PDA

View Full Version : My 04 Mx/play bike...!

jjohns5
11-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Here's a pic of my build loving it so far...

jjohns5
11-07-2011, 03:26 PM
pics

njquadracer11
11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
motor details??

jjohns5
11-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by njquadracer11
motor details??

simple right now ,just a Dasa pipe jet kit and filter

parts include:
Fourwerx A57 hood
Rath f/bumper
Hinson cover
Dasa pipe/filter jet kit
Walsh +1 chrome stem
Walsh stainless swingarm bolt
Walsh Flow arms
Walsh sub
Lsr pro axle
Dwt G2 w/mxr6
set of T9 beadlocks w/sand stars
quad-tech seat and master guard
Jb superlink swinger
Axis rear,Pb1 fronts
09 tank conversion
Custom spastic graffics
renthal bars
Roll nerfs
Lsr stem clamp
Streamline brakelines

..I think thats all

400eXz
11-07-2011, 07:16 PM
somethings missing i just cant put my finger on it....

jjohns5
11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 400eXz
somethings missing i just cant put my finger on it....
Lol...shocks are at Axis, the lower arms are at powder,still waiting on the sub from Ups

jjohns5
11-07-2011, 11:36 PM
parts

jjohns5
11-07-2011, 11:37 PM
uppers...

Balaz_73*00
11-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Looking forward to seeing this beast come together. Looks like you do clean, quality work. Take lots of pics as she comes together!

blacknblue#2
11-08-2011, 08:48 AM
how did you find such a clean 04. that clutch cover has never been touched with a boot lol

Balaz_73*00
11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I was thinking the same. Either new cover, but the cases look mint too. I am jealous!!

jjohns5
11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
how did you find such a clean 04. that clutch cover has never been touched with a boot lol

Everything is original, it has a handful of rides on it and was always garaged,it is a family bike that I kind of took over and started building

rollie
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Looking good, i really like the spaz graphics!

jjohns5
11-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys,I will post pics as I progress to keep you all informed.

jjohns5
11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Picked up some more goodies

jjohns5
11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I thought this would be good for a laugh....This was my first impression of my used walsh sub from a member on here,I know all of us can appreciate this.I wish they would just pack it right.Lol...!

jjohns5
11-10-2011, 08:05 PM
But she turned out just right..May send it to powdercoat and get it a satin black like my lower arms,not sure.

400exHondaRider
11-11-2011, 07:49 PM
get that subframe on and get some pics haha

jjohns5
11-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exHondaRider
get that subframe on and get some pics haha

Will do..I ended up sending it in for a satin black powdercoat today,although the powder was good I just did'nt like the white.Waiting on some hardware for the lower arms then I will get some pics of the front end together,not sure on front shock set up yet?

400exHondaRider
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
ah gotcha, should look very good with subframe same as the a arms, any plans of powdercoating the whole frame? and since your doing this practically as a "walsh" quad you should umm a... ditch that jb swinger and throw on a walsh as well.

jjohns5
11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
ah gotcha, should look very good with subframe same as the a arms, any plans of powdercoating the whole frame? and since your doing this practically as a "walsh" quad you should umm a... ditch that jb swinger and throw on a walsh as well.

Lol..yeah I think I may go with a Jb stem not sure but I have to keep the graffics sponsor logo's going.The plan was to use the walsh stem that I have but I want go with the newer style or maybe even a Jb.I'm going to go with the Jb tank strap they make so that'll make two things on the bike for sure from Jb,Ha...Just bought a house with no garage so it's kind of different working on it in the trailor but I would like to gusset and powder the frame next year.

