PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable issues

eprovenzano
11-10-2011, 07:33 AM
My sons friend brought his 01 400ex to me so I can do some work on it for him. I don't think this poor bike ever say normal maintenance... The clutch pull is very hard. I want to lube up the cable to get him by until winter so when we can go over the bike completely.

What does everyone use to lube their cables, WD40, chain lube, PB Blaster? And what is the recommended method to lube the cable?

Thanks

CJM
11-10-2011, 07:47 AM
I like to use WD40 or some teflon based chain lube. I have a cable lube tool, it basically pushes the cable a bit soyou can get in there better, But you can pullit back by hand and use a straw and just spray away.

eprovenzano
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks, that's what I had in mind, but I wanted confirm and to see if some special lube others have used.

CJM
11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
They do make a specific cable lubricant, but imho its nothing more than WD40 or something similar.

I like the teflon based chainlube I use b/c it doesnt attract dirt.

powerbomb400
11-10-2011, 02:09 PM
I use 3in1 oil. WD-40 has solvent and water in and it let rust start. The 3in1 will drip down thru the entire cable.

CJM
11-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Im almost positive WD40 doesnt have any water in it, it was developed to be a water displacer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40

powerbomb400
11-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I've just found that it dries out ans loses it lubricant properties. The 3in1oil works better for me and will drip down the entire length of the cable.

mcwilly
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
I've just found that it dries out ans loses it lubricant properties. The 3in1oil works better for me and will drip down the entire length of the cable.

I'd stick with the 3-1. WD-40 is not a lubricant.
I use cable lube. Comes in a green/white can (cant remember the name of it) with a tool that crimps onto the cable. It's "supposed" to be mess-free, but I still seem to get it everywhere. But it does work well. I spray it until I see it drip out the end, then I move the cable back and forth to work out any excess. It works best if you can get the cable off completely and hold it veritally. I use it for throttle cables too.

EDIT: Found it. Here's a link. You can buy it with the crimper tool (pictured to the right) included for about $20.
cable lube link (http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/champions_choice_cable_lubricant/web1005749)

SpasticR450
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
wd40. If it has stiffer clutch springs it will be more stiff to pull in or if the cable is rusty/dirty. My 400ex always snapped the cord. Make sure the lever is adj right to or it will be stiffer. Should have a little play enought to fit a qourter in the gap is about right.