PDA

View Full Version : 416 help...

cumby199
11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
so the other day i was riding my 400 and it started smoking and lost power. i took it a part and found all kinds of scratches on the piston and the cylinder wall. i took it to my local machine shop and they said to order like a 86.5mm pistion so im just going to order a 87mm which is a 416. i want to get it back together as soon as i can but i have stock everything. i heard your not suppose to have a 416 with out exhaust and jet kit. thats just what i heard. but for xmas im getting a stage 2 or 3 cam(dont know what one yet) and pipe and jet kit. would it be alright to run the 416 with being stock? or should i wait untill xmas? i need all the advise i can get.
thanks logan

01boneless
11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
wont hurt it one bit to run with a stock pipe

cumby199
11-16-2011, 07:54 PM
thats what i like to hear. now i just have to wait till xmas:( but for xmas i was thinking about a fmf jet kit, a stage 3 hotcam, and a yoshy slip on. would that be a good set up?

Speed37
11-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Motoworks slip on would prob be the chepest new pipe, but dont buy a jet kit. buy individual jets. much cheaper. And a stage 2 cam would help u benifit the most from ur set up.

CJM
11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Make your you jet it, you can get jets from www.jetsrus.com you dont jet it you will burn up the cylinder b/c it will not be getting enough gas. You need between a 165-172 main jet.

You dont want a stage 3 hotcam, too much topend and zilch on the lowend/midrange. You want a stage 2 hotcam or stage 1. Stage 1 for more bottomend and stage 2 for all around.

The basic setup you should do is a 10:1 or 11:1 piston, stage 1 or 2 hotcam, jet and a good slip on. It will rip.

dxcody
11-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Hey buddy, just one tip for when you do get it back together. Hold on tighter!

It makes a WORLD of difference having a beef'd up cam and piston in there.

01boneless
11-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Hey buddy, just one tip for when you do get it back together. Hold on tighter!

It makes a WORLD of difference having a beef'd up cam and piston in there.

well that depends on what compression piston he uses i think he is using stock comp so no diffrence . to the op like cjm said try to get a wiseco 11:1 you will find the power you want with that imho :D

F-16Guy
11-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Think of your engine in terms of being a pump. The pump's total output is limited by it's displacement (416cc), but you can limit it further by physically restricting it's ability to draw in air (poor flowing filter/small carburetor) or exaust air (small headpipe diameter/silencer with restrictive mechanical baffle) or by doing both.

It doesn't do any damage to the engine to limit it's output with a stock filter and exhaust. That's actually what they're intended to do - increase the lifespan of the engine by restricting it's output. The important thing is to make sure it's jetted correctly since the atomized fuel helps keep the combustion chamber temps down. Too lean, and you can melt a piston or do other damage.

If you go with an 11:1 ratio 87mm piston and keep everything else stock, I'd recommend a 42 pilot jet and a 155-158 main jet. Once you get a cam, pipe, and filter, I'd bump the main jet up to about 162-165. I'm running a 42 pilot and 162 main right now and it's very crisp and strong. Buy your jets individually - kits are a rip-off.

cumby199
11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
alright thanks.. would it be okay just to put the 162 jet in now? or would it screw things up? im not planning on riding it alot until xmas. i just want to get the motor broke in before xmas and then add the other stuff. i need as much help as i can. thanks

01boneless
11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
^^ what compression are you going to run?

CJM
11-17-2011, 01:03 PM
The only true way to know what jet you need is based on your elevation and air temps. More dense the air is, the higher above sea level you are-more lean you can go on jetting.

On my 416 I NEVER ran less than a 168 and that imho was a bit lean so I ran a 170 most of the time. However I am VERY close to sea level.

The only way to tell your jetting is spot on is to put a new plug in, let it warm up about 10 mins and take it for a ride maxxing out in something like 3rd or 4th, then hit the kill switch and pull the plug. Tan/brown electrode is good-black is too rich and white is to lean.

Go to the link in my signature to read up on how to jet and read plugs.

cumby199
11-19-2011, 12:32 PM
im going to ride 11:1