PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting in a branch of the military

tman12345
11-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Can someone share some experience with enlisting? and for years served also? like how many years your required to serve active and inactive at a minimum and what not? i cant find a straight answer anywhere on the web.

honda250xrider
11-10-2011, 09:52 PM
When you enlist your term is for 8 years. Generally speaking you can choose from 4 years active and then 4 years IRR or 6 years active and 2 years IRR.

Several questions that would be good to ask yourself. Have you went to several different recruiters? Have you researched the different branches of military to get a good foundation on what to expect in each branch? Do you have a particular skill or job you would like to develop while being in the military? Have you thought this as a career choice?

Best of luck to you in your choice.

ZeroLogic
11-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm currently serving in the Army under 11B (infantry). The acutal enlistment process is very boring and contains a lot of paper work and a lot of "hurry up and wait" I am currently under a four year active and four year reserve contract. I know you can enlist for two years but I don't really see the point. You won't rank up higher than a E4 if lucky. Enlisting in the army will require reserve time also. Meaning after you complete the active you will be required to serve x amount of time as a reserve soldier.

Any mos you had in mind?

Sorry for the crappy grammer I'm running on about two hours of sleep for the last two days plus just got back from a "good" night out.:p

feuerstack411
11-11-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm in the Army too. My contract is 3 years active, but I'll probably reenlist.

Do you have any idea of what branch and MOS? BTW, the Army is the only branch where you go into basic with a signed contract of what your exact MOS will be.

The worst part about enlisting is MEPs and all the **** related to that. If you're not a complete dumbass basic will be A LOT easier than what you think it would be like. There are some seriously dumb people in basic. Thank god they get weeded out by the time you get to your duty station.
And your average work day at your duty station is this...
Wake up at 0500 or so for PT, PT til 0700 or so, then you go back to your barracks to shower, eat breakfast, do whatever you want til 0900. From 0900 to 11300 you work, 11300 to 1300 is lunch/do what ever you want time then your done at 1600-1700 depending on your leadership. It's not bad.

I'm a 14T, which means I set up the launching stations for the Patriot missiles. I'm stationed in Korea right now, which is awesome. The pluis side for my MOS is I'm the lucky one out of the group that I came to Korea with that is being sent to the one battery at an Air Base on the western coast of Korea. The AF has the nicest stuff out of all the military. All the people I've talked to from the battery I'm going to said I'll be living goood, haha so I'm happy about that. Plus the AF girls love Army guys ;)
But if you got any specific questions just throw em up.

trailrider894
11-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, its more like what shouldn't I tell you...

Find a good recruiter... Seriously, they will screw you over if you give them the choice!!!

Choose your MOS wisely, do re-search, talk to people who had that job!!

Be 100% honest on all of your paperwork!! THEY WILL FOUND OUT IF YOU LIED!! I watched my buddy get kicked over lying about some traffic violations!!

Hurry up and wait already.... I waiting like 4 months in the DEP before I was sent to basic... Its stupid... BUT, take full advantage of your DEP options, and everything they over for you!! Like the Future Soldier training, made a world of a difference for me!!

Ask as many questions as you want!! This is your life, these people are paid to answer your questions! (recruiters that is). BUT, if you doubt for one second a recruiters word, double check it with a soldier on Active Duty!!

As far a how long to sign?? i signed 5yrs active and 3yrs Reserve. I didn't get any enlistment bonuses, so don't freak, because you probably won't get an Enlistment bonus.

tman12345
11-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Idk fellas im just thinking about joining a branch again. Throughout my life ive felt the need and want too. I graduated high school in 2009 so its my 3rd year out. I went to school to be an architect for one year and hated it. now this year and last ive been taking fire science courses (for firefighting), also currently enrolled in an emt class. I dont really know MOS and such, im just looking for some advice and guidance. Ive always wanted to fight for my country and infantry has always peeked my interest, but idk, i mean i would like to be able to get experience and what not, perhaps pertaining to what i want to do. and iasked about the enlistment time because someone had said that the least amount you could do for active duty these days was 6 years but clearly they were misinformed.

miller821
11-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by tman12345
Idk fellas im just thinking about joining a branch again. Throughout my life ive felt the need and want too. I graduated high school in 2009 so its my 3rd year out. I went to school to be an architect for one year and hated it. now this year and last ive been taking fire science courses (for firefighting), also currently enrolled in an emt class. I dont really know MOS and such, im just looking for some advice and guidance. Ive always wanted to fight for my country and infantry has always peeked my interest, but idk, i mean i would like to be able to get experience and what not, perhaps pertaining to what i want to do. and iasked about the enlistment time because someone had said that the least amount you could do for active duty these days was 6 years but clearly they were misinformed.

If you are considering the AF I am currently serving in the Reserves, but working active duty. My AFSC is 3E7X1 (Fire Fighting), and I can tell you that if that interests you on the outside then the AF is a great choice. It will give you great training, and good experience as well... You can sign for 4 years, but most recruiters don't mention it so you usually have to ask for it.

trailrider894
11-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not dis-crediting Reserves people in any way, but Reserves is Less than Part Time, So i always feel like reserve soldiers are only half soldiers... or only doing half their job... But when they get deployed its a different story.

miller821
11-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I'm not dis-crediting Reserves people in any way, but Reserves is Less than Part Time, So i always feel like reserve soldiers are only half soldiers... or only doing half their job... But when they get deployed its a different story.