400exHondaRider
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
ah ic, well so far the quad looks bad@$$ and should turn out really great know matter what else you do to it, but on another note i notced you got a hinson clutch cover? you interested in selling the stocker? i just cracked mine trying to get my dang swing arm bolt out its a pita lol

jjohns5
11-12-2011, 05:41 AM
ah ic, well so far the quad looks bad@$$ and should turn out really great know matter what else you do to it, but on another note i notced you got a hinson clutch cover? you interested in selling the stocker? i just cracked mine trying to get my dang swing arm bolt out its a pita lol

Going to hold on to it for now,but I will definetly let you know as I get closer to being finished,Thanks

jjohns5
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Alright wanted to get a lower profile foam so picked up the new 06 cover and foam from the upholstery shop today and it turned out nice.Got the sub back early,Pics up.Stll waiting on the hardware for the lower arms.Should have the sub,pipe,and full rear end buttoned up soon.Not sure on the Front shock set up yet?...Pics to come

jjohns5
11-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Picked up the sub after work today,have a couple days off coming up so it should be a good chance to get some things done!

jjohns5
11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Had some time to work on my bike...Just excuse the upper fender brackets being backwards..Lol

jjohns5
11-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Pics

jjohns5
11-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Pics

jjohns5
11-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Pics..I wish I had powdercoated the frame oh well!

jjohns5
11-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Had a little time to do a mock up and threw myself a curve ball and sold my Pro-airs, Going with Pb1's in the near future...

jjohns5
11-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Front end

jjohns5
11-23-2011, 10:06 PM
pics

jjohns5
11-23-2011, 10:12 PM
More pics

Lquad71
11-25-2011, 07:57 AM
pb1's=good choice! but why the change?

jjohns5
11-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Lquad71
pb1's=good choice! but why the change?

Well there's nothing wrong with Axis but I talked to alot of people about the Pep Pb1 and have heard nothing but great reviews which pushed me to change it up,still undecided if I'm going with new or a nice used set.

Lquad71
11-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Yea well you will definitely be happy with the PEP's. If you do happen to go with a new set we are a dealer for PEP and they are built by Wayne Mooradian (owner of pep). If you go with a used set i would highly recommend getting them revalved for your specific application.

jjohns5
11-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Yea well you will definitely be happy with the PEP's. If you do happen to go with a new set we are a dealer for PEP and they are built by Wayne Mooradian (owner of pep). If you go with a used set i would highly recommend getting them revalved for your specific application.

Cool,I will keep you in mind,still have a few dollars to save for a new set and I'm working with someone right now looking at their used set they have for sale,would definetly have them revalved and set up for me if I go used...I'm from Southern California(San Diego)south of riverside,use to work alot up that way,sure miss riding out at Glamis!!

Lquad71
11-26-2011, 09:41 AM
yea thats not too far at all. and im sure that baldwin and sf also help out with issues but with my experience with wayne and his customers, you can call him and he will help you out with any part of your quad for setup or basically anything, especially if the shocks arent working how you want them to. He is in montclair, california. (northwest of riverside)

DnB_racing
11-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by jjohns5
Cool,I will keep you in mind,still have a few dollars to save for a new set and I'm working with someone right now looking at their used set they have for sale,would definetly have them revalved and set up for me if I go used...I'm from Southern California(San Diego)south of riverside,use to work alot up that way,sure miss riding out at Glamis!! did you buy the set that was valved for a 145lb rider?...

I was looking at them also but didnt want to spend a grand and then still have to spend a few hundred more to have then valved and serviced...

I was thinking if im going to spend 1300 and still have used looking shocks, I might just be patient and save a few hundred more and get brand new..

if you get them let me know if it was worth it, or if it would be better to just get new

EDIT: I just saw they were for 175lb rider,,, they might be worth it???

jjohns5
11-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
did you buy the set that was valved for a 145lb rider?...

I was looking at them also but didnt want to spend a grand and then still have to spend a few hundred more to have then valved and serviced...

I was thinking if im going to spend 1300 and still have used looking shocks, I might just be patient and save a few hundred more and get brand new..

if you get them let me know if it was worth it, or if it would be better to just get new

Nope didn't end up getting those, never got a response from the seller but I keep leaning toward new; unless a really nice used set pop up.Just like to have them ready to go,no revalve ect...

jjohns5
11-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
did you buy the set that was valved for a 145lb rider?...

