PDA

View Full Version : moto440 and CRF..pro's and cons

MotoRacer
02-26-2003, 01:18 PM
What are some pro's and con's of the 2 bikes? Which is better?(MX) Why? I have a moto now, but the CRF keeps running around in the back of my mind. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! HELP!

400exRacerX
02-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Either way your gonna burn a huge hole through your wallet!!

Glow Plug
02-26-2003, 01:34 PM
the pro's for the moto: dealer backed, proved in racing, can go out and buy one.

pro's of crf: one of a kind, have the expeance of building a quad by hand unbeatable on the track

rookiex
02-26-2003, 01:54 PM
I have seen many moto's beat CRF's...really they hang pretty good when I watch after my races.

The CRF's are also like 15000 to 20000 now add about 5000 into a moto and see how it goes.:devil

I love them both and I still like 440ex's too :D

02-26-2003, 03:25 PM
I think CRF's are still better though.. and they are custom made so you know what's on it and I think a CRF is well woirth the moeny.. you can build a crf for about 12,000 with some hot setup's..and mod's

raptor_02
02-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Lathers
I think CRF's are still better though.. and they are custom made so you know what's on it and I think a CRF is well woirth the moeny.. you can build a crf for about 12,000 with some hot setup's..and mod's if you build a CRF for 12000 it won't touch a MOTO. It will take atleast 15000 in one to be on PAR with a moto. A good tuned MOTO will give a CRF all it wants. I gurantee if Tim Farr would have been on a MOTO440 it would have been the same result. Championship

Bean
02-26-2003, 05:15 PM
if he would have been on a 400, he probably would have won, its not the machine, its the rider

also, a 12k CRF would be just as good, if not better, than any stock moto

Nausty
02-26-2003, 05:22 PM
First of all I think its a bad idea getting a moto440, I think you'd be better off getting a speed for 5400 or whatever they are selling for and then mod it yourself and get some better a-arms and shocks.

2nd the moto is cheaper but imo I think the crf/yzf hybrid quads would be much better if you got the $$. But to that point performance of quads its pretty much the rider that makes the differance.

NTPRacing#19
02-26-2003, 05:40 PM
well said nausty

Knight440
02-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
well said nausty

2nd that

MotoRacer
02-26-2003, 05:48 PM
anyone know anyone that wants a moto440..02..with less than 10 hours on it and comes with a new walsh bar mount and steering stem still in box? 8500 takes it..let me know.

Moto

mrusk
02-27-2003, 07:28 AM
Moto racer you never even raced before. A crf quad is not going to make you any fast going around the track...only practice will. Quit wasting your parents money and ride your moto.

matt

exriderdude
02-27-2003, 07:42 AM
if you get right down to it.... a well built CRF would blow away a Moto......

MotoRacer
02-27-2003, 05:34 PM
thanks guys...mrusk--i wasn't asking what you think is a better idea to do with my parents money..don't worry about them..i was asking which is a better bike..thanks everyone.

Moto

mrusk
02-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Uh yea a crf quad is the best possible quad anyone could have. However, there is no reason for someone who had never raced to have one. Your going to look like a fool when you get smoked by a dude on a stock 400ex.

Keep your moto. Its the 2nd best quad anyone could have. There is nothing wrong with a moto. Its a awesome quad and anyone would be happy to have one. The money you will loose selling the dale doesn't justify the improve you will get moving to a crf quad.

matt

trx400ex
02-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
Uh yea a crf quad is the best possible quad anyone could have. However, there is no reason for someone who had never raced to have one. Your going to look like a fool when you get smoked by a dude on a stock 400ex.

Keep your moto. Its the 2nd best quad anyone could have. There is nothing wrong with a moto. Its a awesome quad and anyone would be happy to have one. The money you will loose selling the dale doesn't justify the improve you will get moving to a crf quad.

matt

Well Matt at least your making since to the rest of us. I would be embarassed to race a Moto if it was my first race. Hel'l, i am a little nervous about looking stupid on my 400 now that i got it all fixed up. And this will be my second season. What if you go out there and you get last on your shiny new CRF. And the guys who beat you were on stock bikes.. I just dont get some people, if i had a Moto i wouldnt think about selling it...i think the first thing i would do is race it atleast once and if it isnt good enough (for someone whos raced once:rolleyes: ) just put a few mods on it. I dont know if this is making since but someday your gonna have to buy your own stuff and then you will understand...Uh, well atleast maybe.