Depends how you look at it, but you are correct in a way... Reserves operates in this order:

1. Family
2. Civilian Job
3. Your military job

With this way we are able to be regular citizens, but still serve our country.... What we do on our "drill" weekends is what active duty does year round. (I.E. Medical appointments to stay mobility ready, CATM appointments, training requirements to stay up to date including live fires for our career field, as well as other various objectives.) For some people this is great, they get to have a regular civilian life but at the same time get to deploy whenever the opportunity arises. So it just depends on what type of lifestyle you are looking to live. I can say that working Active Duty has its benefits, but also has its downfalls.

Pappy
11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Cody is working through the medical paperwok now. If all goes well, he will hit Parris Island in early May.

ridehonda400ex
11-12-2011, 05:13 PM
I respect all you military people so much. reserves and active duty both. Ive been thinking so much lately about doing something in the military. I just dont want my build to hold me back. Im 6'1 210 pounds and Im not fat but im not a string bean either. I got muscle too what do you guys think? would it hold me back being a little chunky? im only a junior in high scool so I could lose weight before i graduate, easily

trailrider894
11-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
I respect all you military people so much. reserves and active duty both. Ive been thinking so much lately about doing something in the military. I just dont want my build to hold me back. Im 6'1 210 pounds and Im not fat but im not a string bean either. I got muscle too what do you guys think? would it hold me back being a little chunky? im only a junior in high scool so I could lose weight before i graduate, easily

Nope, i was underweight.. It didn't change a thing...

Pappy
11-12-2011, 05:35 PM
LOL, Cody is 5'6 1/2... 189:D Sgt. said he would not bump his head on a LAV but he might have trouble fitting his shoulders through some places haha!

ZeroLogic
11-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Joining any branch is a commitment. You need to know 100 percent you want to do it. I seen so many kids that were all go for it then just fell apart because they could not handle it. They sat there and watch everyone graduate. Know what you want to do 100 percent before you sign papers. The Army or any branch does not need you so you right now so the picking is slim. The best advice I can give you is to know what you want to do, pick a job you want to do, take advatage of everything, and give it your 110 percent.

ridehonda400ex- Don't worry, I was 6' 231 when I left for OSUT, currently I weigh 190 and can run upper 13 minute two miles. Basic/AIT/OSUT is there to get you into shape and build confidence.

250R-Dee
11-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Pappy - tell Cody to PM me if he has any questions!

Pappy
11-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Dee, I sure will. I cant offer him much advice, I wanted to be a Marine for a totally different set of reasons that he is considering. He has zero self confidence, none, always has been like that. Even on the quad, he can rip with anyone but at a National he becomes timid and wont use what skills he has.....locals, he runs with anyone and battles for the overall LOL. Its purely mental.

He wants to be in Law Enforcement, but doesnt want 4 years at a desk and a $200k bill. I told him the Marines will give him the attributes most LEO's need to survive and he will be at the top of teh list if he can becoem a Marine, many we have chatted with (LEO) agree 100%.

Every excuse he can think of I counter with..."well, if you dont want to get shot or hurt dont be a cop, if you dont want your personal life disrupted, dont be a cop".

We all know he has what it takes to be a damn good Marine and eventually a police officer. He just cant get his thinking process in line, I told him the Corps will do that as well LMAO!

He is only considering reserves, and the MOS is limited. In our area, a mechanic and LAV crewman are the only two open for the foreseeable future. I told him the LAV would be my pick, far less humping after boot.....an interesting set of drills during his 2 weeks each year and the LAV has a bit thicker armor then a BDU jacket!

buck440
11-13-2011, 06:20 AM
be cautious of the recruiters lies. every recruiter i've been to so far has told me to lie about minor past operations and medications i used. i got meps coming up in 2 weeks and we'll see how it goes:( while i did not lie to my recruiter he told me he may leave some "minor issues" out and i agreed to it.

he also told me the tricks to pass the tape test such as standing really straight, put your toung in the back of your mouth to make your neck bigger, put your chest out, do lots of neck exercises and punch it to make it swell, take water pills and don't eat 2 days before the test.

they are really peices chit but recruitment duty is usualy forced duty.

feuerstack411
11-14-2011, 05:37 AM
man I'm always hearing these horror stories about recruiters. I must of lucked out because mine were some seriously nice and helpful people. They were always straight up and never lied

250R-Dee
11-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Pappy, where is the next closest reserve station? Cody might want to check the other reserve stations to see what jobs they have. He might have to drive 4 to 6 hours to get to his monthly drill but in the long run it will help him out. It is always best to choose a job specialty that will relate to civilian life. LAV Mechanic will translate to many jobs in the real world while the LAV crewman might not help with jobs unless he is the driver and it helps him get a CDL.