Nope didn't end up getting those, never recieved more pictures ect. from the seller but I keep leaning toward new; unless a really nice used set pop up.Just like to have them ready to go,no revalve ect...

jjohns5
11-27-2011, 09:06 PM
yea thats not too far at all. and im sure that baldwin and sf also help out with issues but with my experience with wayne and his customers, you can call him and he will help you out with any part of your quad for setup or basically anything, especially if the shocks arent working how you want them to. He is in montclair, california. (northwest of riverside)

I have read alot of great things about Wayne and what he did with(set up,valving) Pep shocks in the past so I will definitly keep this in mind, I still have not purchased a set.

Lquad71
11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
I have no problem with what you choose to go with, i was just giving you another option that could help you out. and yes Wayne invented the shocks so he has pretty much everything to do with PEP existing.haha

jjohns5
11-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the helpful advice.....Build update, I purchased a red quad-tech hood,want to keep the lights front and rear, but I really like the look of the hood and its easy enought to take the front light off and on so I went with a hood.Going to get the inserts on the hood powdercoated black along with the rear beadlock rings on the G2's.Working on probably a Walsh +1 stem(maybe Jb?) still in betweeen Black or tripple show chrome..I found a pretty good deal on Walsh,this will be the only chrome on the bike and I though it should stand out well.And of course the Pb1's after the stem,hood and wheels....Pictures to come

update:Just purchased a chrome Walsh stem w/black clamp,on sale at Nacs racing couldn't pass it up!

jjohns5
12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Well,this build is going to take a little longer than expected.Sending my rear Axis back to get it set up for the Jb superlink rear end,it will only cost me labor to have it lengthened and revalved because it is brand new.Decided to go long travel all around.Will also be better on the resale value if I was ever to sell it(not likely any time soon..Lol).Have a few swingarms in mind used but again probably going to a new set up,it seems one season is all people run this rear ends for, then they ditch them, so I'm weary of stress cracks. The pb1's may be on the back burner for a while or I could just go with Axis front springs again and save about $800 to get the bike done sooner?Have all winter to do this build so some changes may be ahead.I figured if I've come this far I might as well take a step further and make it right.Next pics to come should be the stem and hood...stay tooned!!

Ps:This Jb swingarm is for sale,I will let it go cheap and its Brand new and if anyone out their has a very nice superlink set up (less than a season on)that they think I may be interested in,Pm me.

rollie
12-02-2011, 06:53 AM
you will LOVE the superlink, i just sold mine 2 months ago when i parted my bike out, but that was single handedly the best part of my quad:p i could pretty much seat hop any jump and the front end would never dive.

http://i42.tinypic.com/24ocy90.jpg

jjohns5
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by rollie
you will LOVE the superlink, i just sold mine 2 months ago when i parted my bike out, but that was single handedly the best part of my quad:p i could pretty much seat hop any jump and the front end would never dive.

http://i42.tinypic.com/24ocy90.jpg

Yeah I read some of your threads when you were selling your bike and have heard from others about how awesome it works.I also know that one of the weakest points on the 04,05 model is the standard swingarm/linkage combo so it just makes sense to fix it right!!

jjohns5
12-08-2011, 09:35 PM
So I pulled the trigger and placed an order on some brand new Pb1's from Seth at SF,let me just say how professional and easy this guy is to work with and these shocks are definetly custom to your riding style.The questions he asked me and the information that I gave him has never been asked from any other company that I have purchased shocks from in the past, I can only speak for Axis and Elka,not saying anything is wrong with these others but I was truly impressed....Still waiting on the stem and sent some more stuff to powder...Pictures to come!!

Lquad71
12-08-2011, 11:24 PM
just wait till you finally get to ride on them:D

jjohns5
12-16-2011, 10:28 AM
just wait till you finally get to ride on them:D

Yeah i can't wait,they should be done any day.I talked to Seth on the 14th and he said they were almost complete,fast turn around for shocks.

400exHondaRider
12-18-2011, 08:54 AM
any updates?

jjohns5
12-18-2011, 09:03 AM
any updates?