Oh yeah and if you can't atleast tell yourself which is a better bike you dont belong on either.

MotoRacer
02-27-2003, 09:46 PM
hmmm..i've never riden a CRF, so i don't know what they are like..haha..thats why i asked. Also, who ever said i made my parents pay for the moto? First of all, i work 5 days a week, second of all, i bought more of the moto than they did..3rd of all, i even bought myself a stock framed LAEGER 265R! sooo..i guess you guyz are wrong saying my parents buy me everything..also, this is my 1st year racing, that is right...is it my first time on a track? haha..NO! i am on the track nearly every weekend, and if i miss a weekend, i am riding at my farm. I have been riding a long time. So, when racing starts, i don't think ill have a problem kepping up with people. :devil

MotoRacer
02-27-2003, 09:57 PM
and BTW, i think im going to keep the moto for a while..the things that made me to start to think more bout the CRF are a few things...i'm not 100% familiar with the engine yet, and from what i've done, it's not the easiest thing to work on(i thought a crf would be easier), and cannondale filed chapter 11, but now i heard they are bought...so, i think i am good..thanks for everyone opinions though.

Moto

02-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Dude, if you got the right connections or are asponsored rider you can build a crf for 12,000 and spank a crf..

Juggalo
02-28-2003, 12:13 AM
just keep the moto man. do you have any idea how lucky you are to have a machine like that? man if i had a quad like that i would be happy for life!

mrusk
02-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Heck if you got to ask which bike is better i doubt you could figure out how to build a crf from scratch.

Heck this got to be the 4th thread that you asked the same question.

matt

02-28-2003, 12:31 AM
my dad is stronger than your dad....

well at least the crf is a reliable honda, its simpler too and better performing, tranny ratios on honda only downfall, id much rather have a crf

Glow Plug
02-28-2003, 12:44 AM
i much rather have a crf just because of the exerperence of building one by hand and the crf has a bit more potental than the dale like how many company's offer preformance part's for the moto? no to many but you can get piston kits, pipes, etc but i guess also that the moto already has thoe parts so what ever you chose have fun with it :D

MotoRacer
02-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Matt----i have a Stock Framed Laeger 265R also that I(Me) built from the ground up..so i think i can somehow figure out how to build a CRF if thats what I wanted. I think im going to keep the moto though and put a South Bay Moto kit in the engine. It bumps the HP to like 60 hp..maybe a little more. That will not only be faster than the CRF, it will be less money. :D Then next season if i want something different i wil build something.

DirtDiggler
02-28-2003, 08:00 PM
according to southbay there 460 kit puts out 51hp at the rear wheels on race gas. However I think these are dyno numbers for a bike and since a quad has a heavier drive train I think it would bring that number down a bit. I would love a moto 440.

MotoRacer
02-28-2003, 08:17 PM
check southbaymoto.com....im not sure of exactly how much a moto puts out stock..but the kit give its 18 more HP..its a 35% increase..i just talked to them on the phone..check it out..its a nice kit..called the Comp IV.

DirtDiggler
02-28-2003, 08:36 PM
I think that kit was designed for a bike against the original bike hp numbers.

the quad puts out 33hp stock at the rear wheels so even if the numbers are on there with the quad in mind you get 51hp with race fuel. It also depends on the rules where you race since it is a 460 kit it is above the cc limit.

mrusk
02-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Uh why would you spend several grand on your motor before you even tried it out for awhile. You say your moto only has 10 hours on it. if that is true and not a lie it proably ain't even fully broken in, or was broken in incorrectly. Why don't you try the thing out on a real track, jack frost aint a real track and see how you like it first.

matt

MotoRacer
02-28-2003, 10:43 PM
yeah, hopefully i will make it up to raush creek when it gets a little warmer. I heard that track has some nice jumps on it.

I think the Moto has more HP than 33. I don't know the numbers, but doesn't a stock 400Ex have like 28? im not sure though..anyone know?

DirtDiggler
03-01-2003, 12:48 AM
the moto has about 41hp becuase of the exhuast and map but southbay has there own exhaust and map to go with kit or they can reuse other aftermarket exhuasts and maybe the stock moto exhuast. There kits are figured off of stock hp for the engine which is the same for all Cannondales and puts 33hp to the ground. So I guess you would be looking at 10hp for the 460 kit.

