I just heard of this. I love the throwback yfz's as much a I love the R models. They are both a blast tk ride and are much more snappy than the Honda's 450r

400grl
11-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Don't knock it till you ride it....I got to spend a day on one of these in the dunes, and it's a great quad for it's target market - RECREATIONAL riders. It also happens to be a good choice for a racer who doesn't want to buy a used quad (I never buy used - can't trust ANYone these days) who is gonna swap out the suspension over time, anyway.

The shocks aren't pogo shocks - they actually work very well - at least for the abuse we gave them throught the whoops. It's still a YFZ....just with a few less expensive parts on it.

Derrick Adams
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
I love this idea. I think they did a brilliant thing with this quad and I would not be suprised to see a lot of these Yamahas showing up at the races soon.

440racer66
11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
I love this idea. I think they did a brilliant thing with this quad and I would not be suprised to see a lot of these Yamahas showing up at the races soon.

i agree i was just telling a buddy that i wish they would bring back the steel framed yfz. looks like my prayers have been answered. looks like ill be buying a 2012 and swaping out my 06's goodies too it.

quad2xtreme
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
My version of any quad designated as "R" would be:

No a-arms
No steering stem
No bars
No wheels and tires
No swingarm and axle
No shocks
No pegs & heel guards
No bumper

Basically you'd buy a frame, engine, subframe, tank, plastics, spindles, front hubs, brake calipers, and wiring harness.

beastlywarrior
11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Remember they put single piston calipers on it too

mirror_racing
11-18-2011, 08:58 PM
I dont see the single piston calipers stopping any rider from buying this thing. that is a small downfall. I'm just haooy im not the only one who thinks this thing is a great idea

KingpinsEx
11-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm not a big fan of Yamaha, but seems like a good idea, espically since they do not offer a mid level sport quad. Although I always wanted to see them stick the 426 engine in a quad, loved the power of those things. I hope this brings more riders to the sport and will get the other manufactuers thinking out of the box.
New racer's choice though? I don't think so. Cheapening up the parts is an alright idea, but it sticks the rider with having to pay off the retail price of the quad and then add thousands in aftermarket parts. In my opinion the R verzion is the way to go, because you can race them as is and can buy additional parts as your budget allows, not everything all at once. Whether the shocks are decent or not, I think they would be dangerous to ride on a motocross track with.