Shocks should be ready to ship this week,waiting on the stem from Walsh and I sent the rear Axis back to get set up for a Jb superlink.I have the hood with powdercoated inserts ready to install so I will have some front end pictures up soon w/shocks.With Christmass and all I'm kind of holding off on other stuff right now.My next main focus will be the rear end...

jjohns5
12-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Just thought I'd throw up a picture of my only progress these past couple weeks the G2's and mxr6's.I've been busy with the holiday's.Saving up for my JB superlink and talked to Seth today,I should see them next week.That triple show chrome on the stem takes some time from Walsh so that's also on its way.Everyone have a good Christmas!!

jjohns5
12-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Pic of the hood I'am going to run,number plate to match the spastics...

89trx250r
12-27-2011, 12:28 AM
This is a nice build ive been watching it from the start :) Have you thought about getting one of these since you have some other nice carbon parts

http://www.fwcarbon.com/products/fwc-trx450r-carbon-carburetor-heat-shield

jjohns5
12-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
This is a nice build ive been watching it from the start :) Have you thought about getting one of these since you have some other nice carbon parts

http://www.fwcarbon.com/products/fwc-trx450r-carbon-carburetor-heat-shield

Nice, Jason makes some great carbon products. I haven't seen these before, I will definetly have to take a look at what he has to offer. I already have my eye on his shock guards for the Pb1's but I have to get my funds back in order first, Thanks

89trx250r
12-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes sir I just thought it seemed like a nice form and function piece (no motor likes hot gas!) And yeah i understand about getting the funds back up PB1's arent cheap but they sure are amazing :)!!

jjohns5
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
Yes sir I just thought it seemed like a nice form and function piece (no motor likes hot gas!) And yeah i understand about getting the funds back up PB1's arent cheap but they sure are amazing :)!!

Haha, I'm pretty broke after Christmas, I also bought a new chainsaw and some supplies to do a little winter burning and clean up around the house so my plate is definitely full at the moment...Lol

jjohns5
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
More parts...

Zryder85
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
You have a nive build going. So did you end up with Jb suprlink set up?

jjohns5
12-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Zryder85
You have a nive build going. So did you end up with Jb suprlink set up?

I'm currently rebuilding my funds up to purchase one, I sold my other Jb swinger and I did send the shock back to Axis to get it set up for one, so that is in the works...

catch22blaster
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Just thought I'd throw up a picture of my only progress these past couple weeks the G2's and mxr6's.I've been busy with the holiday's.Saving up for my JB superlink and talked to Seth today,I should see them next week.That triple show chrome on the stem takes some time from Walsh so that's also on its way.Everyone have a good Christmas!!

those tires look familar haha
nice man hope the build continues to go well i no it costs a fortune to build a bike hahha.

jjohns5
12-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes it does...thanks for the great deal on the tires!!!

jjohns5
12-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Ups came through and I always enjoy the quality of Walsh products...

B.C.#11TRX400EX
12-29-2011, 11:23 PM
That is an awsome bike your building, your building your quad right!!!!im looking forward to see the finished product!!!

jjohns5
12-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
That is an awsome bike your building, your building your quad right!!!!im looking forward to see the finished product!!!

I appreciate the compliment, the Pb1's shipped yesterday from SF so I should see them next Thursday and will take some pics, I had the springs powder coated so that took some extra time. I should have some time to get some more work done next week.

jjohns5
12-30-2011, 09:51 AM
This is what my shocks should look like, the only difference is the red will be the Eibach maroon color and the silver will be more of a charcoal grey, we'll see how close they are when they arrive?

B.C.#11TRX400EX
12-30-2011, 10:53 AM
whats it look like now with the new hood and stem on?

jjohns5
12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
whats it look like now with the new hood and stem on?