The moto's exhaust is more free flowing than the stock Cannibal and Speed pipes but doesn't flow as well as the aftermarket pipes like the HMF.

James70214
03-01-2003, 01:09 AM
First off all dynos are different. One will say a cannibal has 33hp and another will say it has 50hp. The stock cannibal that southbay is going off of had 37hp. They are getting 18hp(Stage IV) gain so that is 55hp.

There is no way they only get 10hp from the 460kit.

raptor_02
03-01-2003, 03:08 AM
KEEP YOUR CANNONDALE!!!!! ALL YOU GUYS SAYING A CRF WILL DESTROY A CANNONDALE ARE CRAZY. I HAVEN'T RODE EITHER AND I'D SAY MOST OF YOU HAVEN'T EITHER SO......................REALLY NONE OF US NEED TO REPLY ON THIS TOPIC!

Team Outlaw #34
03-01-2003, 03:39 AM
you have a moto (12,000+)....you've built a 265R from the ground and now you want to build a CRF....AND you still live with your parents? AND you've never raced before? are you related to Bill Gates?

dude keep what you got....

03-01-2003, 04:41 AM
the c dale bike is at a lose in the engine department when they comepare it to yzf crf in bike magazines so i dont buy this crap u guys say about the c dale being so fast, its fast for a production quad but not up to par with a mx dirtbike motor

Davids440ex
03-01-2003, 06:22 AM
if you have the money i would get the crf. when i saw Dana creech racing at San Diego, he fas flyin on it.

Dale512
03-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Yeah, the CRF motor might be more powerful, but not enough for you to sell a Moto to build one, if the power is that big of a deal Im sure a Southbay engine would be enough to handle a CRF built quad. If your serious about racing they make a 440cc version of their stage 3 kit. I beleive its rated around 55-60HP with that kit.

MotoRacer
03-01-2003, 12:00 PM
yeah its the comp 4 kit, but they can leave the displacement at 440cc.

I am going to keep my cannondale.

mrusk
03-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Think about it. If you race for a year or too and dont suck you will be able to pick up some good sponsership deals and get alot of parts for cost. You will save like several thousand there. THen you can easily built a crf for 12.

matt

MotoRacer
03-01-2003, 02:22 PM
yeah,im going to race it for a while, and then take it from there.

DirtDiggler
03-01-2003, 07:43 PM
James you misunderstand me.

I'm saying you would get the 18hp or whatever from a stock Cannibal or Speed the Moto and Blaze you could say are already slightly modded with their exhaust and exhaust is part of what southbay does. There bikes that have their kits all have aftermarket pipes. I'm saying the moto is already part of the way there so your going to get a bigger hp increase for a stock Cannibal than a stock Moto.

James70214
03-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Dirtdiggler
Sorry about that I did misunderstand you.

Freeride

The c-dale quad in a drag race against a yzf426 quad will win. It has been done. Dawzie did it. He has both of them and the dale if faster. The cannibal only had a pipe on it as far as motor mods.

raptor_02
03-02-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
the c dale bike is at a lose in the engine department when they comepare it to yzf crf in bike magazines so i dont buy this crap u guys say about the c dale being so fast, its fast for a production quad but not up to par with a mx dirtbike motor honestly have you rode a cannondale???? I'd bet you haven't! I have heard of many dales crushing YZFS and CRFS in a drag. Yes this came from DALE owners but i'd say it is possible. DALES are raced against CRFS all the time and place very well against them!!!!!!!!!!

DirtDiggler
03-02-2003, 02:10 PM
that's true man one of the guys on atvconnection I think his screen name is mxmike has a yzf426 quad and a moto and he said off the line the moto is faster but the yzf is faster when your already rolling. He said on the track he has to set up for jumps a little earlier with the moto than with the yzf and that it's a trade off because he gets the holeshot 90% + on the moto.

Some one of there has a crf and a moto as well but I can't remember all of there comments so I wont post on that one. My point is I've ridden a dale my best friend has a Cannibal with the hmf slip on, moto map +4 axle, and +2 a-arms and it handles well and is extremely fast. Even in stock trim it was faster than any other stock wheeler I've ridden especially in terms of real riding performance and not dyno charts.

.02 from the Diggler man later guys