PDA

View Full Version : experienced opinions on the DS90X?

represent618
11-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Looking at buying a DS90X for my 7 year old. Leisure rider, no racing. Will be moving up from a KFX50 quad and XR50 bike.

How do you all like these bikes and are there any known issues/grievances to consider? I cant find used one anywhere so looking at buying new or left-over new.

Appreciate any feedback, kind of an expensive play-bike, but I would rather have something decent that will last and we can expand on if the interest is there with the kid.

chunky0071
11-10-2011, 11:34 AM
We had one for a little over a year with no issues. You can add some power cheap and make the bike perform alot better with some simple mods that are cheap and easy to do. But once you go to making more power watch the tranny. Keep the chain tight and gas and go.

pcleiter
11-10-2011, 01:16 PM
We bought a used DS90X for my son a little over 2 years ago. Compared to other non-race ready ATVs on the market (ie: DDR et al), it is an excellent bike for a child to ride. Not having to shift means they don't have to worry about their gearing, also makes it very unlikely that they'll end-over it going up steep inclines. The wheel base is also very wide, making it very stable. The speed is not fantastic - I think the fastest ours goes is about 23 MPH. And it takes a little while to get there - but that doesn't translate to lack of power. He goes up hills just like the rest of us, albeit a bit slower.

Problems... hmmm... ours seems to run pretty hot which I'm not wild about. We broke a gear in the gearbox during out last outing (never, never, never broke a gear on any bike before...), it could go faster, it is pretty darned heavy... the plastic body parts seem pretty brittle...

Other pluses - it is a bad looking little bike. We have an aftermarket exhaust on it and it sounds even badder. The suspension is very smooth, too.

represent618
11-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I just think the CANAM compared side to side with say the TRX90 it is a much cooler little bike. Even though the TRX is bullet-proof, they just haven't changed it in 20 years and it is still $3000.... if they would just update it a little I would be happy.

represent618
12-20-2011, 07:06 AM
So I bought a new (left-over) 2011 DS90X and am awaiting it to be ready, bad starter on the showroom - no bigee to me.

Can`t wait to see the kids reaction on XMAS morning!

I`ll post up my experiences later after we give it a good mud bath.

chunky0071
12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Cool. They are good bikes just not race bikes like they look. Post up when you get ready for some more power. Stock these things are really slow for a 90.

represent618
12-21-2011, 05:16 AM
So - first few rides are in and overall we are very happy with the quad.

Kid loves the finish and look of a "big bike", the CVT, and of course the reverse

I`ll update incase anyone is interested in reviews later after some good hard rides are on it....

represent618
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
So far, it has been rock solid and a blast for the kid. I am happy with the purchase so far, and my daughter approves handily.

chunky0071
02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Glad to hear it. They are great little quads and with a little work can be great trail quads.