This is where it stands at the moment...Haha. I will get some pics of it installed as soon as I can.

catch22blaster
12-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Gona be sweet man

jjohns5
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by catch22blaster
Gona be sweet man

Thanks, here is some more progress. Just a heads up, if you get a chrome stem be sure to bring a dremel tool or something when installing to account for the chrome, your tie rod ends won't fit and the stem won't sit in the bearing on the frame...

jjohns5
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
More of the front end

jjohns5
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
One more...

huntertaylor98
01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
any updates

jjohns5
01-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by huntertaylor98
any updates
Axis finished the shock for my Jb superlink today so that's on the way back and my Pep Pb1's should be here tommarrow, I will post a picture when they arrive, slow go on the build, I have alot going right now...

55stone
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
love this build cant wait to see it done.. no hurry man even though i cant wait to see it.. builds always end up taking way longer than expected and costing way more than expected lol.. it will all be worth it in the end lol.. awesome build :-)

jjohns5
01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 55stone
love this build cant wait to see it done.. no hurry man even though i cant wait to see it.. builds always end up taking way longer than expected and costing way more than expected lol.. it will all be worth it in the end lol.. awesome build :-)

Thanks alot, it's costing me a little more that I first anticipated but I decided to do a quality build so it can hold the value for a resale in the future hopefully...I should have some Pb1's today later and I'm working on a pretty killer deal on a brand new superlink rear that I just can't pass on from Hetric Racing, It's silver which I just have to settle for, I may have it repowdered black if the deal goes through...I'll keep you all posted!!!

jjohns5
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Got some Pb1's in the mail...

jjohns5
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Shocks

jjohns5
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Pep

400exHondaRider
01-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Those shocks are bad@$$!! Great build, what else do you need besides the swinger?

jjohns5
01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Those shocks are bad@$$!! Great build, what else do you need besides the swinger?

Thanks, I was wanting more of a charcoal grey but I can't complain, the covers will be on 100% of the time. Off the top of my head, swinger, chain, Dasa jet kit, Jb tank strap and some time plus more money to get the build done, Lol. I have a verbal deal on the superlink just waiting on paypal info from the seller.

jjohns5
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Well after looking over my shocks I've decided to have the lower springs powdercoated black, I'm kind of picky on my builds and think the maroon clashes too much with the bike all together?

jjohns5
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Little update, I sent the lower springs on my shocks to powder, going with a satin black and the deal went through on the silver Jb superlink from Hetrick Racing so that will be on its way Monday...

jjohns5
01-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Pic

jjohns5
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Axis arrived today and is now set for the rear end, I should have the swingarm Monday. Now I'm just getting some of the little things like lower shock bolts and swingarm pivot seals from service Honda; going to have the lower rear shock spring coated black and the upper silver to match my fronts...

Moto Pro472
01-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Quality build right here. Props

twink07
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Why did you go with a axis rear shock ??? And not a pep

jjohns5
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by twink07
Why did you go with a axis rear shock ??? And not a pep

Originaly was going with all Axis but I sold my Pro Airs in mid build, kept my new standard travel Axis rear and just had it modified for the Jb superlink instead of selling a brand new shock and losing money, just wanted to save...only $175 for the mod.

catch22blaster
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Build is looking good bud. Excited to see the shocks on the bike.
Yea i had the perfect pep rear shock set up for superlink for you lol. but yea cant complain on 175 to change it instead of 900 for my pep.

If you need a rear shock canister holder that bolts onto grab bar ive got a new pep one ill sell u. let me know.

catch22blaster
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Yea i had the perfect pep rear shock set up for superlink for you lol. but yea cant complain on 175 to change it instead of 900 for my pep.

