PDA

View Full Version : please help: motor issues on a new 400

400exHondaRider
11-13-2011, 06:05 PM
my friend just bought this 2000 400ex for 1100 bucks, went to the guys house ran it around yard for 5 minutes and it ran fine according to him. He gets it home puts it in his garage and goes up to his tree stand, gets dark so he decides to take it for a spin for a few minutes, hes coming home from a trip up the road and its just shuts off? Now when he starts it up it has very bad ticking sound, and barely revs. He called the guy back and was like hey can i get my money back, there is not a bill of sale or anything to go with just the fourwheeler and the cash transfer, and the guys just hangs up on him. So im trying to post a link so if you motor gurus could tell me what you think is wrong that would be great.

01boneless
11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
have to get some more details . ticking is probley valves or timming chain booth tick in the 400 chain would need to be replaced valves just need to be addjusted (more than likly he prob). as for the barley reving my quad would start run and idel fine but barley rev. if his is doing the same (idel fine) then the needle jet may have fallen loose like mine did just some things to check :D

CJM
11-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Sounds like poorly adjusted valves, possible timing chain issue as well.

400exHondaRider
11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
heres the video of what its doing. and it wont idle at all it shuts down if you dont give it gas, and even when you do it almost shuts off. the ticking also seems like its coming from the bottom end.

heres a link, its more of a knocking sound than a ticking also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9bCL663g8g

CJM
11-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Yea thats an engine knock if I ever heard one. It still check the valves and such to be sure, but honestly it doesnt sound very good at all. Kinda like the pistons slapping around in there. id check compression to be sure as well. Good comp is 120psi.

400exHondaRider
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
ok, i texted him and i think hes going to check the compression right now. But i thought about the piston but what would cause it to do that, he only rode it for five minutes when he got it home he said and it wasnt like all out throttle just a nice ride around his house.

01boneless
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
DANG bro i hate to say it but that sounds REALY bad :eek2: sounds like a rod knock more than a tick i say its time to tear the topend apart jmho

400exHondaRider
11-13-2011, 06:56 PM
oh we are definetely tearing it down, his dad went with him to pick it up, and when he went to tell him what happend he pretty much said well thats your own effin fault, and wont help him at all, im probably going to end up rebuilding it for free of charge except for parts cost because hes a good friend of mine.

CJM
11-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Lack of oil, worn cylinder sleeve, ppr jetting which made it run lean (hot) and cooked the topend.

400exHondaRider
11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
oh, well the engine looked really dirty and looked like it hadnt been maintained very well, before the guy hung up on us we asked if any motor work had been done and he said ya "the shop" worked on it, ok well whats the name of "the shop", umm it was a local shop ugh idk click.

Andrew170-440ex
11-14-2011, 07:22 AM
check the oil.probably vavles need adjusted. or like they said cam chain timing..umm worst come to worst you might have a messed up piston.the piston might be too big.sized wrong. what happened to mine is the guy who rebuilt mine sized the piston wrong and after a couple minutes of riding when the piston got hot it would shut off.

cutty2fast
11-14-2011, 11:23 AM
does it have oil in it??