PDA

View Full Version : Cool head copper washers

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 06:28 PM
So I've got a Cool Head with a cylinder cut for O-rings. This means I need copper washers on the head bolts to seal them properly.

Problem is, I can't find the "perfect" copper washer. The head studs are 8mm (0.315"), and the head nuts have an OD of about 17mm (0.675") I can find washers that are an ideal fit over the stud, but then the O.D. is too small, 12mm vs the 17mm I'm looking for (0.475" vs 0.675"). They're not even as wide as the head nuts, that would just look silly, and I'm not sure how well they would hold torque over time with such a size mismatch.

Or, I can find something with the O.D. I'm looking for, but then the I.D. is way too big, like 12mm. That's not the end of the world, but now I would actually have to hold them and center them to tighten the head nuts.

When I got this motor, it had a Cool Head on it, and it had really good washers, but I can't seem to FIND those washers. I've checked several manufacturing supply companies like McMaster, Grainger, and even companies that specialize in nuts, bolts, and washers like Fastenal. I can't seem to find the perfect washer.

Anybody else using copper washers? What size are you using?

I was actually able to find a washer with a decent inner diameter, but the outer was so big it wouldn't even fit in place. I thought about buying a few of those and making a spindle to put them on a lathe and cut them down to size.

dabeechman
11-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Fairly easy to find these. The washers are about a buck a piece. Worst case I could send you some in an envelope.

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Where do you find them?

Do you have actual specs on them, like Inner Diameter, Outer Diameter, and thickness?

Or better yet, give me a supplier and a part number!

dabeechman
11-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Just my local hardware store. I don't have one in front of me to measure though, but I've never had an issue.

Actually...come to think of it. I have a complete ESR head nut/washer combo bag at my shop if you want it.

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm interested in the head nut and washer combo.

I found copper washers at my local hardware store, but like I said, they had a HUGE inner diameter compared to what I need. I'd like to be a little tighter.

dabeechman
11-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Lol, and I going to have to raid my hardware store to dispense these things?

They are just 8mm copper washers...haha with an OD roughly equivalent to a flanged acorn nut.

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 08:47 PM
This is the problem I'm finding. The one I have drawn in place is what I need, but the others are the only ones I can find.

#1 has an OD smaller than the nut, I don't like it.

#2 has the OD that I need, but the ID is so big that I have to be really careful to hold it in place and center it when I torque the nut down.

#3 has the ID that I like, but it's too big to even fit in place. Like I said, I was thinking about making a tool to stack them and put them on a lathe and cut them down to size.

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by dabeechman
Lol, and I going to have to raid my hardware store to dispense these things?

They are just 8mm copper washers...haha with an OD roughly equivalent to a flanged acorn nut.

Oh, absolutely you're raiding your local hardware store! I'll pay you to send me six of them, and then give me the name, address, and phone number of your local hardware store so I can contact them and find out who supplies these copper washers for them.

dabeechman
11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
If you want to spin them on the lathe, just put the fender washers (the large OD washer) on an 8mm bolt and cinch it down with a nut on the backside. That is another option.

I've NEVER done anything like that before...haha (I too have a machine shop).

DoonRider
11-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Have you tried McMaster Carr?
They have alot of options.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-flat-washers/=ew97pg

close- part #98044A228

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 09:11 PM
That was about the plan, but I was going to get fancy with it. I was actually going to make something to stack several of them, center them all properly, and turn them all together at once.

However, if your local hardware store has what I need, then you can save me all that trouble. Because I don't have my own machine shop, I gotta go talk to buddies and pull favors. I'd really rather not go through all the inconvenience if I don't have to.

TLR-Online
11-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Here is the honda part #: 90442-028-000

I used these on my cool head, they are thick and exactly what your looking for.

dabeechman
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Wilks, you shouldn't just do one at a time because you take the risk of folding one up because they are so soft.

You would definitely take a crack at 10 or so at a time. One for timeliness, but the main reason is to provide stability for the entire washer stack.

I'll let you know. I'll even ask if I can buy a box (if that's what you'd prefer)

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not 100% sure about a box, it depends on how many are in a box. I certainly don't want a box of 100 washers at 95 cents a piece.

wilkin250r
11-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
Here is the honda part #: 90442-028-000

I used these on my cool head, they are thick and exactly what your looking for.

Wow. Those things are almost 0.100" thick. But I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm gonna order a set, and compare them to what I get from dabeechman.