PDA

View Full Version : Build ur own silencer

Higgy87TRX425
11-15-2011, 05:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260887756561&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNAFP%3AMOTORS%3A1123
So what do you guys think I've been toying with the idea of buying some Carbon Fiber like this. Then gutting an old silencer and seeing what I can put together. I'm sure that I'll need a little help welding the end caps together, but I think the end result would be a trick silencer. I could also go with a larger tubing like this 3.5" inch to make the bike quieter!! Thanks Higgy!

troybilt
11-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Great minds think alike, I'm one step ahead of ya, been working on one myself, with billet end caps... :D

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/silencer_asm_02.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/silencer_asm_01.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/silencer_asm_03.jpg

Higgy87TRX425
11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Now, thats what I'm talking about, lol! I've been looking for a carbonfiber silencer like I used to buy for my dirtbikes, but they're just not around anymore!! So the only option is to build it!! We gotta keep these trick parts available. Even if we have to build them are selves. I'm sure that this isn't the only tubing manufacturer out there that sells remanient pieces cheap! Or maybe Jay at Fourwerx could hook something up?? I like ur design! Let me know how things are commin along? Thanks Higgy!

mx Eli
11-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Correct me if im wrong but you can get carbon fiber cans for some 450's. you could look at how those are made/ put together

400exrip
11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
Correct me if im wrong but you can get carbon fiber cans for some 450's. you could look at how those are made/ put together

Yeah, White Brothers makes that carbon Pro pipe for the 450R it has the carbon fiber canister tube

trx250racer
11-15-2011, 06:52 PM
i have been looking into this for a while now and the best i came up with was this 3" tubing to slip over my esr 2.75 silencer. but i would have to come up with some rings to fill in the gap on the ends. also the bracket to mount it would be tricky. would need something like what esr uses on there 4-stroke pipes.

http://dragonplate.com/ecart/product.asp?pID=3872&cID=79

i have a 4" tube that i bought a couple of years ago. thinking i could make it work, but it is way too big. doesnt look right. it will work with an esr 4-stroke pipe. the use 4" canisters.

Higgy87TRX425
11-15-2011, 08:12 PM
MX Eli: Yeah I know that there's quite a few companies that make Carbon fiber 4 poker silencers, I was talking about the companies that used to make Carbon fiber 2 stroke silencers. I know Ascerbies used to make one and then I had another one on my Cr 125 of an unknown manufacturer. I can't seem to find any Carbon fiber 2-stroke silencers.

trx250racer: I think you'ew got a pretty easy way of making it making it happen. I was thinking along those lines at first as well. It would be easier to make one this way, but not as trick. You're basically just slidding a tube of carbon fiber over an existing product cool, but not exactly what I'm after. I think that the carbon fiber tube by itself without the aluminum canister would be quieter in the long run and it wouldn't be too hard either. I kinda wanna do the same thing just eliminate the aluminum canister and replace it with carbon fiber tube and I could still use and existing silencer core if it's long enough and then make my own end caps keeping with the 1.250 connecting tube, making it the bigbore pipe I need! I'm gonna call Lew Jr. after I find the Carbon fiber tubing and then try and make this a reality. He's beeen talkng about maybe producing these for the 250r as well as the Banshee. So with a little time I'll have one on all of my 2 strokes, lol. I think that I'm gonna start with the LOBO. My only problem is that I want Blue Weave for the LOBO and Red weave for the LRD bike so that makes it a little harder. Stay posted though.. Thanks Higgy!

Pro1200
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Yea I was thinking of this idea myself. I contacted Jay form Fourwerx awhile back and he just needed the the measurements from my LRD pipe and he would do it. I think I might just send him my silencer and let him copy it, I meant to do that but I'm still riding my R at tracks. One with a billet tip would be amazing though. :) This would be a perfect trick part.

pdxbigfoot
11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I have done it before on Lucy.
The tube I used was a oval red weave I happened upon.
Let's meet after the 20th Keith and get our heads together.

Its not as hard as one might think.

Higgy87TRX425
11-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
I have done it before on Lucy.
The tube I used was a oval red weave I happened upon.
Let's meet after the 20th Keith and get our heads together.

Its not as hard as one might think.

You got it Jason, you know I've really been wanting to do this. So I'm gonna locate some more Carbon fiber 3" tube in the different color weaves in the meanwhile! So ur on. lets make it happen buddy!
Thanks Higgy!

rayman375
11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
The only problem I see with the carbon silencer is damge. My fmf and pt silencers are both dented underneath I guess from hitting the axle lock nut. a carbon silencer would just crack and leak instead of denting in.

destey
11-18-2011, 05:23 AM
Does any mfg sell parts of the muffler, or are they all just whole mufflers? I checked a few models and i only saw complete assemblies. This would save us from fabricating parts.

ballzdeep38
11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
This seems like a really cool project. Dave Moore Racing has been doing something like this for a little while now. They call it The Legalizer. A DIY type project seems like something that might catch on a little more though. If i remember right they sell Billet Aluminum end caps on Ebay for 4 stroke exhausts that have a spark arrestor in it. I would really like to see the spark arrestor incorporated into it making it legal in the dunes here in California with out having my good buddy Sparky hanging off the back. Lets keep this idea updated...

Higgy87TRX425
11-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, we're gonna take the measurements this weekend. Then see about getting some material ordered. We're gonna make this happen, I already have the design in mind, its just gonna take a bit to complete the first prototype. Its in the works though. That spark arrester is a good idea though. I'd like to have 2 versions 1 with and 1 without! Basicaslly my design consists of Chrome & Carbon fiber!! Awe Yeah!!
Thanks Higgy!

ballzdeep38
11-18-2011, 02:51 PM
That is the color comobo i had in mind as well. Is there much of a performance or sound difference between a having a spark arrestor or not?

sand_blaster
11-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm diffently down for one with a spark arrester. I would hope it lowers db's as well.

D3RACING
11-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm subscribing to this one guys. Will be waiting for the finished product. I'm in for 1 or 2.

Pro1200
11-19-2011, 03:49 PM
yea i'm def down for one :)

pantera1975
12-11-2011, 02:34 PM
http://www.aaenperformance.com/snow_exhaust.asp

Here is a link for parts. I'm gona play around with a 5" can prob 17" long for my 86 ATC with a 330 in it. Here in Wisconsin we got strict noise test.

Higgy87TRX425
12-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input. This is gonna be a sweet project. I've been shopping around for the different color weaves in the Carbon fiber, and its kinda hard to find what I'm looking for so I'll go ahead and throw it out there. Yes I could use HELP!!! I'm looking for Red and Blue Weave Carbon fiber tubing. 3" around and 16" long". The 3" around is the main thing. I can always cut it to length if it's too long. We took measurements, so thats what I'm looking for. I don't think that the perforaited inner tubing is gonna be to hard to locate and I think I might already have it located. I bought a piece of regular black carbonfiber tubing and I was gonna start with it. Its not the length that I'm looking for so it would just be a prototype for now. I just have to remember where the hell I put it??? Its somewhere between my garage and my house (2 different locations)???? So anyway let me know if you guys locate any carbon fiber tubing for this project?? Some of the manufactures that I've found are way too expensive!!!!
Thanks Higgy