Also, tell Cody to do a 6+2 contract. The 4+4 reserve contracts to not rate the GI Bill. Unbeknownst to most people, all initial military contracts are for 8 years.

4 years active duty (AD) followed by 4 years of Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR)
6 years AD followed by 2 years of IRR
4 years Ready Reserve (RR) followed by 4 years of IRR
6 years RR followed by 2 years of IRR

What that means is if he doesn't re-enlist after his initial 4 or 6 year contract he will still be a part of the IRR until he hits the eight year mark.

GI Bill isn't just for college. He can use it for just about any training that is available. And that is a good thing if he decides to change professions later in later.

Make sure he PMs me because I have some info to help him with the initial culture shock of Basic Training.

Pappy
11-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Dee, I dont think there are many closer. His intentions are to go into Law Enforcement so the basic close combat training will be a huge plus, and he should sharpen his skills about awareness and self reliance etc, attributes a good cop needs.

If he goes in May, out early November, the police and his recruiter tell us he should apply immediatley. He can get traininga nd still get 2 years of criminal justice under his belt before he is 21.

The 6+2 is what he is doing, being out at 27 if he so chooses.

PM me if you dont mind, he will get my pm as he doesnt spend much time if any online LOL

250R-Dee
11-14-2011, 09:23 AM
PM sent! I had to split it into two messages!

August on Parris Island sucks! Hot, muggy and lots of sand fleas!

Family Guy
11-14-2011, 09:53 AM

This is BS! Recruiters are not all bad. I know you have a vast amount of Military experience and that is where you get all your info to make this statement.
Sorry for my rant but I have spent most of my adult life in the Military and have been a recruiter. Usually kids just dont ask the right questions or no questions at all. If considering the military ask as many questions as you possibly can think of. Talk to friends and family that are currently serving and ask questions.

trailrider894
11-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Family Guy

This is BS! Recruiters are not all bad. I know you have a vast amount of Military experience and that is where you get all your info to make this statement.
Sorry for my rant but I have spent most of my adult life in the Military and have been a recruiter. Usually kids just dont ask the right questions or no questions at all. If considering the military ask as many questions as you possibly can think of. Talk to friends and family that are currently serving and ask questions.

Exactly... I've found that I ran my own show when I was going in... I told them what i wanted and did all my own re-search... They do a great job and being a Middle man between you and the Army!! I got everything I wanted and didn't get screwed...

tyyllleeeerrrrr
11-14-2011, 11:10 AM
tman - I was in your same shoes about 6 months ago. Graduated HS in 2010 and took an EMT - B class and a Firefighter II Academy. Then I heard about USAF Pararescue, some argue it is some of the toughest training the military has to offer. But, if you like the whole Paramedic, Scuba, Freefall idea..you should look into this. I leave Jan4, 2012 for BMT with a GTEP contract for Pararescue. Just a thought... goodluck with your decision!

Tyler

ZeroLogic
11-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Exactly... I've found that I ran my own show when I was going in... I told them what i wanted and did all my own re-search... They do a great job and being a Middle man between you and the Army!! I got everything I wanted and didn't get screwed...

I love the guys that say I'd be this and that but my recruiter screwed me!

trailrider894
11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I love the guys that say I'd be this and that but my recruiter screwed me!

I am tired, so maybe thats why i'm not understanding that... So is that agreeing with what i said?? :confused:

ZeroLogic
11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I am tired, so maybe thats why i'm not understanding that... So is that agreeing with what i said?? :confused:

I'm agreeing with ya:p

trailrider894
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I'm agreeing with ya:p

GOOD!!!

motofreak2772
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I feel like some can be slightly misleading just to get guys in. Like for example, my friend wanted to go in the navy for a certain job, but it was full. So they told him to join a different job then switch jobs later. He agreed to this but I'm not sure switching jobs is as easy as they say..
And some recruiters just suck. I sent a page long email with questions and what not and they never replied. Probably because they couldn't answer my questions. Either way I am not in the military now..

F-16Guy
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
The military community is second to none regardless of the branch. My best advice is to join with a contingency plan in mind. try to enlist in a branch with a specialty that would be something you'd like to do on the outside. A lot of people get out after their first enlistment, so if you can use that four or six years to get a leg up on a civilian career, it will be a big advantage.

Also, start working on your degree right away. You'll receive tuition assistance on active duty that will cover the majority of your expenses, so at least knock out your general education requirements. Also take advantage of your base's education office to CLEP as many classes as possible for free.

The new Chapter 33 (post 9/11) GI Bill is a cumulative benefit and upon discharge after completion of at least 3 years of satisfactory service, the VA will pay 100% of your tuition directly to your school as well as cut you a check each month for 100% of the BAH (basic allowance for housing) for your rank. If you're in the active reserves, chapter 33 benefits start at 40% upon completion of 90 consecutive days of active duty in support of a contingency operation.

The military is great, but be smart. Pick a few careers that you would love before going to the recuiter and try to get one of them guaranteed IN WRITING before enlisting. If you can do that, the rest is gravy.