If you need a rear shock canister holder that bolts onto grab bar ive got a new pep one ill sell u. let me know.

jjohns5
01-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I tried saving where I could and thanks I will let you know if I need that holder...

jjohns5
01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Just wanted to give Hetrick Racing props for the killer deal on the new superlink. I like the silver but I think it will be better black!!!

catch22blaster
01-19-2012, 11:51 AM
hows the powdercoating coming along???
heres tht clamp $50 shipped

jjohns5
01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
hows the powdercoating coming along???
heres tht clamp $50 shipped

Slow go, springs are still at powder. I ended up going with charcoal grey uppers and black lowers on all of them because I wasn't happy with the color. I'm also getting the Jb swingarm coated black. That clamp won't work with my shock because the res hose is to short to go all the way back to the grab bar where it mounts or else I would grab it...

catch22blaster
01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
lol seth gave u a short line ehh.
icic well I no the swinger will look sweet black i love mine. An nice them springs will looks sweet I never seen ppl pc the springs colors b4.

jjohns5
01-19-2012, 11:19 PM
lol seth gave u a short line ehh.
icic well I no the swinger will look sweet black i love mine. An nice them springs will looks sweet I never seen ppl pc the springs colors b4.

Yeah, actually the rear was set up by Axis but it's shorter. I decided to do a matching color scheme througout the bike instead of the red,blue,white Pep's and the blue, maroon Axis. I heard it messes with the spring rate on the shock when you have them powdercoated but I don't think it will make much of a difference and it will look cool!!

fastredrider44
01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I heard it messes with the spring rate on the shock when you have them powdercoated but I don't think it will make much of a difference and it will look cool!!

I've powdered lots of springs and never had a problem with it.

Bike's lookin good man.

jjohns5
01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I've powdered lots of springs and never had a problem with it.

Bike's lookin good man.

I didn't think it would be a big deal. Looks count for some of the bike imo...Thanks

jjohns5
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I have to say this is much nicer, the swingarm is at powder.

jjohns5
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM

jjohns5
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM

jjohns5
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Threw the shocks on and snapped some more pics, that's all I had time for.

jjohns5
01-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Front end

rollie
01-24-2012, 02:18 PM
:eek: ...

McCrillis
01-24-2012, 09:00 PM
You should paint the radiator fins black...

jjohns5
01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by McCrillis
You should paint the radiator fins black...

Yeah that would look good, this build is winding down and I'm just about finished putting money in this one. I just need to find the time to actually put it together...lol

catch22blaster
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
such a beautiful site haha almost looks like im looking at my own bike lol but i got jb aarms lol. looking good bud

jjohns5
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catch22blaster
such a beautiful site haha almost looks like im looking at my own bike lol but i got jb aarms lol. looking good bud [/QU

Thanks, I'm happy I went for the different color on the springs the maroon and silver just didn't do the bike much justice. All I need is a chain, Jb tank strap, Dasa jet kit, install the front and rear brake lines,Hinson cover, get my swinger/rear shock/axle on after powder, bolt the G2's on and I'm in buisness...

catch22blaster
01-24-2012, 10:03 PM
welcome. yea the springs give it a good look something different front the normal looking springs for sure.
So prolly about another solid 3 wks to month an she will be hitting the dirt braap!!

jjohns5
01-25-2012, 04:58 AM
welcome. yea the springs give it a good look something different front the normal looking springs for sure.
So prolly about another solid 3 wks to month an she will be hitting the dirt braap!!

I hope so...Between work, school and home life its been tough but it's definitely close.

jjohns5
01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Well, I'm glad this bike is close to a finish because I found a deal on my next project. I'm currently in the process of buying a Full Walsh crf Hybrid chassis, swingarm, a-arms, stem, sub and 03' Crf motor to throw in it. I have always loved the 250r geometry and selling my 88' 2 years ago made me miss it. It's going to be a long project but I know it will be well worth it and a hell of alot of fun...

jjohns5
01-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Installed the front brake lines, the rear shock and link, bolted the exhaust back on and put the shock covers on. I'm expecting the swingarm back from powder this week so I should have the wheels and tires and it atleast rolling soon...and i was wrong "catch22blaster" the line is longer they must have put a longer res line at Axis when I had my shock in for the change. I have to save my pennies at the moment because I need to pay off my Walsh crf but I may be interested in that clamp later on down the rode if you still have it, Thanks

jjohns5
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Pics

danhung11
01-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Dude... That's a clean 04 right there, nice work Josh. Keep up the great work!

jjohns5
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
Dude... That's a clean 04 right there, nice work Josh. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Dan, good to see you're still building Honda's!!!

