PDA

View Full Version : alright now what.....

steve181
11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
broke a valve and sent it though the piston.... havent looked in the bottom end for the valve yet, and also this is the first time i have ever tore a 4 stroke apart.. but i kinda have an idea of what im doing

cylinder/head are both marked up pretty bad, piston is 89mm so i cant bore it anymore :[

is there any way i could salvage the head since its ported and polished?

and what would be the best way to make sure all the junk is out of the bottom end and whatever

CJM
11-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Sadly splitting the cases would ensure the bottom end is good. If it were me I'd pull the clutch side cover to start with to make sure nothings down in there, then Id pull the topend off and look inside the trans.

As for salvaging the head: If its not to badly damaged it might be ok, if not your SOL.

tripicana
11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
how do you look inside the trans through the top end?
removing clutch cover should give you enough access to bottom end.

CJM
11-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by tripicana
how do you look inside the trans through the top end?
removing clutch cover should give you enough access to bottom end.

Originally posted by CJM
... Id pull the topend off and look inside the trans.

You need to read before you post. if you remove the entire topend (which he has already done) you can clearly see inside most of the trans.

Baileygunns
11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
^^^You can? Hmmm... weird..

You might be able to see a little if the crank is in the right position. You're not going to see most of the tranny from just taking the top end off..

01boneless
11-16-2011, 03:29 PM
id be safe and split the cases becuase more thn likely there is junk fell down there

CJM
11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
^^^You can? Hmmm... weird..

You might be able to see a little if the crank is in the right position. You're not going to see most of the tranny from just taking the top end off..

sure lol.

You can see alot if you move the crank around and use a small mirror. I wouldnt want to crack the cases just cause and find nothing.

Baileygunns
11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
You need to read before you post... THERE'S A VALVE IN THE BOTTOM END, lol

powerbomb400
11-16-2011, 05:59 PM
I know when the wife dropped a cable and it blowed a hole in the piston there was a bunch of crap in the bottom. We had to split the cases to get it all out. If I had to spend money to build the top end I would do it for insurance.