PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex handle bar cover

12-06-2001, 06:20 PM
I hat the cover that goes over the handle bars on the 300ex. If i take it off i don't know what to do with the ignition switch. I need to know where i can put it and how can i make it look good.
adam

redrider ex
12-06-2001, 07:42 PM
you can drill a hole in the side of the front fenders below your handle bars and mount it here or you could buy a handlebar
dogbone clamp that has a spot on it for the key switch a new one is about $40 bucks or you can cheack out the classified section
and look at my tread called polished alumminum i make alumminum parts and i'll make you one for $20 bucks
redrider ex

12-07-2001, 03:45 PM
i took my plastic thingy off, and bought a 40cent clamp from
home-depot
i clamped it on my handlebars
...looks fine

"BLAHH"300!!
12-08-2001, 02:59 PM
GET A - 1 INCH PADDLE DRILL BIT
DRILL A HOLE THROUGH YOUR FRONT PLASTIC
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENUGH ROOM BEHIND THE PLASTIC
FOR YOUR SWITCH DON'T DRILL THROUGH YOUR GAS TANK- DUHH
I DID MINE LOOKS LIKE IT BELONGS THERE-
HERE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT-
PUT IT ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE SO WHEN YOU GET READY TO PARK AND CUT IT OFF AND YOUR STILL IN GEAR- YOU CAN HOLD IN YOUR CLUTCH AND USE YOUR OTHER HAND TO TURN THE KEY -
I DIDN'T DO THIS AND WISH I WOULD HAVE-
I ALSO GOT A PIECE OF SHEET METAL I GOT A FREIND THAT MAKES ABOUT ANYTHING OUT OF THE STUFF AND MADE A LITTLE
PIECE THE BOLTS DOWN WITH THE SCREWS FOR THE OLD PLASTIC- SHEET METAL BOLTS THERE GOT ALL THE CORNERS ROUNDED OFF - GOT A NICE BEND TO IT- LOOKS GOOD AND IT WAS FREE

4punksdad
12-08-2001, 06:51 PM
someone posted a pic on here one time of a 250X handle bar plastic, fitted to a 300ex. the key switch was in the center of the bars if I remember correctly. anyone have a link to that picture?

yellowrider
12-08-2001, 10:35 PM
hey notice if you do take your plastic off your ex handle bars there is a black wire that you acn start your 300 ex without the key that is really easy to get to when you take off the plastic. only thing they have to do is get that wire and unhook it then hook it back upside down the reason why i knokw this is beacue my friend lots his key for a while. and he did it on mine to be a little ***.

quadfamily
12-14-2001, 05:24 PM
Yup, like 3punksdad said, 87 250X plastic will go right on and match up with your stock headlight plastic. The only problem is if your headlight plastic is black because the 250X cover is red. Then you could either get red headlight plastic or paint the handlebar cover plastic black. This part puts the keyswitch in a nice spot and also covers the handlebar head clamps. I did it on my 300EX and it's great. I don't have any pictures of it though.

"BLAHH"300!!
12-18-2001, 02:22 AM
i wrecked mine again a little while back and my bar plastic was all mangled up- it was flappin in the wind on the way home-
i just took it off i thought it would look bad but it looks pretty good without it- went at the dirt and stuff - cleaned it all up
relocated my key switch and walaa-

then called a freind of mine about the sheet meatal and it looks good to me - just take it off

looks worse with it on than with it off