PDA

View Full Version : Best Chest Protector?

wolfe 21
11-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Ok, I'm sure this is probably gonna b one of those pile of worms questions, but I think I've used up about all of my luck and figure its time to start adding to my gear bag. Right now I'm riding in Steel Toed Wolverine Wellingtons, jeans, T-shirt, maybe shift jersey, and a bell moto 8 helmet with Thor/smith goggles.

What I'm looking for is recommendations for the best all around chest protector that has some back coverage as well. I'm more concerned about impact protection than roost or stones (though I've taken a couple bruising shots from country road rocks off friends rear tires). I'm considering an EVS Revo 4 or 5, but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions. Under the jersey would be nice.
I ride mainly gravel/dirt roads, hard pack wooded trails, occasional mud and little open farm ground if it makes a difference.

Thanks, James.

finsteratv
11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
i like my thor impact rig. its like a coat type thing with it all built in. it can get a little warm but isnt bad at all. great back support so i'm way less sore at the end of the day along with great back protection. i picked it up at a garage sale for 20 bucks and its been awesome for me!

jake55
11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
we use HRP. the one we use has a built in kidny belt and shoulder protection. it's an over the shirt style, not to bulky and has held up well under some pretty hard crashes. it's also leat brace compatable.

TheLane
11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I use the fox proframe and i love it.

the shoulder straps adjust so i can get it over my neck brace easily and it doesnt have the annoying arm pads.

and the back protector peice goes all the way down to your lower back.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/31411/ITEM/Fox-Racing-Proframe-LC-Protector.aspx

finsteratv
11-08-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/15869/ITEM/Thor-Motocross-Impact-Rig-SE.aspx?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete
mine also has built in kidney belt and back armour running full length. Seems i take the rocky hill climb dirtbike crashes jus fine :)

nkillian9
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
i have the oneal version of the one posted above, love it very comfortable and tough

slightlybent47
11-09-2011, 01:16 AM
You may want to consider getting one that will work with a neck brace. If you decide you want a neck brace at a later date and don’t get one that will work you’ll have to shell out more money for another chest protector to fit the brace.

quad2xtreme
11-09-2011, 04:37 AM
Leatt chest protector fits under a jersey and works with the Leatt brace.

wolfe 21
11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
appreciate all the replies and some very interesting optioins presented. I don't know if it will impact the recomendations, and I probably should've mentioned it earlier, but I'm 6'2" and weigh around 215-220. I don't really wanna feel like I'm wearing my little brothers gear either, so if anything is a tight fit or only available to fit 180lbs and under that is a consideration too. And I seem to have long arms aswell. shirts that fit my torso are about 3 inches too short in the sleeves. and the ability to retain my camelbak would be nice.
I don't know that a brace is necessary right now, I'm not sure I ride that hard as to need it. I don't race, don't jump and don't really try wheelies/stoppies or other stupid tricks. I'm mainly a trail rider, but I'm aware enuff to know sooner or later I'm getting off the hard way and i want to be prepared. Among my friends, I'm usually the only one who even bothers to wear a helmet, none the less any of the other gear (and I've ridden without one, though not for distance or time and never comfortably). Not that I haven't tried, but my friends are the I've been doing it this way since i was 10, why change now types.

ANYWAY, I'm considering these:
EVS Revo (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/25714/ITEM/EVS-Revolution-5-Roost-Guard.aspx)
fox vest (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/31683/ITEM/Fox-Racing-Titan-Sport-Sleeveless-Jacket.aspx)
and the proframe shown above.

James (sorry for the long post)

quad2xtreme
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Thor Force has an XL size. It is a beefy chest protector. Definitely not under the jersey.

I've ridden with several people who didn't wear chest protectors until a freak accident resulted in cracked ribs.

Moose also make an XL size.

Originally posted by wolfe 21
appreciate all the replies and some very interesting optioins presented. I don't know if it will impact the recomendations, and I probably should've mentioned it earlier, but I'm 6'2" and weigh around 215-220. I don't really wanna feel like I'm wearing my little brothers gear either, so if anything is a tight fit or only available to fit 180lbs and under that is a consideration too. And I seem to have long arms aswell. shirts that fit my torso are about 3 inches too short in the sleeves. and the ability to retain my camelbak would be nice.
I don't know that a brace is necessary right now, I'm not sure I ride that hard as to need it. I don't race, don't jump and don't really try wheelies/stoppies or other stupid tricks. I'm mainly a trail rider, but I'm aware enuff to know sooner or later I'm getting off the hard way and i want to be prepared. Among my friends, I'm usually the only one who even bothers to wear a helmet, none the less any of the other gear (and I've ridden without one, though not for distance or time and never comfortably). Not that I haven't tried, but my friends are the I've been doing it this way since i was 10, why change now types.

ANYWAY, I'm considering these:
EVS Revo (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/25714/ITEM/EVS-Revolution-5-Roost-Guard.aspx)
fox vest (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/31683/ITEM/Fox-Racing-Titan-Sport-Sleeveless-Jacket.aspx)
and the proframe shown above.

James (sorry for the long post)

slightlybent47
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Think about it this way. You’re zippin down a trail and for some unknown reason you lose control and get pitched off your bike. There usually is a brief moment when you’re flying through the air and know that you’re going to hit the ground hard. That would be a bad time to recall that you left your safety gear at the camp site and didn’t put it on!
Why do I say this? Been there done that.lol
Wear the gear every time you ride. You can putt around the camp site without the gear when you are sure that you’re just going to go slow. Never do a stunt with no gear on thinking, hay I’ve done this thousands of time with no issue. That’s usually when something happens.

