PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler on 400ex

djwilliams0822
11-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Does anybody have an extra or oversized oil cooler on their ex? I've got a 440ex440ex and it runs hot I was wondering if anyone has an extra oil cooler on theirs. Do you think it would effect the oil pressure or anything.?

Pipeless416
11-17-2011, 10:17 AM
yes, many have either added extra coolers inline with the stock system, and others have added auxilary coolers like the four stroke tech setup. i run an FST cooler and i can tell you that it has made a huge difference. i prefer this setup because it cools the oil straight from the oil pump before it gets to the top end. this is the hottest part of the engine, so it would make sense to have the coolest oil running there.

you can see the line coming out of the top of the clutch cover going to the cooler in between the from frame rails, then back to the top of the head.

01boneless
11-17-2011, 11:15 AM
one member on here had a HUGE bore 400 and had 2 stock coolers 2 spal fans all at the same time. i have a stock ex cooler if you want to start you a project :D lol but id say it would be better to buy a oversize tank and put a spal fan on the stock cooler

djwilliams0822
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Where did you tap into the oil lines when you put the oil cooler in? so the oil is coming from the head of the engine or is it going away from the head?

F-16Guy
11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Normally the oil comes out of the filter housing, up the passage in the side of the cylinder, and into the right side of the rocker cover. With the FST setup, the bottom of the passage to the cylinder is blocked, a fitting is installed in the clutch cover, and the oil is routed through that fitting to the cooler. The cooled oil is then routed to the right side of the rocker cover to feed the cam. It can be a little tricky to drill and tap the clutch cover, but a machine shop could probably do it for pretty cheap. It's a nice setup and allows you to keep the OEM cooler in place.

djwilliams0822
11-17-2011, 12:35 PM
So if I was going to add one and keep the cooler in its place where should I cut the lines?

CJM
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I prefer an oversize oil tank, more oil that means more liquid that at any given time will be cycling thru the system getting cooler. I also run a spal fan.

Even in 100F+ outside with my setup have I ever really needed the fan or larger tank.

It were me Id add an aux cooler mounted to the front frame like many do.

djwilliams0822
11-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Yea I went ahead and put the aux cooler on the front of the frame and I also have a spal fan on the stock one,

Pipeless416
11-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by djwilliams0822
So if I was going to add one and keep the cooler in its place where should I cut the lines?

there is no cutting of any lines with an FST style auxiliary cooler.