PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear brakes

rsf98
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM
going through brakes way too much. ive replaced rotor caliper and pads and get about 3 rides to a set of rear pads, wondering what could be the problem?

Scro
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Do you have an aftermarket rotor, or stock? Check to make sure the caliper is releasing when you let go of the pedal. It may need a good cleaning, or possibly a rebuild.

rsf98
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
rotor is aftermarket. one of the slotted type. and the caliper is mint as its only like 4 rides old just replaced it

rsf98
11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
could the switch by the brake pedal be bad? it seems to be releasing but maybe not all the way?

Scro
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by rsf98
could the switch by the brake pedal be bad? it seems to be releasing but maybe not all the way?

The switch is only there for the rear brake light, so it shouldn't be causing the problem. I've had one aftermarket rotor setup, and it ate through pads quite a bit faster than the stock rotor. Maybe not as fast as you're describing, but it was noticable. Try a set of OEM brake pads if you haven't already. They seem to last a little longer for me as well.

rsf98
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Scro
The switch is only there for the rear brake light, so it shouldn't be causing the problem. I've had one aftermarket rotor setup, and it ate through pads quite a bit faster than the stock rotor. Maybe not as fast as you're describing, but it was noticable. Try a set of OEM brake pads if you haven't already. They seem to last a little longer for me as well.

okay, but i dont have a brake light?, i mean by the pedal the cylender that the pedal pushes up on, maybe that is getting stiff and not releasing all the way keeping fluid pressure on the line a bit? and is there a place to buy a stock type rotor other than @ honda?

zk4fx
06-23-2012, 11:39 PM
You can get OEM parts at motosport.com or rockymountainatv.com.