PDA

View Full Version : k&n or foam, how much difference really?

duneslider
11-08-2011, 09:29 AM
So, I always ran a Uni on my YZ. Great filter.

I always ran k&n filters straight off the carbs on my banshee.

I never noticed anything making it into the intake on either machine. The banshee was only ridden at the dunes and sand isn't as fine as dust on the trail.

My 400ex came with a k&n. I have been thinking of getting a Uni but am curious if, or how much performance will drop.

Those who have switched from a k&n to a foam, how much of a jetting change was needed, if any?

evan402
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
your opening up a can of worms here

chronicsmoke
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't think you'll notice a difference between the two..

I made the same switch and it really didn't have much effect on the jetting.

I run Uni on everything I have now... The tracks around here are he11a dusty during the summer

05DodgeDakota
11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
I personally like K&Ns, thats all I used in my trucks, and they are IMHO easier to clean. I've been happy with the one on my quad, and the power lid. Just run a prefilter also. I went up one jet size when switching from foam to a K&N

CJM
11-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I like the foam filters, I feel they filter better because the filter material is finer. A KN is ok, but without something like an outwears cover my intake would be full of fine sand.

Personal choice really imho. What cuts down on junk gettingin more than anything is making a filter for the snorkel. I cut an old panthose up and just used the end and a big ziptie to hold it on. My filter is MUCH cleaner.

05DodgeDakota
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I like the foam filters, I feel they filter better because the filter material is finer. A KN is ok, but without something like an outwears cover my intake would be full of fine sand.

Personal choice really imho. What cuts down on junk gettingin more than anything is making a filter for the snorkel. I cut an old panthose up and just used the end and a big ziptie to hold it on. My filter is MUCH cleaner.

that snorkel filter idea is great! Gotta do that with an old prefilter

duneslider
11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Now, I wasn't trying to open a can of worms. I was more curious on real world jetting differences between a good foam and the k&n.
Not trying to debate which is better. My banshee did great with k&n and my dads did great with a Uni.

One size on the main is a pretty insignificant change in my opinion.

I have used and still use both types of filters on different things.

I clean and oil properly on a very regular basis. Which I feel is more important than filter choice.

Thanks for the replies so far.

chronicsmoke
11-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by duneslider
I clean and oil properly on a very regular basis. Which I feel is more important than filter choice.

Bingo! A poorly maintained filter is only asking for trouble. If you are going to run a K&N, you 'need' an Outerwears prefilter too.

evan402
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I run a k&n with outerwears and need to clean it every two rides otherwise it gets too dirty. I have yet to have an issue with dust in my carb tho.

cheater13
11-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I like that snorkel idea! I'll have to give that a try. But i switched to a UNI because personal preference and i know alot of others that use them. It seems a little harder to clean but it all isn't. If you are running a K&N filter, make sure you put a prefilter on there or it will get dirty pretty fast.

CJM
11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by evan402
I run a k&n with outerwears and need to clean it every two rides otherwise it gets too dirty. I have yet to have an issue with dust in my carb tho.

The outerwears prefilter is whats keeping the filter itself clean.

DirtyBirdRacing
11-10-2011, 06:16 AM
I run K&N by it self with no Pre filter, But I have been running it with a lid doesnt seem to get bad even rideing in FINE coal dust.

When I went from the Foam filter that came with the quad to my K&N ( about two weeks after I bought it) I did notice it made mine want to pull up ALOT more, Might of been that the foam one was cloged or something cause I never cleaned it when I first bought it. I was new to ATVS that I cared about and just wanted to ride when I First got it. >.<