PDA

View Full Version : Just Put it back together and wont START

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 12:48 AM
I got my jug back thursday, put my sparks clutch kit, 416 11:1 piston, and stage 2 cam in, torqued the head studs down, put the cam in place, tdc all lobes down and suprisingly got the cam sproket marks lined up first try, cranked it around a few times, marks still lined, put the head and cover on, all said and done, intake valves at .127 (.05 in) and exhaust at .148 (.06 in) and it turns over quick and good, no backfire at all, but it just wont kick up and go. brand new plug, all connections good. What is going on here? It did this a-when i piped it and b-last time i adjusted the valves. but both times it fired up eventually

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 12:52 AM
.127 is as close to the .13mm spec for the cam and .147 is as close to the .15mm exhaust spec

dxcody
11-13-2011, 01:43 AM
is it getting spark?

I know you said you changed the plug but it doesnt matter if it isnt getting spark.

Have you tried push starting it?

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 03:31 AM
I dont believe it is. it could only be the plug being a dud because it ran when i warmed it up to drain the oil thursday. since i changed the plug there has been no spark lol

CJM
11-13-2011, 06:04 AM
You changed your jetting right? Min should be about 168 main and 42 pilot and 2.5 turns out air/fuel screw.

If your using the stock cam the decomp mech must be used.

wildwheels22
11-13-2011, 07:39 AM
are you valves adjusted correctly? Also, not to be funny, but is your fuel on? Try heating up the plug with a torch to warm it up, reinstall and try starting it up. stock carb ? or FCR carb? try spraying a little starting fluid in the carb and see if it'll crank over. Keep us posted what you find.

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 09:00 AM
I checked the valves, lash is close to perfect, i can tell its getting fuel because with the plug out you can smell the gas when it blow out the plug hole, i almost drained my battery trying to start it and the plug is a perfect stainless steel, doesnt even look like it sparked once. im getting a diff plug and putting some dieelectric grease on the threaded part in the plug boot. and i was up until 5 am checking aall the connections. started right up until i put the new plug in

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 09:01 AM
And it has a brand new stage 2 hot cam. and yes i took the plunger and spring out. and stock carb, 2.5 turns out. If it was sparking id assume there would be some indication on the plug by now

wildwheels22
11-13-2011, 09:13 AM
you need to get that battery on a charger so you dont drain and you have enough cold cranking power. Next, to check spark.
You have to take the plug out of the plug hole and put the spark plug wire on the plug and hold the plug about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the engine. ( usually better to have 2 people, but necessary) now start cranking the motor and look for spark jumping from the plug over to the motor.
If you have trouble about what saying im sure there is youtube vidoes of people showing you how to check for spark also. just don't put your fingers inbetween or you'll get a little shock.

DnB_racing
11-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by xX-Clutch-Xx
im getting a diff plug and putting some dieelectric grease on the threaded part in the plug boot. and i was up until 5 am checking aall the connections. started right up until i put the new plug in dielectric grease is an insulator and doesnt conduct electricity,

dont put it on the parts meant to make a connection, only use on the boot to keep water and dirt out and to keep stray voltage from tracking to ground

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 10:56 AM
alright. i think its the plug wire now. i got mad and pulled the wire from the boot so i think im going to have to replace the coil, wire, and boot

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 01:26 PM
To test it i butchered the coil wire and it runs great lol. i have a new coil and wired/boot coming. It is a lot leaner than it was (cam?) so 165 sounds close. maybe 170. the head makes a different pitch noise though. more of a clicking sound (cam again?) but it pulls harder than ever and i also have a hd cam chain coming too. maybe new cam chain tensioner. no leaking aside from the oil that came out when i took it apart (too lazy to clean lol) At least she screams lol. Break in scheduled this week

wildwheels22
11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
well glad to hear you found the problem! sucks you have to spend more money, but at least you didnt have to take the bike in. The 400's always been known for their noisy ticking valves. The cam has nothing to do with making the bike running rich or lean.. Thats up in the carb settings. What makes you think its running lean? Hard to tell until you get the bike running and take it for 1st to-5th gear run, shut it down and pull the plug and look for the color of the plug.

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
For being 16 and 3 weeks old im pretty mechanically inclined lol but itt putters a whole lot and its running hotter than the other built 416s ive ridden. i only have a 150 main and 42 pilot but i made some more intake mods while waiting for parts

CJM
11-13-2011, 06:49 PM
150 is WAY to lean in most cases. id put a 170 in there and see what a new plug looks like.

xX-Clutch-Xx
11-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Thats the plan lol. Once i get the kinks worked out and it tuned it should rip lol