PDA

View Full Version : New stator. Now wont start

cobrarthunder
11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I replaced my stator this week. My old one started to come apart, took the flywheel out with it. SO I replaced the flywheel, one way starter bearing, and installed a new stator.

BIKE WAS RUNNING WHEN I TORE IT DOWN.

Now it won't start. NO SPARK is my concern. The 15amp fuse is good. I did the recifier wire trouble shooting on the harness...ok. The kill switch is working (black/white wire isn't grounded at the CDI) tried another known good CDI.

NO pulse at the blk/yellow wire at the coil.

Does anyone know what the testing procedure is for the stator and ignition pickup wires? I am starting to think I got a bad ignition pickup/stator.

Chris

DnB_racing
11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by cobrarthunder
I replaced my stator this week. My old one started to come apart, took the flywheel out with it. SO I replaced the flywheel, one way starter bearing, and installed a new stator.

BIKE WAS RUNNING WHEN I TORE IT DOWN.

Now it won't start. NO SPARK is my concern. The 15amp fuse is good. I did the recifier wire trouble shooting on the harness...ok. The kill switch is working (black/white wire isn't grounded at the CDI) tried another known good CDI.

NO pulse at the blk/yellow wire at the coil.

Does anyone know what the testing procedure is for the stator and ignition pickup wires? I am starting to think I got a bad ignition pickup/stator.

Chris im not sure if this will help but its a good flow chart for trouble shooting http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

cobrarthunder
11-10-2011, 05:08 PM
The bike wont start...so that chart does nothing for me.

DnB_racing
11-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cobrarthunder
The bike wont start...so that chart does nothing for me. if I remember right there is a part that explains how to test the stator with out running the quad ... and I believe the pulse generator tests to between 50 and 200 ohms resistance

cobrarthunder
11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
The ign pickup in the stator tests at 245ohms (spec)....any ideas?

Tried a known good coil today...still no spark.

all lighting and ign/run-stop switches are working properly.

riotact
11-11-2011, 11:02 AM
There is a bunch of wires in a plastic sleeve above the battery box.Check and make sure all of those are plugged in and tight.I had the same trouble after a complete tear down and rebuild and that is what caused me all kinds of headaches.

cobrarthunder
11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
45ac from the ign pickup while cranking and about the same out of the stator....FML

riotact
11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Bad stator or bad ground at stator? Did you try a new plug?

cobrarthunder
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM
No spark out of coil...so not the park plug.

R/R the stator today and inspected it. all looked good. I called the company and they are sending me another stator to try. next week. We will see......

cobrarthunder
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Well put another new statorin it today. Still no spark.

I bypassed the ignition switch, no spark.

have tried 2 CDI's and 2 Ignition coils...no spark.

What the hell!?

CJM
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
bad wire? Not much else left...IDK.

cobrarthunder
11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Tore the quad down further today.

Put in a CRF timing chain and a new tensioner. (stocker was stretched and I knew it) Had it in my toolbox, so I tossed it in. Still didn't solve my no start.

I am getting Spark now. When grounding the sparkplug to the Jug. But still WONT START.

Wont start on starting fluid either.

has 110 PSI of compression.

I am lost....Spark/fuel/compression....and still wont start.

powerbomb400
11-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Shouldn't the compression be alittle higher.

cobrarthunder
11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
as much fuel as I've got in there from all this starting. I'm surprised I got that reading. I'm sure it will go up some once I get oil back in the rings....whenever it starts!