PDA

View Full Version : Head pipe questions (Cleaning)

DirtyBirdRacing
11-10-2011, 06:49 AM
ok, I have read a few threds on this now and have some questions.

1- After sanding/wet sanding the pipe will it rust again? (if so how soon)
2- What is the STOCK pipe made out of? (I have read several arguments)
3- After getting it polished Should I use a Hi-Temp Clear coat or will it be fine bare?
4- how long can I expect the pipe to stay clean?

And have people had good results with Hi-temp paint? (how long did it last, How many coats did you use, What brand.. ECT)

Thanks for replies in advance!

Thumpin440ex
11-10-2011, 08:15 AM
The head pipes are made from stainless steel.. You can sand them down or scotch bright them.. You can also polish them if you like.. They should not rust.. Clear will not hold up..

John

Rohr397
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I read from a magazine that CLR works best with a scotch brite pad in removing the buildup of junk on the anodized head pipes, tried it the other day and I don't think I even needed the scotch brite pad, stuff practically wiped off.

01boneless
11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
first thing i do to evry honda (mine or not) is pull the head pipe and put the wire wheel in the drill and just go to town works great my ex was nice befor i sold it used the wire wheel dont have any of it but here is the pipe i done on the 450 :cool:

Scro
11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Have the headpipe sandblasted, and then go over it with a wire wheel. It will look better than new, with a very shiny surface. On a 400ex headpipe though, you may have to use a dremel with a small wire wheel attachment to get between the pipes.

01boneless
11-10-2011, 03:32 PM
On a 400ex headpipe though, you may have to use a dremel with a small wire wheel attachment to get between the pipes. [/B][/QUOTE]

^^^ this

DirtyBirdRacing
11-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Sounds good ^.^ thaks guys.

dxcody
11-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Boneless, idk why but thats the first thing i do too.

I cant stand to see a mud stained header, along with grimey motors, its just a pet peeve of mine i guess! lol

I dont mess with it on 400's unless they are mine tho because 400's are a pain to do it.

I like my exhaust and motor to shine! :)

DirtyBirdRacing
11-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Boneless, idk why but thats the first thing i do too.

I cant stand to see a mud stained header, along with grimey motors, its just a pet peeve of mine i guess! lol

I dont mess with it on 400's unless they are mine tho because 400's are a pain to do it.

I like my exhaust and motor to shine! :)

Hmm ok well I am likely just going to Hitemp Rattle can my motor ( its holding up of my friends warrior) but how do you get the motor clean and do you have any pictures? :D

01boneless
11-11-2011, 09:06 AM
degreaser and a toothbrush :D

dxcody
11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I took steel wool, degreaser, and a toothbrush and just worked it in and out of the grooves in the motor... Its a BIT** with air cooled motors.

ill take some pics.

01boneless
11-11-2011, 10:37 AM
yes it is!!!

DirtyBirdRacing
11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I took steel wool, degreaser, and a toothbrush and just worked it in and out of the grooves in the motor... Its a BIT** with air cooled motors.

ill take some pics.

Pictures would be awsome thanks

Muzzgit
11-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I did mine last year. I tried paint stripper, oven cleaner. no good.

In the end it was a bucket of water and coarse grade wet and dry by hand then fine wet and dry. Came up an absolute treat but didn't take long to discolour again!

DirtyBirdRacing
11-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
I did mine last year. I tried paint stripper, oven cleaner. no good.

In the end it was a bucket of water and coarse grade wet and dry by hand then fine wet and dry. Came up an absolute treat but didn't take long to discolour again!

For the motor or the Pipe?

Muzzgit
11-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Ya sorry for the pipe.

Never bothered with the motor. I've seen other guys try it and it goes back to looking dirty in no time.

Any way, after all the time and effort just to shine up the headers and see them look ordinary in a short period of time I figured it'd not a show bike, so just ride the b**tard

DirtyBirdRacing
11-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
Ya sorry for the pipe.

Never bothered with the motor. I've seen other guys try it and it goes back to looking dirty in no time.

Any way, after all the time and effort just to shine up the headers and see them look ordinary in a short period of time I figured it'd not a show bike, so just ride the b**tard

Yeah, Im just looking to shine it up for the time being till i can get a PowerBomb header.