PDA

View Full Version : Quad starting problem

Zakradu398
11-10-2011, 04:49 AM
First off, I know this isn't the right section and I apologize but nobody looks in the Polaris section.. Off the to q.. It's a sportsman 500 ho. When you go to start it. The solonoid just clicks, but won't turn over the starter. What are things to check so I know what's bad? Can I use a dmm(multimeter) to check anything?

dxcody
11-14-2011, 02:38 AM
I understand, there are alot of sections that dont have helpful traffic flow.. (as so to speak)

I hope i can help.

Take a wire and run it from your positive battery terminal straight to your starter, if it turns over your relay is bad, also check all conections for frayed wires and such.

You can use your multimeter, hook it up to the battery and hit the start button, if the battery level drops durasticly, then that shows your battery is bad under a load, and needs replaced.

Also check your battery level with your multimeter, should be about 12.50-13.00

Zakradu398
11-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you, will check all that and let you know, when hooking the battery straight to the starter I should only do it really quick so I don't fry the starter, correct?

dxcody
11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Yea. as soon as you touch the starter is should turn the starter over, as long as the start turns over that will tell you its more than likely your relay.

wilkin250r
11-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Thank you, will check all that and let you know, when hooking the battery straight to the starter I should only do it really quick so I don't fry the starter, correct?

Yes, but it's not as dangerous as you think.

Is your solenoid continuously clicking really fast, or is it one click and nothing happens?

Your solenoid is basically a switch, it's a direct connection from your battery to your starter, your starter button just activates the switch. Why doesn't is just all go through the starter button? Your starter button can't handle that much power, it would be twice the size of your thumb throttle to handle all that juice.

If your starter clicks once:

Sometimes, those electrical connections inside your solenoid get fried and covered with carbon, and it won't work. The solenoid clicks because it's trying to activate, but there's too much build-up to make the actual electrical connection.

Or, your starter is bad. The test that Cody gave you above will test that. Use as BIG a wire as possible, jumper cables will work. Connect one end to your positive battery terminal, and touch the other end to the proper connection on your starter motor (or you could just connect across the big connections on your solenoid, it's the same thing). Basically, you are taking the solenoid out of the circuit. If the starter turns, then it obviously means your solenoid is bad. If the starter doesn't turn, then it means your solenoid is good, and it's your STARTER that's bad.

If it clicks continuously really fast:

If it's clicking continuously, it's because your battery is low, or you have a bad battery connection. Your solenoid needs like 10 volts to activate, but your starter will drag that voltage down on a bad battery. So if you're like 10.5 volts, your solenoid will activate (the click) but then the starter will drag that voltage down to 9 or 8 volts and the solenoid will click off. When the solenoid clicks off, the battery voltage will go back up to 10.5, and then the solenoid will click on again, and then the starter will drag the voltage down again and the solenoid clicks off. This basically results in the "buzzing" sound from the solenoid as it clicks on and off rapidly.

Zakradu398
11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
cLICKS Once and thats it, ill be able to check tomorrow and I have some 2/0gauge welding cable unless I can use jumper cables.

dxcody
11-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I would just use jumper cables, thats what i always do in situations like this, but i wasnt going to reccomend it, cause i wasnt sure if it was the right thing to use haha,

let us know. Hope its the selenoid, not the starter, selenoid is a little bit cheaper.