PDA

View Full Version : Building A Race Quad On A Budget

luigi
11-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi. I'm looking to build a somewhat race ready 450r. As of now i have a 2004 450r that is mostly stock. I have done mods to the engine including a hot cam, pipe, and a few other things so im not really wanting to put any other money into the motor. What I'm wondering is what are the most essential parts needed to start racing. I would be racing local mx, the worcs series, and the vorra series. Vorra is short course racing. I was thinking of starting off with champion in a box dwt xc wheels, and going from there, but before i made my first purchase i wanted to get other peoples opinions. Here is a pic of my quad.

luigi
11-14-2011, 09:33 PM
i couldnt get the pic to work

01boneless
11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
pics not workin :confused:

motofreak2772
11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Wheels tires and suspension. I know you said budget, but how big? There are a lot of cheap routes to go with suspension. You could go with some revalves and a link then save up for some serious suspension if you decide you want it in the future. Or you could go with some used stuff, or just some cheap brand stuff off ebay. It all comes down to what you want to do though.
Champion in a box is an awesome deal, I think you should definitely go with that.

luigi
11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
My budget right now is $600. so im looking to get the most important parts first

Kovatch
11-15-2011, 08:05 AM
DWT's Champion in a box is a nice, but you can find many people parting out their MX & XC quads for cheap. Pick up a set of 85-90% tread tires with a set of rear beadlocks. I would think you could snag them for $300 or so. When I started racing, I just bought rear tires b/c that's all I could afford. When I had the $$ I bought used fronts and went from there.

IMO, upgraded a-arms & shocks give you so much more than any other mod. Will a $300 set of nerf bars let you rip whoops faster... NOPE.

I did my upgrades slow & bought a +2 front end with ST shocks. Worst idea ever. Just save up & get a good LT set up when you have the $$$. It will be worth the money to get LT over ST or re-valved stock stuff.

Do it right, do it once.

chronicsmoke
11-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
I did my upgrades slow & bought a +2 front end with ST shocks. Worst idea ever. Just save up & get a good LT set up when you have the $$$. It will be worth the money to get LT over ST or re-valved stock stuff.

Do it right, do it once.

X2!! I was told the same thing, but I bought a ST setup last year thinking it was going to last me. I already sold it for an LT front end, less than 12 months later..

Save a bit longer, for the extra couple hundred, it's well worth it.

finsteratv
11-15-2011, 06:03 PM
if your front tires are decent then you should start with rear tires along with a front end set up.

quadfmx
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
tons of people parting out to build quad for next year either sell ur quad and buy one built somewhat that u could buy buy nrever build for or check hete n other forums for used parts
id say suspension first
id sat gtt revsalves or desrise or jet suspension

Sick0
11-19-2011, 06:51 AM
I bought a new KTM 505sx for 7600 and left it alone. By far my cheapest quad.

brewster426
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Just save your money and buy suspension front and rear. I don't know if I would buy a long travel rear suspension set up if I was on a budget. I have a buddy with st axis rear shock with stock linkage and it works pretty good. I bought some +2 arms and have been running stock shocks. Worst idea I have ever had. You can find a good deal on used long travel front suspension setup. I wish I would have just spent the money.