PDA

View Full Version : Please check this! MI trail Issue

honda400ex2003
11-12-2011, 08:25 AM
All,
Please take a minute and respond to MI DNR and pass on if possible. Thanks, Steve

Before they come to your State or if you are from Michigan Please Read! and send this email to the mentioned email address.

Information on Problem:
http://www.dootalk.c...howtopic=439507

What is happening is a guy is trying to close the National forest trails in MI.
His Website - http://huron-manistee.webs.com/

His Issue: Please Help Make SOME Parts of the National-Forests Quiet Places I've spent thousands of hours over the last decade trying to convince the Forest Service to create a place on the Huron-Manistee National Forests where people can enjoy quiet activities free from the noise of snowmobiles and guns. Despite my efforts, the 2006 Forest Plan for the Huron-Manistee National Forests gave snowmobilers and firearm hunters virtually unrestricted access to the entire Huron-Manistee National Forests -- even in and around areas designated as Wilderness and Semiprimitive Nonmotorized. After years of litigation, I was able to get the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals to order the Forest Service to comply with the applicable laws and regulations.http://www.ca6.uscou...0a0318p-06.pdf.

From MSA e-mail today... just cut/paste-fill out and e-mail

Send the email to:
comments-eastern-huron-manistee@fs.fed.us

Or fax to: 231-755-5551

Just copy and paste this in a email. Just add your name and email at the bottom.

Lee Evison, Forest Planner
Huron-Manistee National Forest
1755 S. Mitchell Street
Cadillac, MI 49601

Dear Planning Team:

I am writing about the Huron-Manistee National Forests SEIS that is considering banning snowmobile use and firearm hunting in Semi-Primitive Non-Motorized Areas on the Forests. Snowmobiling and firearm hunting opportunities in these areas are important and should not be eliminated. As you prepare the SEIS, please consider the following:
• Snowmobiling is an appropriate recreational use in the semi-primitive areas of the Forests since there are few other activities during winter. Firearm hunting is also appropriate in these areas.
• The snowmobile trails that are located on these two National Forests provide important opportunities for Lower Michigan residents and out-of-state snowmobile visitors. They should all remain intact.
• Snowmobiles are only operated on roads that are in or adjacent to 7 of the Forests' 13 semi-primitive non-motorized areas. This use is important since it provides important trail links to communities and other riding areas. There is no snowmobile use in 6 other semi-primitive areas, which shows that decisions to allow snowmobiles were not across the board or arbitrary.
• Snowmobile trails are inter-connective and heavily dependent upon partnerships between federal, state and private landowners. Extensive coordination and planning has gone into these inter-connective trail systems which are closely coordinated between multiple sponsors and partnerships.
• There is no duplication of efforts in providing snowmobile trails in Michigan since snowmobile trails are long-distance, inter-connective systems as compared to cross-country ski trails which are isolated pods or small loops close to parking areas.
• Michigan has, by far, the largest number of registered snowmobiles in the United States. Yet on a per capita/registered snowmobiler basis, it has the fewest miles of snowmobile trails - almost 5 times less than comparable states or the national average. All designated snowmobile trails on these Forests are critical to meeting the high demand for snowmobile trails in Michigan. We need more not less.
• The 3,000 miles of unplowed roads in the Forests should remain open to snowmobiles since they provide extremely important snowmobiling opportunities that help take pressure off designated trails and provide a different, ungroomed riding experience.
• The areas being debated in this process do not meet the definition of 'semi-primitive.' Semi-primitive areas are supposed to be at least 2,500 acres in size - yet 4 of the 13 are smaller. They are also supposed to be remote and be at least a ½ mile from roads. All of these areas have roads as their boundaries or have multiple roads within them. These semi-primitive areas should be changed to Roaded or Rural management areas, or else have Roaded Corridors established ½ mile in each direction from all road corridors that are along or within these semi-primitive areas.
• Some roads being considered for closure are county roads where the Forests have no jurisdiction.
• National Forests are to be enjoyed for multiple recreation uses, so be very cautious about excluding public use based upon subjective positions or bias of a few toward other legitimate recreation use.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment. Please add me to your mailing list as you proceed with this SEIS planning process.

___________________________________ ________________________________
Printed Name Signature

Mailing Address City State Zip Code

E-Mail:

buck440
11-12-2011, 09:37 AM
wouldn't that be kinda impersonal and kinda like spam sending the same letter over and over and over?

honda400ex2003
11-12-2011, 07:07 PM
it is more of a petition than a personal email to state the facts. they have to say the proper things or it doesnt do any good.

steve

Pipeless416
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
out of state, but sent anyway.

honda400ex2003
11-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks man! Im out of state too, just passing it on to get the word out.

steve

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 09:55 PM
bump

steve

ATV Chic
11-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Done

--Eva

derekhonda
11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I did it as well, but I really don't think that letter is that well written.

All you talk about it basically, "you should keep the trails open because there isn't anything else to do in the winter and we need your trails to jump from other trails to other trails."

To me, that is not the point you should be driving.

The point, (and you did hint on it 'slightly') is that it is an activity that can bring money to michigan with very little to no impact on the natural habitat. Talk about how people in indiana (me) know lots of other people from indiana that take their sleds up to michigan for 4 day weekends, buying food, gas, hotel stays, etc just to enjoy the peace and serenity that michigan snowmobile trails offer.

Talk about how snowmobiles help drive the economy and provide crucial jobs to michiganders, something that is desperately needed right now.

etc etc

honda400ex2003
11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks for passing it on, I didnt write the email, just passed it on from another source that i read it from first.

steve