PDA

View Full Version : Treadwright tires?

ProspectorJim
11-12-2011, 04:00 PM
So Just got a new to me truck for $1000 because it had a bad fuel pump. its a 2000 silverado ext cab 2wd 5.3L w/ 166k miles. I was lookin for winter tires for it and came across treadwright tires. They're retreads, but through dozens of reviews I haven't seen any negative feedback from anyone whose bought them. Now im thinkin I might get a set of their 265/75/16r guard dog m/t's instead of the winter tires. They're only 110 a piece compared to the 135 a piece 245/75/16r firestone winter tires I was gonna get. Anyone have experience with these?
https://www.treadwright.com/p-62-265-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

mineralgrey01gt
11-12-2011, 10:46 PM
never heard of the tires but damn man thats a serious steal on that truck

CJM
11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice steal!

Few of my offroadin buddies run them, they have no issues.

See if you can ask them for the goodyear MTR carcass when you order them, its a 3 ply with kevlar.

Exrider434
11-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Why run a re tread for only $40 less than a real tire? I've seen a couple people blow the re treads right off before and it is not pretty. While they seem like a cheap alternative personally I'd go with the firestones.

Tommy Warren
11-14-2011, 04:58 PM
see those big chunks of rubber on the side of the highway? those are retreads. you can't legally retread front tires on semi trucks thats why you never see them on the road....just the rear tires....coincidence?

CJM
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I think you guys are a bit off base, the ones you see on the side of the highways are CHEAP retreads and the reason they come off trailers is b/c they wouldnt change a tire unless they had to.

Plenty of my offroad friends have used treadwrights with no issues at all.

chucked
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
isnt that truck 2wd?

ProspectorJim
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by chucked
isnt that truck 2wd?

yea, why?

chucked
11-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
yea, why?

Why do you think? You know why I asked.

ProspectorJim
11-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by chucked
Why do you think? You know why I asked.

I'm assuming its because you're of the thinking that if its not 4wd its nothing. With a locker in the rear this 2wd will go more places than most stock 4wd systems will take you.

Honestly, all i'm doin to this truck is leveling it and throwing some decent size tires on it and maybe a locker in the rear. I'm not tryin to make a brodozer out of the thing. After alot of research, I'm goin with the treadwrights. Haven't been able to find one instance of a blow out.

fastredrider44
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
I'm assuming its because you're of the thinking that if its not 4wd its nothing. With a locker in the rear this 2wd will go more places than most stock 4wd systems will take you.

Lol. I dunno bout that. What you're going to need is weight in the rear or locker or no locker, you're not going anywhere.

ProspectorJim
11-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Lol. I dunno bout that. What you're going to need is weight in the rear or locker or no locker, you're not going anywhere.

Well the weight goes without sayin hahah Honestly where I live you don't really need 4wd. I barely ever had to take my rusty 96 silverado 5spd out of 2wd when I was drivin it even in the snow.

I'll admit, I'm mostly just tryin to change the look of the truck and if I can do that on the cheap while getting added traction, I'd say its a good choice.