PDA

View Full Version : flywheel/stator removal, is there another way??

Thumpin440ex
11-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I just ordered a new starter clutch for the bike. Now that it is on the way I fig I would get a jump start on it, get it ready.. As soon as I pull the cover I see the bolt, take it out and to my attention notice that I am prob going to need a fly wheel puller.. I do not have one for this bike.. Can I cheat and use a 3 jaw puller or are they on there good enough to bend the stator/fly wheel?? I am not one into half az5ing things buuuuut if it will come off and not bend I have no prob using that puller.. Any other way besides getting a metric bolt the same size??

Thanks John

CJM
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I think the puller COULD work, but Id much rather use the proper bolt. I know you can get one on ebay and various other places for 10 bucks or less.

01boneless
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
not to hijack but once you do get the puller how would you hold the flywheel from moving to loosen it up?

Thumpin440ex
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
You are supposed to use a holding tool, but a strap wrench and a extra set of hands will do the deed.

CJM
Yah I don't need to be bending the thing up.. I just wanted to get it off. My buddie works at petes so he is gona snag me one tom unless I make it to A&A bolt and get a big metric bolt to use.. That is basically all the puller is..

John

CJM
11-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Pretty much same principle Thumpin.

wildwheels22
11-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I just used a rag to hold the clutch basket and electric impact for me.. And off it comes. I do have hands like a monkey so becareful using my method.

wildwheels22
11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
I just used a rag to hold the clutch basket and electric impact for me.. And off it comes. I do have hands like a monkey so becareful using my method.

CJM
11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
^ That does work. But were talking about the flywheel-the other side of the engine.

tripicana
11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
usualy the puller that threads into the flywheel has a flat for a wrench. then you use another wrench on the bolt that threads through it to pop it off.

wildwheels22
11-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by CJM
^ That does work. But were talking about the flywheel-the other side of the engine.
LOL. sorry, had my head up my arse. clutch basket, fly wheel.. ahh.. whats the difference lol..
sorry about that..

CJM
11-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by wildwheels22
LOL. sorry, had my head up my arse. clutch basket, fly wheel.. ahh.. whats the difference lol..
sorry about that..

No worries lol..