PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 90cc ?

FISH ON!
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
OK Cobra experts..................... Give me an education on what's going on with the 2012 Cobra's. I'm trying to find more info out on Hetricks comments on this string below.............

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=477235

How do you get a Cobra these days? Their web says not available for sale in the USA. I assume that means their new stuff won't be considered "production" legal. Any insight? The whole Cobra purchasing thing has been a mystery the past couple years. If there is a production Cobra 90 out there, I've gotta have it. :-)

chunky0071
11-10-2011, 07:16 AM
From what I understand you have to buy it in pieces and put it together. But if that is the case I don't see how it is production legal sense next the lt450r will not be production legal due to not be made.

chunky0071
11-10-2011, 07:17 AM
But that being said I would love to see Zack on one.

gistmarrs
11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Wasn't that just to get around the lead law? I figured now that the lead issue has gone away, they would start selling complete bikes again.

That motor with the power valve should be very similar in performance to the Japanese bike motors that we run now. It should have quite a bit more power in the lower RPM than the non power valve motors.

chunky0071
11-10-2011, 09:51 AM
They are also dealing with the EPA. in the bike world you competition only models and EPA approved models in quads there is no such thing as Competition only models they all must meet EPA and Consumer safety laws.

chris grissom
11-21-2011, 03:46 PM
My self and at least one other builder I know can build you a 90 with authorization from Cobra. Very expensive and difficult but not impossible. An older design I built a few years back has won the Austrailian championship the last few years and came to Lorretta's this year and place well in the 90 classes, winning one moto. A new design we had hoped would make quad production is the 65 Cobra power valve bike engine, but not yet....... All the issues noted have a bearing on no current quads as assemblies. But rolling chassis are available as well as auto 50 and 70 engines to make complete quads. Call Chris Grissom for details 731-642-0511 after 4:00 CST.

FISH ON!
11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by chris grissom
My self and at least one other builder I know can build you a 90 with authorization from Cobra. Very expensive and difficult but not impossible. An older design I built a few years back has won the Austrailian championship the last few years and came to Lorretta's this year and place well in the 90 classes, winning one moto. A new design we had hoped would make quad production is the 65 Cobra power valve bike engine, but not yet....... All the issues noted have a bearing on no current quads as assemblies. But rolling chassis are available as well as auto 50 and 70 engines to make complete quads. Call Chris Grissom for details 731-642-0511 after 4:00 CST.

Thanks for the response Chris............. We run GNCC and what I'm looking for has to meet AMA "production" rules and be betwen 71cc and 90cc. Is it possible to get a NEW Cobra to pass that? The only one that use to was the 80 Auto shifter and I don't see that in the line-up anymore.

chris grissom
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
You are correct on the homlagatizion. But even the 80 was questionable as to AMA legality. It was allowed to run but if it became dominant that might change some things. I would use the 80 engine as you mention as a base.

Ryko racing
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM
The 80 engine was ama Prod legal. Actually the 70 shifter was the base we used for 3 seasons with great success and it was production legal with optional auto clutch w foot shifter or hand clutch.
I know the 90 is expensive but really compared to building a trx or cvt its about the same i think when you add it all up.
i was told that GNCC wont allow Cobras period as their mod class is really a prod mod class. ??????? I would check with the Promoter.

Im testing my memory but i think Walker Fowler raced a Cobra to a Championship a few years back ? ( gncc that is)

W

don bassani
12-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Paul Marra at Wiley mods can tell you all about new 90 engine for 2012

TeamNeilson
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Goodness.

This will impact my son as well..

We are moving him from the 90 Mod (way, way, way, way outclassed on his old stock rm motor), down to the 90 production class, but we'll want/need something that is completely legal, yet competitive with what's out there.

This whole thread has me confused :(

pmarra
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
The new Rmcs from Wiley mods

Ryko racing
01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Paul, will that fit Ryans 90 mod ?