I knew a young guy that just got married and had his own business and was very well off for his age. He was a world champion water skier and liked to ride bikes. He jumped on his friend’s bike and went up the road and turned around and came back. He was just going up the street and back and he didn’t even go fast. He lost control at less then 30mph and crashed right in front of his whole family. I went to his funeral three days later!

Always wear your gear!

HondaRacing83
11-09-2011, 04:20 PM
ouch :/^^^
makes me reconsider. i never wear a chest protector, my safety gear consists of my thor riding boots, no fear riding pants, helmet, oakleys, and dirtpaws. so the whole setup without that basically. i hate wearing a jersey, ive got a few brand new one that came with sets. i usually just wear a t or hoodie.

slightlybent47
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Helmet and boots are a must, the other stuff is optional. But the more you wear the better.
Here is another way to look at it. Football players wear gear much like we do and run at what, 15 mph at best and are in great shape and they still get hurt all the time.

Let’s say your doing 40 mph and you hit a tree or you fall off and your 400+ lb bike lands on you. Still want to be naked?
Try to lift your bike, heavy isn’t it? Quads tend to throw you off and then run over you.lol

slightlybent47
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Try this. Go on you tube and look up atv crashes and watch a few of them.
That should convince you.

slightlybent47
11-09-2011, 05:36 PM
My other pet peeve is not wearing eye protection when riding. Just think of all the things you couldn’t do if you couldn’t see?
Just think of all the pretty girls you’d never see!

HondaRacing83
11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
My other pet peeve is not wearing eye protection when riding. Just think of all the things you couldn’t do if you couldn’t see?
Just think of all the pretty girls you’d never see! ah. me to! goggles are a must for me! i value my eyesight to much!

coryatver
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
HRP. Real chest protectors. I think they are way better than the main stream brands. They also are the same company as skorbordz so they make a number plate backgrounds that fit there chest protectors good

http://www.hrpsports.com/MotocrossOffroad/tabid/350/CategoryID/8/Level/a/SortField/1/List/1/Default.aspx

wolfe 21
11-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm not saying the gear isn't necessary or that I don't need it. I will freely admit when I first got my bike I rode without more than with and that my friends still do. Fortunately, after the first time I got off hard I realized that more gear is definitely better. I still try to convince my friends they need helmets and gloves at least, but they're grown adults that don't think they have to listen to me (though so far I am the only one to get bounced hard).
My personal "oh crap" moment was making it to within 5 feet of the top of a single track dirt hill climb then watching my bike come over backwards and tumble down the hill. I still don't know how I got to walk away from that, but I recognize that it was my own stupidity that put me there in the first place. That's when I decided the gear was gonna be a must. Like I said, I don't do stunts or jumps and I don't race, but I just don't possess the skills that the guys I ride with have which is putting me in a situation where more protection is better.

James

quad2xtreme
11-10-2011, 06:38 AM
We pretty much ride as hard as we can in the woods without losing total control. Gear is a must...even wear my Leatt brace.

If I putted on a utility quad and didn't do hillclimbs, I'd be tempted not to wear protection too. That day won't happen and I know myself but I do see people out on the easiest trails going lawnmower speed. I can't imagine they are traveling fast enough to roll and they don't climb anything that requires a 4X4. I just don't understand how these people see a nice hill climb and aren't tempted to do it. If there is a sign that says Dangerous, Do Not Enter, I see a sign that says "Come on Jon, we made this trail for you". :p

slightlybent47
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
We pretty much ride as hard as we can in the woods without losing total control. Gear is a must...even wear my Leatt brace.

If I putted on a utility quad and didn't do hillclimbs, I'd be tempted not to wear protection too. That day won't happen and I know myself but I do see people out on the easiest trails going lawnmower speed. I can't imagine they are traveling fast enough to roll and they don't climb anything that requires a 4X4. I just don't understand how these people see a nice hill climb and aren't tempted to do it. If there is a sign that says Dangerous, Do Not Enter, I see a sign that says "Come on Jon, we made this trail for you". :p

What about the goon you don’t see coming out of no where that plows into you?
Like death itself you can never be sure when or where it will come from.

I’m sure we have all ridden a few times without a helmet, weather we plan to go slow or not. I’m guilty.
Here’s the thing. Circumstance! One guy crashes at high speed and has an incredible wipeout and walks away with just a few scratches. Then there is the guy that trips over his own feet and falls down and breaks a leg.
One guy gets shot in the head and lives and the other guy dies form a small bump on the head. Circumstance!

CJM
11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I always wear a helmet, goggles and workboots (cant stand mx boots). I tried a brace and hated it, tried a chest protector and didnt like it either.

But I wont go anywhere without the first 3 items..stupid if you dont wear a helmet.

earlywine
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
We carry a new type of chest protector that is much more protective and very comfortable. It is a riding vest like what bull riders wear. My son races both quads and dirt bikes and he loves his. It works great with the Leatt he wears and will also work with other neck braces. It provides support and protection on the sides as well as the front & back which is a very good thing if a handlebar catches you in the ribs. Message me if anyone wants more info.

slightlybent47
11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I have always wondered why no one has addressed the issue of side protection with a chest protector. The vest idea sounds like a good one for cool riding. But how hot are they in the summer? I ride with a nylon riding jacket with back, shoulder and elbow pads on my street bike and it works real good and has vents for cooling. Does the vest have vents? Give us some more info please.

Message sent.