PDA

View Full Version : Puppy training/hunting

finsteratv
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Well it looks like we're getting nother little pup. Looking to get a "beagler" which is a beagle/ spaniel mix springer spaniel if i can remember right. He isnt old enough to bring home from the breeder yet but he will be in about 2 weeks. I figured this winter we should be able to teach him some of the basic commands. But once spring and summer roles around we'll most likely be out on our property alot. I enjoy doing a little grouse/rabbit/squire etc small game hunting on the back roads out there and was wondering if anyone has some tips on training? get him use to the sound of guns first? how do i get him to flush stuff etc? basic training tips are appreciated too! thanks everybody! my first dog since we had to put my childhood beagle buddy down in 6th grade :(

crownandmonster
11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Before you even try to get him used to the sound of the gun, get him used to the gun itself. Let him smell it and simply take it on walks through the timber when you go. He has to be used to the presence of the gun. I have no idea how other people do it, but I have a lab and I started out by bringing a friend out and gave him two chunks of 2x4's to smack together and had him stand behind me while I was holding the gun. Moved up and used a .22 rifle and then finally went on to a shotgun. The simple commands (i.e. Sit, stay, heal, come) will pay off immensely in his hunting game, and as far as flushing 80% of it will come natural to him. The biggest thing is keeping your cool and being patient. Everyone has there own way and every dog is different. You will just have to get out there and see what works.

finsteratv
11-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Alright thanks! i'll probably take him with the .22 when we mark tree's for logging and walking through the timber! My mom's a special ed teacher and I've gotten her patience...somehow.. so i can put up with alot from this little ankle biter. thanks for ideas, i'll probably just have him around a .22 and 20 gauge. And if he does mess up hunting it's no biggey, all part of teachin him.

sexysilverado45
11-17-2011, 01:17 AM
First of all congrats on a hound i had a full blood beagle for almost 10 years and currently have a blood hound the beagle was an amazing animal. She had 150 acres to herself and she covered every square inch many of times. I never taught her how to hunt as she was just a family pet but she turned out to be excellent at pointing and she was just naturally a hunter. They can be stubborn though so thats kind of tough to get past. Good luck though and enjoy owning a hound (hopefully it has the beagle bawl its so neat to watch them do it during action)

Pappy
11-17-2011, 03:45 AM
I always started my beagles off by throwing a handfull of food in the grass. They would trail the smell and be rewarded. This also helped me pick out the pups that showed better trailing traits. I would also put pieces of hot dog scattered about when they were a bit older with the food thrown and it didnt take long to find the dogs with exceptional noses.

We also would clap our hands around teh pups alot. Always giving praise when the dogs were excited to see us (feeding time). They would associate the louder noise with chow, any that shy'd away were marked and sold as pets. A BB gun works well at first, stay away from a starter pistol as its louder then a regular 22.

Once the pup is old enough to be out for a few hours, tie a rag on a string and soak it with the scent of your target animal (rabbit, quail, grouse etc) Lay down some drag lines with a treat at the end. Make the drags longer each trip out.

I love working with our dogs, and I miss having beagles for rabbits!

Gauge will bring you anything you shoot!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/PLV6860/992376644_aKNfh-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Gauge/DSC3341/751203170_FYwSR-XL-1.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Gauge/BEA9734/748466799_J6Xng-L-1.jpg

finsteratv
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Those are some awesome pictures pappy!! Our last dog was a pure bread beagle and man he was stubborn haha had alot of heart though, and very smart. We're hoping that with some spaniel in him then temperment might be better. thanks for the advice guys! First thing he flushes or trails down i'll be sure to post up a good Nikon picture. :)