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Finally have it rolling, I still have a few things to do like fix the rear res, and put the rear brake line on, bleed front and rear ect... but here is the bike as whole.

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Pics

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Pics

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Pics

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Pics

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Pics

jjohns5
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Pics

Lquad71
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
looks like you're going to have a lot of fun real soon! let us know what you think of the change to PEP.

jjohns5
02-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Will do, I'm pretty sure I'm going all Pep on my Crf Hybrid once I get going on it. When I get a chance and a little time I think I might tear this one down and get the frame powdered black, later on down the road...

Zryder85
02-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Very very nice quad. Enjoy it and do give us a ride report when you have a chance.

jjohns5
02-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Zryder85
Very very nice quad. Enjoy it and do give us a ride report when you have a chance.

Thanks Man, I have a ride trip planned very soon so i will give you all some feedback on the Pb1's and how well it works with the Axis rear and superlink...

jjohns5
02-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Worked on the bike a little more today(no pics yet). I couldn't stand that res being mounted on the side, the hose was way too long, even too long to mount it on the side of the grab bar so I mounted it on the back of the sub frame in between the grab bar and back of the frame, it should be safe there and it looks alot cleaner. I removed the parking brake, bled the front and rear brakes, set the brake lines on the a-arms, put the dasa filter on and fired it up. I love the deep sound of that Dasa but I still need to get it jetted it was popping a little when I layed on it. A few more changes in mind, stayed tooned...

Jake250ex
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
that thing is gorgeous man. cleanest non restored 04 Im willing to bet

jjohns5
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
that thing is gorgeous man. cleanest non restored 04 Im willing to bet

Thanks, yeah it is pretty much showroom and all original except for the new mods, I think it has about 10hrs. total...I fired it up yesterday after sitting for over a year and it fired on the second kick and idled like new. I'm going to change all fluids and jet it then it should be purring...Keeping this motor stock!!

Bruno
02-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Super clean Bike looks great!

Jake250ex
02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Keeping this motor stock!!

smart man.

jjohns5
02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
smart man.

Just want this one to be problem free and reliable, figured it should fly with the minor motor mods, and the suspension should make a huge difference...

jjohns5
02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Changes...changes, swaped the tank graffics and I have my eye on the new A57 hood from Fourwerx, put the hinson cover on, still buttoning this one up, I will have some finished pics to close the build...

jjohns5
02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to show off Jason's A57 hood from fourwerx, this is one of the first products I have purchased from him and the quality is second to none, he has my buisness...

jjohns5
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
A57

jjohns5
02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
A57

trx400Rider
02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
that really is a sick 450r, wish i could build one like yours!
Where did you get the DASA? Im wanting one for my 450r.
How loud is it?

jjohns5
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by trx400Rider
that really is a sick 450r, wish i could build one like yours!
Where did you get the DASA? Im wanting one for my 450r.
How loud is it?

Thanks Man, not sure on the Dbs of the pipe it is fairly loud, but sounds good; I bought it off of ebay when they were around $479 new

jjohns5
03-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Done

jjohns5
03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Pics

HoleshotR15
03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
SO sick man, nice job. Lets get one from the front so we can see how fierce that hood looks.

400exHondaRider
03-11-2012, 04:31 PM
How much to buy it? Haha

DnB_racing
03-11-2012, 04:41 PM
How much to buy it? Haha lol....

also if you part it out I might be interested in some bumper bolts:devil:

jjohns5
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the compliments, (not for sale...Lol, man that may be worth it, if I can move the bumper bolts first let the part out begin, Lol...)

