PDA

View Full Version : Want to see some short-course racing?

400grl
11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Here is a video I made from our last Lucas Oil Off Road Race Series (www.lucasoiloffroad.com) SR1 race. I used a rear-facing camera as well as some in-car footage.

In Short-course, we usually do about 4-5 1 mile laps and then they throw a mandatory caution halfway through. This bunches everyone back up, and then we restart and finish the race. Makes it interesting for the fans, but a little nervewracking if you are in first place like I was - lol!

(the SR1 class is R1 powered race Rhinos and ZX-10 powered Teryx's)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uM9f7RNh6_Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

finsteratv
11-09-2011, 10:56 PM
thats pretty sick!

400grl
11-10-2011, 10:02 AM
:D

wickdYFZ450R
11-10-2011, 12:19 PM
awesome video..

DnB_racing
11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Im so Jealous!!!:grr: we have nothing that awesome around here. all the tracks are going dirt bike only or closing , and you have this....your such a tease, lol

I hate Massachusetts,

how fast does do you get on a straight? looks like your going real good....

Tommy Warren
11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
u go girl:cool:

fastredrider44
11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, How fast are you getting up to, how long are the jumps? Kinda hard to tell. How much Rhino is actually left, and have any recent pictures?:blah:

I'll stop asking questions now.:o

400grl
11-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Well, we get up to about 63 in the straights at the longer tracks. My SR1 will go over 100 if I'm feeling daring, but going that fast is pretty freaky in such a short wheel base (I only do that at the drags at the dunes, btw!)

Those tables are probably around 100 feet, and we downside them pretty easily. These tracks are built for the big trucks, so everything out there is "truck sized" - lol!

For our class, we have to use the whole bottom of the factory frame. On my car, we also kept the stock front and rear suspension clips. I also have the stock gas pedal - haha! :) So the suspension points are factory, and we are limited as far as width and length, etc.....no stretch frames or other BS like that.

I have a few pics but they are pretty big files and it won't let me attach them. I'll see if I can make them smaller.....

sly400ex
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Helluva good job driving that thing! You rock it!

440racer66
11-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Well, we get up to about 63 in the straights at the longer tracks. My SR1 will go over 100 if I'm feeling daring, but going that fast is pretty freaky in such a short wheel base (I only do that at the drags at the dunes, btw!)

Those tables are probably around 100 feet, and we downside them pretty easily. These tracks are built for the big trucks, so everything out there is "truck sized" - lol!

For our class, we have to use the whole bottom of the factory frame. On my car, we also kept the stock front and rear suspension clips. I also have the stock gas pedal - haha! :) So the suspension points are factory, and we are limited as far as width and length, etc.....no stretch frames or other BS like that.

I have a few pics but they are pretty big files and it won't let me attach them. I'll see if I can make them smaller.....

how much do one of those rigs cost?

wilkin250r
11-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Second turn after the mandatory caution you got a little tangled and the other driver spun out. You're REALLY lucky he didn't take you out as well. If he had hit you a little harder, or even a little earlier while you were in the turn rather than coming out of it, he probably would have taken you out as well.

Nice video.

400grl
11-12-2011, 04:22 PM
That kind of thing happens all the time - I pegged the throttle and pushed back a tad to keep straight. There is quite a bit of contact in short-course due to all of us wanting to be in the same place at the same time - lol! We do run nerf bars (like quads), but they mostly just protect our side panels somewhat from getting bashed in.

The cost on these depends on what you want. One of our friends just bought a race ready SR1 for $13k. The guy that won the championship last year paid about that for his. If you build one from scratch, you are looking at about $25-30k.....so it's better to buy a used race Rhino and convert it, or if you get lucky, buy a Rhino that's already been converted to an SR1.

This is a pretty inexpensive way to get into short-course racing.....and the cool thing about short-course, is you can actually make a living out of racing if you do well and move up into the truck classes. There is TV coverage there, and there are a number of guys that moved up from UTVs into trucks this year. I'm doing it in 2012. Sponsors love some CBS and Speed Tv time! :)

I actually wrote a blog about how good quad racers make really good short-course racers. We already have so many of the skills from racing MX on 4 wheels!

muddy400EX
11-15-2011, 06:33 AM
damn, that looks like it would be sooo much fun

everytime i see SC trucks, baja trucks, basically any kind of offroad race truck, i watch and just feel like i was born to do that,lol

fastredrider44
11-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by 400grl

Yikes. I can imagine. Do you still use all the gears?

400grl
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
For short-course I use 1-3rd gear - every once in a while 4th, depending on my gearing and the track. At the dunes, for cruising the bowls and running around just 1-3....at the drags, I have gotten to the top of 5th, but always run out of room before I can hit 6th! :)