This was a fun build for sure...I will get some front end pics up soon.

trx400Rider
03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Sooo sick man!
I like the fact that you kept the frame color stock. It looks real good.
For me its a toss up between Yosh and Dasa. Not sure which one i want.
Can you make your Dasa 96-94 DB's? for the track

jjohns5
03-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by trx400Rider
Sooo sick man!
I like the fact that you kept the frame color stock. It looks real good.
For me its a toss up between Yosh and Dasa. Not sure which one i want.
Can you make your Dasa 96-94 DB's? for the track

I think the Joe-Byrd Dasa is right in there as far as DB's but I may be wrong, i'm sure you can get one that will work give Dasa a call, I here the new Yosh is awesome too...

jjohns5
08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Well, I had this thing sold, but ended up unloading my Walsh crf instead to the same person (thanks Jerry). This bike has been sitting and I'm just getting around to jetting the carb and adding a few new parts that will include:
Rath 44 series monster nerfs
James dean jett kit
Lsr front billet hubs
DID chain
poly case saver...pics to come

jjohns5
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Finally had a chance to mess with the jetting, but the only way I could get it to hold an idle was to turn the fuel screw almost all the way out and adjust the idle all the way up. looks like I'll be trying a bigger pilot jett. Rath monster nerfs will be here this week, Lsr hubs are on the way...

jjohns5
08-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Here's where my bike is at, lol. I jetted the carb and replaced all the srews with allen heads. It seems easier to start and idle better than when it came from the factory, this is good. I put the chain on and installed some Lsr fender fix for that annoying flap on the rear fenders. I'm just waiting for Rath to come through and my Lsr hubs, than we will be finished. Sorry for the long drawn out build, but after pouring over 6k into my Hybrid and still having more to go, I made a wise decision and sold it instead.

jjohns5
08-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Pics

jjohns5
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Jetted, fuel screw

89trx250r
08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Yea man hybrids cost a lot very quickly...Thats why in the early 90's and 2000's a good walsh or laeger hybrid cost around 25k-30k to build complete...People dont have that kind of money to shell out these days. Anyway your 450r is one of the nicest I have seen nice job sir!

jjohns5
08-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks man. Lsr hubs are on.

jjohns5
08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Hubs

CJM
08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
What kinda and where did you get that fuel screw?

jjohns5
08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by CJM
What kinda and where did you get that fuel screw?

That's a JD jetting fuel screw, short for James Dean Jetting.

jjohns5
09-08-2012, 07:41 AM
The Rath nerfs finally arrived yesterday, so I will have some finished pics up soon. I'm trying to sell my rear Axis to get a nice Pep on ebay, but having no luck, no big deal, looks like I will be running the Axis rear. Planning on a trip to Sand Mountain Nevada for Thanksgiving, bike should be fun.

eastside 400
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
just wondering why you stuck with the 05 carb? looks like you got some money in this thing and just curious. really nice looking bike, has that clean look

jjohns5
09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
just wondering why you stuck with the 05 carb? looks like you got some money in this thing and just curious. really nice looking bike, has that clean look

Just wanted to stay away from any motor work at the moment, maybe down the line though...

Here's some pics from today, as far as fitment on the nerfs they were just about on parr with everyone's comments, keep some ratchet straps on hand. The left side fit fairly well expect for me having to re-drill the holes on the aluminum block between the sub and heel guard to get it lined up. The right side was way off and had to be beat on with a dead blow carefully. I don't think they are comming off unless I cut them, lol!! On the other hand,the quality and look is great.

jjohns5
09-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Nerfs

jjohns5
09-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Bike

jjohns5
09-08-2012, 05:21 PM
The aluminum block between the heel guard and sub that I drilled larger to get lined up

jjohns5
09-08-2012, 05:24 PM

Stickman400
09-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Looks sick. It's a shame you're going to get it all dirty.:p Great job man!

CJM
09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
That's a JD jetting fuel screw, short for James Dean Jetting.

Thanks, just saw this now.

Edited to add:

Which fuel screw did you buy? They all say for FCR carbs-or you you have an FCR and not a keihin?

jjohns5
09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Put the Sand tires on, got a shorty gas tank breather, Lsr X-caps, Lsr block off plate, more stickers and she's ready for the dunes...

Down the road will be a nice modded motor.

ah665
09-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Super-nice, clean build. I don't know you guys keep your machines so nice lol. Great job on that thing though.